21"+ CRT or LCD for gaming (syntax Olivia)

EvilEgg

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
My 21" ViewSonic P225f is dying. So i'm on the lookout for a new monitor. I want something that is at least as big or bigger.

I looked at some 20" LCD's monitors and all of them have bad responce times, low contrast, ..... and are still very expensive.

I looked at the Syntax Olivia 26" LCD - TV (Model: LT26HVX) How does it work for gaming? I play games such as BF2, UT2004 and Half-Life2 (a lot of fast paced games)

Or should i just stick with CRT?

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Stick with CRT - only worth switching to LCD if you are going to get one that is truely HD Ready (1080p) with all the problems you described ironed out and these atm are few and far between with a large price tag if you can find one. :( JVC, Philips and Sony are making some of these 1080p models but they are monstrously expensive and no doubt will not be perfect for gaming!!

While most of the LCDs are HD ready they just about handle the minimum resolution of HD 720p. On seeing many of these HDTVs in action, even the most expensive ones I have to confess aren't all that impressive - the HDTV content running was 1080i and on these 720p HDTV ready LCDs it doesn't have that awe-factor as CRT monitors give. :? The high price tag, blurriness in games, poor contrast and viewing angle are the many reasons why after I had to replace my IBM 17in FST CRT monitor, I chose the Samsung SyncMaster 19in 997MB Pure Flat CRT.

The CRT technology, albeit very dated now, is tried and tested in games and works a treat. Also the price tag shouldn't be that high - my 19in pure flat Samsung I managed to get for £135 inc. postage n VAT!! 8)

However, start hunting around ASAP if you are going for CRT monitors as these fat bastards are being shunted off the shelves for the sleek sexy LCDs with an eyesaw of a price tag and image quality to boot :cry: And since your looking for 21in - you have even more of a task on your hands!!

Good luck, hope this helped

EvilEgg

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
Well after talking to other people about it i narrowed it down to 3 choices.

LCD - Dell 24" UltraShar 2407WFP Widescreen LINK
LCD - Acer AL2423W 24" Widescreen LINK
CRT - ViewSonic G225fB PerfectFlat LINK

I think i will see if i can one of the LCD's where i can return the monitor if it isn't working out for me.

S

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I'd check out the AccurateIT site. They have a Sony 21" GDM class CRT monitor for sale that certainly is worth checking out.