I think my monitor is dying

Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I hope someone can help me with this problem. Today I started noticing something weird with my monitor. I was playing Madden 2005 when the screen-starting going out like the power was going out. This is weird because I am hooked up to a UPS. I thought maybe it was PSU not getting enough juice to the video card during gaming, but it happens occasionally just surfing the net. I am a little confused as to what the problem could be so can someone give me some ideas to track down my problem. Before I forget, I have a View Sonic A90f+ 19” monitor with a ATI 9800 Pro, and 400 watt PSU that came with my case.

<font color=orange>OW</font color=orange> <font color=orange>OR</font color=orange> <font color=green>GW</font color=green> <font color=blue>BL</font color=blue> <font color=blue>BW</font color=blue> <font color=green>GR</font color=green> [brown]BW[/brown] wait... There is no brown markup!! :frown:

Reck2

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2004
You mean like the picture going out? The quality of the viewsonic A90F+ is absolute **** so yea it's probably dead already. That's why they only give a one year warranty with it. I suppose if you are still within the one year warranty you could try to rma it.

Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
That is exactly what is happening. I don't know if it is the monitor of interference for the next room. I will just have to keep watching it and see what happens.

<font color=orange>OW</font color=orange> <font color=orange>OR</font color=orange> <font color=green>GW</font color=green> <font color=blue>BL</font color=blue> <font color=blue>BW</font color=blue> <font color=green>GR</font color=green> [brown]BW[/brown] wait... There is no brown markup!! :frown:

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I've seen so many viewsonic monitors do that exact thing I couldn't even begin to count them. It is completely random and it will eventually cause the screen to stay perminatly distorted and/or die completely. The first time I ever saw smoke come out of a monitor was a viewsonic :)
I had always thought viewsonic made good monitors but after seeing so many die I'm never going to buy one. If that thing is under warranty get it replaced, if not you are definatly going to want to buy a different monitor. I higly recommend Mitsubishi or Hitachi.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Thanks for the info. It has not done it for couple of days, so I will just keep watching it. I won't have the money for a new monitor until next month, hopefully it will last until then. I have had the monitor for a little over two years so the warranty is long gone. I will keep my eye open for a new one.

Hamlet

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I had a similar problem with my Sony Trinitron. After 3 years the screen started blinking and going out. I couldn't switch resoltions at all, any resolution switch would kill the monitor. I switch resolutions alot because of my games. I ended up buying a new NEC.

It's a bummer.