Gaming on two lcd-screens - recommendable?

HonestIago

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I am currently using a 19" LCD Samsung 930BF and I am absolutely satisfied with it - now I just read about (ab)using two monitors for gaming but I could not find a list of games that do support this kind of display.
Gaming on my behalf is rather widespread, shooters, sports, adventures, rpgs (only thing I cannot stand are strategy games except turn-based ones).
Since I found nothing in the forums really relating to my question, I made up this new topic - should I get another Samsung monitor (figuring that using the same monitor makes sense) for about 260Euro or should I wait until my tv screen goes blank (it will happen over the next two years, I would guess...) and get a large tv screen and play on this one ( I do not watch many movies at home, so I do not really need the tv). My computer should be pretty much capable of everything, using a Conroe 6600 and a 7950GX for graphics.
Thanks for your input.
And maybe some of you can post their experiences with various games - whether it was easy to set them up and whether they run in full-screen or windowed mode.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I think your only considerations are: (a) which games will support dual monitor, and (b) how acceptible would the bezels be in the middle of your display.

HonestIago

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I would not mind the bezels in the middle, they are not that annoying - for gaming. Certainly I would not want that for watching tv but that is out of the question anyway. I checked around for a bit and saw that most of the lcd tv screens have a 720i resolution which is different to my current resolution on my screen (1024x1280) - is that resolution (720i) enough to play nicely on a screen that big (most of them are in the range of 30-32")?
Well, a list of games supporting dual view would be nice but as I stated, there might be the tricky part of how they support it - windowed or full screen and I will not trust any of the publishers' statements, therefore I hope a few people around here can post their experiences.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Actually, all 720 HDTVs are 720p. They would have to rescale the computer signal to match the TV's specs. Many HDTVs are 1080p now, but about $500 more expensive. While there is no *broadcast* 1080p signal (takes too much bandwidth), the 1080p's will accommodate HDMI peripherals.

Suggest you check out the 24" UXGAs, 1920x1200. Those apparently display just about everything well.

HonestIago

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I checked on the UXGAs but they are no good to me - they are pretty expensive, starting at 800Euro (I can get a good lcd-screen of 30" for that money) and they are too small to use them as a tv (for my needs). I can get a second monitor for about 260 Euro and have a combined picture that is a lot larger than 24" (admittedly, I would have the bezels inbetween). But I had not thought about the tvs' necessity to rescale the picture, which would probably lead to ugly distortions of my computer games - the bad thing is that you nowhere get to see these screens in action (sure, tv signal looks good, they are designed for it but I want to see the pc display as well) and I will not be shelling out money only to find out it is not what I wanted.
And the 1080i are out of question because of the price.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Maybe you could take your computer or a laptop to an electronics store and try a game on a 720p HDTV... that's the best way to know for sure.

It's a common problem. People want to display a computer signal on a TV, but the formats are not perfectly compatible. After all TVs are designed to display media input, not computer input. Still, many do a good job with the rescaling.

HonestIago

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
:) The idea of taking a laptop to a store over here is good - but obviously you have not been to a German store... customer service is still a term they need to look up in a dictionary :(

Thanks a lot for your input so far and maybe I will take my laptop there one day - accompanied by cameras :)