didn't know where else to post this

asmith80

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2005
Didn't know where else to post this as I'm not entirely sure what kind of problem I have. When I turn on my computer and monitor I see the usual stuff come up on screen...memory test, Windows XP startup screen...but when the computer goes to boot WinXP and load up the desktop, my monitor goes into power save mode and no amount of mouse wiggling, and restatarting the computer and monitor will fix it.

I've tried the monitor on another computer and it works fine, I've also tried another monitor on this computer (both LCD and CRT) and again when it goes to load up the desktop the monitors go into power save mode.

The only thing that seems to work is starting windows in safe mode. For some reason it will start fine while in safe mode.

Please help! This is incredibly frustrating!

RichPLS

Champion
Sounds like it could be a driver issue.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Chuck_Hsiao

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2005
It's possible that Windows XP is set to run at a higher resolution than what your monitor supports -- for example, if you have a 15-inch monitor which only supports up to 1024 x 768, but the video card is set to 1280 x 1024.

I don't know Windows XP well enough to know how to change the video settings for regular boot up while in safe mode. However, another way to fix the problem is to take a monitor that's capable of a higher resolution (i.e. 17-inch or higher), plug it in, see if it works, then if it does, make the resolution lower and then put in your original monitor.

Chuck Hsiao
Amptron

Lonewolf19

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2005
Few things to check:

1. Go to display settings and make sure your drivers are correct (i.e, matches the brand/model of your monitor and video card). If you are not certain, have windows select default drivers. Reboot and see if it works.

2. As mentioned before, may be setting resolution too high. Under display settings, select the 800x600 just to rule out this possibility.

3. VERY IMPORTANT, make sure your monitor/adapter refresh rate is set on default. Incorrect refresh rate settings may actually physically and permanently harm your monitor.

PortVale

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a very similar problem. I’ve just replaced my CRT monitor with a ViewSonic VE710s LCD monitor. On booting up, I can see the BIOS screen, that then goes away as normal, but I don’t see the Windows XP splash screen or the log on window. I am sure the PC has booted as I can see the hard drive activity light working. I refitted my old monitor, and still have the same problem. As I can see the BIOS screens I assume that monitors are not faulty. I have also changed graphics card, but that made no difference. I have also tried getting into Safe Mode. I could select the option, but the screen won’t display the text. I have tried both monitors on another PC, and they both worked OK.

Chuck_Hsiao

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2005
Try this:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1643&page=7

"Reboot the computer, pressing F8 to access the windows advanced options menu. Choose 'enable VGA mode' from the menu.

VGA mode starts Windows normally with a single exception. Your video refresh rate and resolution are both reset to 640x480 and 60Hz respectively. This should display correctly on any VGA monitor, allowing you to change the display settings to something more compatible with your hardware."

Good luck.

Chuck Hsiao
Amptron