Best 19"-21" monitor

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The IBM C220P and the NEC/Mitsubishi FP2141SB are almost the exact same. Same size, viewable area, dotpitch, max res, weight, refresh rates, warranty, price, etc. The only major difference between the 2 is that the IBM's dual inputs consist of a DVI and VGA connection. The NEC/Mitsubishi screens dual inputs consist of two VGA connections.
If you need to use a DVI connection for some reason then you would obviously need to get the C220P. If you don't I would get the FP2141SB. Why? Well... I'm sort of bias towards it because I have one :) I have not seen that peticular IBM screen in action so I don't know how it looks comparatively but the specs of the two are so similar I think it is safe to say they would look about the same. And that look is damned beautiful :)
I don't see much point in using a DVI connection on a CRT as far as I know. DVI is a digital connection and CRTs are analog (not 100% sure on that but that is what my brain is sayin right now) so it would have to be converted from digital to analog at the monitor. A regular VGA connection is already analog so it wouldn't need any sort of conversion. Then again, the VGA is being changed from digital to analog on the video card so it would be the same thing. I guess there wouldn't be much use at all for using a DVI connection on a CRT monitor. But that is just based on my basic understanding of the workings of monitors, I could be completely off :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I like Samsung monitors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>