Apple Cinema 30' HD display as HDTV video monitor?

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Hey,

Im considering getting an Apple cinema HD 30' inch display especially since the price just dropped by $500 to around < $2K. Seems good considering when it was new it was around > 3K.

I am wondering if I could hook this monitor up to a HDV camera and use it as a production monitor or also as an HDTV. I asume it would work fine as and HDTV with a DVI to DVI cable from the digital cable box. And I asume if I wanted to hook a camera up to it I could get a DVI to composite cable adaptor for like 30 bucks.

So any know if they have tried this? I am concerned b/c the thing needs Dual Link DVI for it to work as a computer monitor so makes me wonder if will it except normal HDTV video from a regualr DVI cable - you know.
I dont know where to ask this question so I guess this might be the place where someone would know this...

Chubby_Rain

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
it should but the resolution will be smaller than if u used dual link from a PC vga card

i have a dell 30" monior... it is the same model to the apple (both from LG-Philips)...
if i wnat 2560x1600 i need to use dual link dvi if i dont have it i can use normal dvi but the resolution is smaller

so i think it is compatible with single dvi on the apple monitor because they are the same monitor except with different brand names on them

b1gn

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
The Apple 30" is a fine monitor, no doubt. However, one thing to be aware of with the Apple display is that, IIRC, it is not HDCP compliant. The Dell 24" is. and probably the 30" too. Although both use the same panel, the supporting electronics can make a difference like this.

Chubby_Rain

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
yeh ok the dell 30" is HDCP compliant...

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/30lcd_au?c=au&l=en&s=dhs

i am not sure about apple's one

besides who cares about plugging it into crappy dvd players etc... just use your PC

if you want a HDTV dont waste your money on an apple or dell 30" display . Get a 42" LCD HDTV monitor for the same price
the apple and dell monitors are ridiculously expensive for a 30" didsplay because they are for people who want the high 2560x1600 resolution which is only gained if you get a high-end vga adapter for your PC.
using these monitors for HDTV stuff is a total waste of money and for the same price you can go to a store and buy a standard 42" LCD monitor that is far bigger and will run HDTV just as well.
if you're a person who buys the monitor for HDTV camcorder and playing DVD's etc its a BIG waste of money.

b1gn

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
Chubby, you make good points, however, the original poster specifically said he wanted to use his monitor for both video production as well as an HDTV monitor.

The only time HDCP would matter is if you were using it to display a High Definition Content Protected signal, i.e. from a high def dvd player.

Both monitors would be great for what he wants.

One other thing to consider is that the Dell 30" is height adjustable (by 3.5") and has a multi media card reader and the Apple does not. The Apple does have Firewire and the Dell does not.

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Hi.

Aparently I have to buy this:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3459

...for it to work. This is becasue the apple 30 inch HD cinema display only will work with certain resolutions. these are:
* 2560 x 1600 pixels
* 2048 x 1280
* 1920 x 1200
* 1280 x 800
* 1024 x 640

...and none of these resolutions are 720p or 1080i or 1080p.
But if I buy the Gefen HD mate I can inport any componet video source to be scaled to a resolution that the apple 30 inch display can view. The only downside is that this HD mate is 350 bucks and not even out yet.