Trouble deciding on a 20"+ Widescreen LCD

emtilt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
I'm looking to buy an LCD widescreen monitor for use as a second display with my laptop. It will primarily be used for the usual desktop work and for watching movies. The latter funtion is kinda the problem; I don't really know what will be best for movies. Gaming performance is not an issue at all, because I only game occasionally and very casually.

I'm looking primarily at 20" monitors. The monitor must have VGA and DVI inputs and preferably S-Video and/or component video as well, but those are not required. USB ports, speakers, audio ports and other things of that nature don't matter all that much. My price range is from ~$200 to ~$600 (US).

I've been looking at a Dell UltraSharp 2007FP and a ViewSonic VX2025wm
(unfortunately, this one only has VGA/DVI ins, but if it's the best option I can live with that, I suppose). The Viewsonic did alright but not outstanding in Tom's Hardware reviews and pretty good in the bit-tech 20" widescreen monitor group test, but the Dell was not reviewed (in fact, most places seem not to have reviewed the Dell). CNet ranked them both highly. What I need to know is how these two monitors compare for movies and some desktop work, or if there is a better alternative. If anyone can provide me with any relevant info on these two or anything that might be better, I would be greatly appreciative.

travbomb

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Slightly more expensive but I would have to recommend the NEC 20WMGX2.

Will give you excellent performance with movies.

emtilt

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Why, exactly? Reviews seem to indicate that it isn't worth the extra cash because it doesn't really perform any better than slightly cheaper models. The Tom's Hardware review was somewhat negative, with bad overdrive, bad spatial uniformity, mediocre contrast at best, and not a very good black spot. The review goes so far as to say, "This is clearly not the best monitor for watching your favorite movies."

Of course, that's only one review, so it very well could be somewhat inaccurate. Do you own that model and use it for movies?

travbomb

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Well I am not going to bad mouth Toms Hardware seeing as this is their forum but I dont think they did a great job in their testing. See the two reviews I posted below. Also this monitor uses an S-IPS panel which is top of the line and not many other 20 wides currently do. ALong with that it has an array of inputs which you seemed to be looking for. I have used the 20 for movies and gaming and have not seen any issues or seen a monitor that reproduces the video better in a 20 wide. Please let me know what models you are referring too and I can let you know if I have any sort of comparison data.

http://www.macaddict.com/issues/2006/6/reviews/multisync

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,125924,00.asp

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
If 21" work for you then the Gateway Widescreen monitor is a very nice and attractive buy. I dont think it got GREAT reveiws but I seem to like it. =o)

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
I just bought the gateway today from circuit city today for 450.00 I told them they had it on there web site for 450.00. At the store it was 499.99 so they knocked it down 50.00 I played call of duty, world of warcraft and a couple of other things. I also have played black hawk down DVD.

Let me tell you this monitor kicks major butt!!! It looks 10 times better than the Dell 2007fpw widescreen. I read so many bad reviews about the Dell so I had to go else where. I also considered Apple but I'm not paying 800.00 for a 20 inch monitor!! The Gatway 21 inch widescreen is soo awsome, It exceeded my expectations! No dead pixels, or stuck one. It even comes with software to change any setting you want. I advise you to go to any circuit city or best buy to check out this monitor!

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Why, exactly? Reviews seem to indicate that it isn't worth the extra cash because it doesn't really perform any better than slightly cheaper models. The Tom's Hardware review was somewhat negative, with bad overdrive, bad spatial uniformity, mediocre contrast at best, and not a very good black spot. The review goes so far as to say, "This is clearly not the best monitor for watching your favorite movies."

Of course, that's only one review, so it very well could be somewhat inaccurate. Do you own that model and use it for movies?

Many reviewers simply don't like Brite screens and downgrade them all. If you haven't an opinion on Brite screens, you really owe it to yourself to check them out. (I think they blow away all the matte finished ones, and the NEC's are my favorite. Some people complain about the glare of the shiny screen, but if you can control the environment to cope with or eliminate the glare, you'll appreciate much more vibrant colors.)

Suggest you go to a Best Buy and check out the NEC's and compare to screens with a traditional finish. Circuit City has the Gateway 21", and it's very nice too. Unfortunately, I think it comes with only 1 year warranty... though you can purchase CC's extended coverage.

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
I would go to circuit city or bestbuy to look at the monitors! The gateway is the best unit they have. Make sure you get the DVI cable it make a big difference! I love my gateway 21 inch flap panel LCD!!!!

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I hear ya there. I have been wanting to pick one of these up for months now. I ended up buying a 42 inch plasma open box for 2k at the time though so I never got around to it and now im broke with a HUGE TV :tongue: