Whats up with the new Dell monitors?

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Have been reading a lot about the new dell 24" 2407FPW, and was really thinking about getting one until I stumbled upon this thread the other day:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=2407&start=350
In there it seems that several people, not just a few, are having major issues with the quality of the new model. You can see in several pictures the text looks awful and there looks to be a problem with color banding in this model as well. Apparently Dell has revised the model two or three times (it was on A02 last I read) and people are still complaining about the monitor having problems.
I really wanted to get one of these but now I'm not sure what to think, it seems almost everyone who's got one is unhappy with it, and wishes they could still get the old 2405 model instead.
I just wanted to know if anybody on here owns one and can comment on the quality of it for a computer monitor? I don't care about the component video inputs and whatnot using it for PS2 or a DVD player, I just want it for computing purposes like reading text, adobe programs and possibly some gaming in the future.
While on the topic I figured I'd ask to - what's dells policy on returns and exchanges? If I really don't like it can I send it back for a refund? Same goes for an exchange, I read about some people saying they would 'hold on to theirs until Dell releases a newer revision and exchange it'. Does this mean when dell releases an A03 or whatever you can send it back and get a new one free of charge? I'd assume that I would have to pay the shipping charges to send it back in either case, or is this something Dell covers as well?
Thanks to anyone who can offer some solid input on this, I need a new monitor asap and have to decide on something quick.

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
Yeah I hear this new model doesn't even have that res. It's like 1600x900 stretched or something like that. I can still get one of the 2405's off of ebay or a third party seller, but then Dell won't offer full service for it if you don't buy it from them.

Rall

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Yes I was looking for the new Dell 20inch widescreen or the 24 but after reading the reviews I decided not to buy a dell!!!! Everyone is returning them!!!!!! Go read Dell forums!!! I decided to buy a Gateway 21 widescreen and god it is so much better then the 20 inch Dell. My brother has the 2005fpw version wich is a good monitor but mine looks much better. If I had to buy a dell I would get the last years model! But why should you have to do that? I bought the Gateway for 450 from circuit city and it was worth every dollar!

travbomb

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I think the lesson to be learned here is that you should not buy Dell. Any manufacturer that is will change the panel in their monitors without informing the customers by changing the part number is not a good company.