HD RAID EDITION¿

mayouuu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hi, i want 2 hard drives to put them under RAID 0 configuration, Seagate has RAID EDITION drives, can anyone explainme what are the diferences with the other ones?, I have to decide between Seagate 250GB 8MB RAID EDITION ( a bit cheaper ) or Seagate 320GB 16MB (NO RAID EDITION and a bit more expensive). Wich will you choose? IS RAID EDITION ANYTHING I SHOULD TAKE CARE ABOUT? THX

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
RAID edition HDDs aren't that much different from standard HDDs, hell you can use non-RAID hdds for RAID. The main difference is... well I'm actually not sure. My guess is that they're designed for slightly higher data integrity.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I´d say its a marketing thing. They could mean it´s the Raid 5 edition and since the failure of a single drive is not fatal it´s got a lower MTTF... :twisted:

Seagate has a three year warranty if i´m not mistaken so you should be fine with any combination you choose, since in a few years you´ll probably replace them anyway (either for speed or space).

On the other hand "Raid Edition" makes it look a lot cooler in the signature...

Jim0615

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
There is a firmware difference, just some optimizations to the NCQ logic most likely.

What are the mfg part numbers on the drives your looking at. I haven't actually seen a Raid Edition Seagate just the enterprise Barracudas.

Im fairly certain Seagate drives all have 5year warranties now.