19" Hyundai L90D+ reveiws?

z3phyr

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
Does anyone have a good source of information/reviews for this monitor. I've searched all over google and found tid-bit articles but nothing as comprehensive as the monitor reviews found here at toms.

I'm a complete multimedia/gamer whore so as u'd guess finding the top notch TFT is a must! But hell I'd be damed for buying a new TFT before doing one's homework.

If anyone has been brave enough to purchase one already whats it like?

Thks!
z3ph.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
This site (first found by solidusuk) is the best I've seen
<A HREF="http://www.behardware.com/articles/534/page4.html" target="_new">http://www.behardware.com/articles/534/page4.html</A>
there is also another less informative at:
<A HREF="http://www.d-silence.com/story.php?headline_id=19970&comment=1" target="_new">http://www.d-silence.com/story.php?headline_id=19970&comment=1</A>

Have fun reading! :)

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there.... <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by palmerg on 01/31/05 10:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
I bought one from newegg after reading the reviews I referenced and talking to hyundai ImageQuest technicians. Still bought it sight unseen which is a gamble but thye specs looked good and Hyundai gave me a good vibe. Not technical I know but its the truth. Also knowing that the panel was from Samsung - a leader in advances in a-siTFT and future OLED tech I figured it was money well spent.
Oh yeah, the money. Seemed to me to be the most feature filled 19" for the money and I have been looking for some time. The 8ms RT was good news even though it was r/f and not grey to grey.
OK my impressions:
Asthetics:
+ good looking - nice design
+ well made - fit and finish is very good
+ Bezel is very thin - as thin as what viewsonic calls Ultra thin

Ergonomics:
+ adjustable height is great - about 6" of vert motion
- No Swivel - would be nice
+ Pivot works well - smooth motion
+/- wiring may need to be asjusted when pivoting
+/- controls are small and labels are smaller - this could have been better
+ Menues are simple and easy to navigate

Normal Operation:
+ Very Bright - default settings work fine for me
+ Excellent contrast - blacks are best I've experienced in a 19"
+ Pivot mode is great for working with documents or web surfing : My video adapter is NVIDIA GeforceFX 6800 Ultra - NVidea Rotation funtion works great
- There is a slight off center brightness gradient (mentioned in newegg reviews)that you have to look hard to find. It didn't hinder my use and enjoyment

Gaming:
+ Gaming/adapter artifacts - AA - dithering- Kern - Pixel Shadowing all render excelletly on this panel
+ Played Doom3, HL2, UT2000, QuakeIII Arena,Everquest, W0W all with no ghosting I could see

I'm still playng with it but so far I'm glad I made the purchase.

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there....

z3phyr

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
Thats great, thanks for the links and first hand experience! I'm glad the gaming is working a treat, thats def one of my main areas. I have read the sites you suggested and have come across some term realting to watching movies "Twinkling effect", resulting in having to sit a distance back from the screen. Could you expalin to what level of degree this happens on the L90D+? It is a little concerning considering I do watch alot of dvds via my PC and is something I've never had to suffer with on a CRT.

Thanks!
z3ph.

Hitman84

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
I noticed also the L90 has a noticably LOWER view angle. does it affect anything much?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hitman84 on 01/30/05 09:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
First the twinkling. I never watched any movies up until now so I just popped in ROTK and went to the battle of the pellenor fight scene. I honestly didn't see any groups of pixels in random motion like the behardware article mentioned. I moved in close and then moved away as the article mentioned and stil saw nothing.
However, I bet they submitted it to a more specific test regimen (I think). The picture was very good and the motion and action was rendered with no ill effects in letterbox which is the way I like to watch my movies.

As to the view angle and pitch it hasn't presented me with any concern at any time.

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there.... <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by palmerg on 01/30/05 08:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

z3phyr

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
Cool, sounds like DVDs don't get effected, possible it is encoded files such as DIVx where its more noticeable? Other than that I wouldn't know what tests to suggest getting the "sparkling" effect.

One other thing (sorry to keep going on and on) but I've been talking to someone and they mentioned the possibility of sitting too close to a large TFT that could effect viewing i.e. nice and sharp/bright in the centre, losing contrast as you move towards the edges. Is there a minimum viewing distance with a 19" TFT as not to effect the overall viewable screen in terms of full viewing screen sharpness/brightness?

Thanks,
z3ph.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
I haven't experimented with that to any degree. I do my viewing at around 18" from the panel. SO all my comments are based on that give or take a couple of inches I guess.

FYI:
Just wanted to relay info that I sent to others in a private post:
Did some testing in portrait mode this morning and:
> single person use is fine with a slight but noticable graduation in brightness from left to right.
> There is a degradation in viewing as you move your view from side to side. It is most sever and occurs at lower viewing angles moving to the left of center (which would be the bottom of the screen in normal or landscape view)
> therefore sharing the view in the portrait mode with other is impacted and may not be so good.
> I have been using this mode all morning to work on word docs, pdfs, emails and web surfing, all have work great with just me viewing the screen.

One other piece of info that I just played with:
Gaming in this mode isn't recommended.
Tried Doom3 Demo - that game is very dark in the first place but in this mode it is almost a void, if you know what I mean. That plus the game will not auto adjust to the new format for it resides in the upper half of the screen. Coupled with the brightness gradient I mentioned above it isn't recommended. (I don't know who would want to play in this mode anyway)

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there....

Hitman84

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
interesting piece of information here
For the heck of it I emailed imagequest support and asked what the response time of the L90d+ was and I got a response of

"19 miliseconds

Andy Chia/RMA
Hyundai Monitor Service Division
777 Mark St.
Wood Dale IL 60191
Phone 800-568-0060 or 630-595-0123
Fax: 800-784-9422 or 630-595-2345
email/ service@hyundaimonitor.com

www.hyundaimonitor.com"

This basically making me decide to go with the viewsonic I mentioned in a previous post.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Interseting since I got a different response for the ImageQuest techs Here's the thread:
Maybe you should contact Viewsonic as well?

