Replaceing Acer Crt............Samsung 17" 740N LCD Mon

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
i recently got a new system but i dident have a spare monitor to run it!
so i got a cheap *new* 17"crt acer monitor which has a terrible picture and i was wondering if lcd`s can out preform crts in term of

1. actual "noticeable" response time
2. better quality picture (for ex. text,viewing pictures and movies)

And lastly Gaming!

Will i be able to actuley notice the so called "Ghosting" and "Blockey" text from day to day use?

Thanks

ps. i will have enough money for a lcd about 6 months after i get my 7800gt

ocularis

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
CRTs are still good, but there are poor quality CRTs just like there are poor quality LCDs. Response time is better with CRTs, you will not see any ghosting. The picture is generally smoother with CRTs, and the blockiness is there with LCDs but you get over it.

LCDs excel in other ways:
-form factor is obvious, they dont eat up your whole desk and they are light.
-brightness is usually better
-geometry is a non-issue (CRTs have pincushion, trapezoid, rotation adjustments that drive you insane)
-with faster response times, I think ghosting is becoming a thing of the past for LCDs

Another thing, you won't see any 'dead pixels' on a CRT. That is an unfortunate side-effect of LCD manufacturing.

My advice is to try them out in a local computer store or borrow a friend's before you buy your own. Most people I think will be happy with LCDs over CRTs for the aforementioned benefits.

Finny

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
CRTs are still good, but there are poor quality CRTs just like there are poor quality LCDs. Response time is better with CRTs, you will not see any ghosting. The picture is generally smoother with CRTs, and the blockiness is there with LCDs but you get over it.

LCDs excel in other ways:
-form factor is obvious, they dont eat up your whole desk and they are light.
-brightness is usually better
-geometry is a non-issue (CRTs have pincushion, trapezoid, rotation adjustments that drive you insane)
-with faster response times, I think ghosting is becoming a thing of the past for LCDs

Another thing, you won't see any 'dead pixels' on a CRT. That is an unfortunate side-effect of LCD manufacturing.

My advice is to try them out in a local computer store or borrow a friend's before you buy your own. Most people I think will be happy with LCDs over CRTs for the aforementioned benefits.

So if i got a 17" lcd with 8ms response and connected it via DVI and i ran it at high refresh would i notice bluring that much ?

ocularis

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
LCD owners want to pitch in here???

The fastest one I have used is a new Dell Ultrasharp 19" and it is only 20ms. But I use that at work, so no gaming really. My gaming monitor is still a 19" CRT, and LCDs were twice the price they are now when I bought this CRT.

Check some of the customer feedback on sites like Newegg and Amazon to find a good one. Most gamers seem to be happy with the 8ms LCD panels, but I can't comment from personal experience with them.