Susan Yuen wrote:

>>Hi Gary,
>>Our L90D+ model does have a 8ms response time, you made a good buy!
>>Enjoy your monitor.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>------------------------------------------
>>Susan Yuen
>>Operations
>>Hyundai ImageQuest America
>>PH 408-232-8650/ Fax: 408-232-8146
>>-------------------------------------------

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there.... <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by palmerg on 01/31/05 12:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Also its important to have whomever specify what RT they are quoting.
Read the behardware review again and you wil see what I mean. rise and fall RT is quite different and less telling (for gamers) than Grey to Grey RTs.

I'm not pushing the Hyundai I'm sure you will have a great gaming experience whatever you decide.

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there.... <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by palmerg on 01/31/05 12:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Hitman84

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
"Maybe you should contact Viewsonic as well?"

well what stopped me from doing that is the fact that newegg and the viewsonic site both have the response time in their specs sheet and the imagequest didnt, it's simply stated in the item name.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Jyust sent this to Hyundai. Hopefully they wil consider it important enough to provide some detail:

Hi,
I am a member of Tom's hardware forum which has recently been discussing the Pro's and Con's of the L90D+.
Recent posts have uncovered a problem with Hyundau reporting different figures for pixel response
- Susan reported 8ms to me
- Andy Chia reported 19ms to another person on the forum

Which is it? Please give any detail that will help iron this dilemma out.

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there....

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
SOunds like your mind is made up. I would go with it. You proabably won't be disappointed and you can get on with gaming that much sooner. Besides it seems like Hyundai needs to get their act together. If I find that its been using faulty advertising I stil have the Hyundai box and I may just send it back and buy that Viewsonic right behind you.

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there....

Hitman84

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
honestly it isn't.
That 19" is really appealing so I guess I'll wait to see what they say to you. My new pc wont be ready for about a week anyway so I can always end up changing my mind again knowing me.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Here is what I just got from Susan Yuen at Hyundai Image Quest. I have sent a message to the email she suggested and haven't recieved a reply yet. It specifically askes for the details about pixel response we will need to make a real assessment.

Dear Gary,

Our L90D+ model has 8ms response time.
For any future product questions, please contact me directly
or our QA dept in Korea (minkb@hyundaiq.com).

(Andy @ AVC Tech, please be informed that L90D+ model has 8ms response time.
This is different from L90D model which we have been carrying.
L90D+ just came out in US recently so please be informed of this
information.)

Thank you,

Susan Yuen
Operations
Hyundai ImageQuest America
PH 408-232-8650/ Fax: 408-232-8146

I am a member of Tom's hardware forum which has recently been discussion
the Pro's and Con's of the L90D+.
Recent posts have uncovered a problem with Hyundau reporting different
figures for pixel response
- Susan reported 8ms to me
- Andy Chia reported 19ms to another person on the forum

Which is it? Please give any detail that will help iron this dilemma out.

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there.... <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by palmerg on 01/31/05 01:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
For any future reference here is the list of people at Hyundaiq and HyundaiMonitor that Susan Yuen alerted about the 8ms response time for the L90D+:
'jk lee' <jklee@hyundaiqa.com>,
'Mike Kim' <mkim@hyundaiqa.com>,
'James Park' <jpark@hyundaiqa.com>,
'Carolyn Johnson' <cjohnson@hyundaiqa.com>,
SS Choi <sschoi@hyundaiq.com>,
Bryan Seo <bryanseo@hyundaiq.com>,
Kevin Lee <kevinlee@hyundaiq.com>,
PRIO <prio123@hyundaiq.com>,
minkb@hyundaiq.com,
Ho Bong Kim <hbkim@hyundaiq.com>,
James Lee <geunil@hyundaiq.com>,
Peter AVC <peterlee@hyundaimonitor.com>, tomkim@hyundaimonitor.com,
Jim Parker <jimparker@hyundaimonitor.com>

Looks like there may be a lot of folks to contact if we need to.

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there....

Hitman84

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
I suddenly got the urge to send an email to all of them with the same question. Wondering just how many responses I would get. rofl

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there.... <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by palmerg on 01/31/05 01:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Hitman84

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
I also notice that newegg has just raised the shipping to $12 for the imagequest. must have been a week promotion or something.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hitman84 on 01/31/05 01:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
yeah? That kind of stinks and is a factor to consider. I got in just under the wire it seems.

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there....

Hitman84

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2005
I DOUBT it will affect my decision but...
I mean for a 19" its only 2 more then shipping the 17" viewsonic. For me deciding on equip by shipping price is....foolish? I have odd oppinions on things but *shrug* as of right now Im probably going to get the imagequest. I doubt Ill use it in portrait mode so Im not worried about those issues

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hitman84 on 01/31/05 02:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
One difference after the addition of a shipping charge is that when I bought it stated that "this can only be returned for another L90D+" or somthing like that. It no longer says that.

Also I just got this reply from Andy Chia: Kind of weird and still raises questions because I remember reading that the L90D had 25ms response times. Still seems like some confusion here.

Hyundai Monitor wrote:

>Dear friend,
>

> I apologize for the confusion 8MS is correct. 18ms is for older model
>units.
>
>Andy Chia/RMA
>Hyundai Monitor Service Division
>777 Mark St.
>Wood Dale IL 60191
>Phone 800-568-0060 or 630-595-0123
>Fax: 800-784-9422 or 630-595-2345

Still waiting to hear details from the other Hyundai guy/gal

If you don't know where your going any road will take you there.... <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by palmerg on 01/31/05 02:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS