Monitor with minor blemishes.

I've been poking around the net to see if anyone had any ideas on how i could fix some rather deep, but small gouges on the glass of mt CRT monitor.

so far this is the best i've found:

was wondering if anyone else here had any ideas as my problem isnt "small" scratches

I got this thing for a steal at $200, 21" monitor with badass refresh rate. its amazing quality. I bought it knowing that the site said it had "minor blemishes or scratches" though i dont think this is minor, i cant really say much about it since i knew that this might happen.

its got these damned gouges in the screen, i think they may just be gouges in the coatings that are on the glass. I'm not looking to make it perfect, thats probobly impossible. I'm hoping jsut to soften the blemishes so they arent so... apparent.

here are some images of the gouges:
<A HREF="" target="_new">Pic #1</A>
<A HREF="" target="_new">Pic #2</A>
<A HREF="" target="_new">Pic #3</A>
<A HREF="" target="_new">Pic #4</A>
<A HREF="" target="_new">Pic #5</A>
<A HREF="" target="_new">Pic #6</A>

I've considered the toothpaste option, makes sense, as Flouric acid is the only thing that can etch glass - so therefore flouride in toothpaste might do some good. (i've seen others suggest it.)

PS: I have an old broken monitor that i can scratch and dent to try anything out on.
2 answers Last reply
More about monitor minor blemishes
  1. You can't repair the anti-glare coating if that's what's damaged (not AFAIK) but you can remove the coating and repair fine scratches on the actual glass. This would leave you with naked, smooth glass but perhaps that's better than what you are seeing.

    To do the job 3M manufactures special buffing disks for both jobs, removing coatings and repairing scratches (see link).

    Don't know where you can obtain the disks though.

    <A HREF="" target="_new"></A>

    I take no responsibility for your results should you try the disks. I have no experience with them nor have ever seen them in use and I don't work for 3M.

    <b>A mind is a terrible thing</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 10/20/04 00:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  2. You'll have to remove the entire anti-static coating. Then, if you have a deep gouge, you might be able to repair it with a windshield repair kit, I'm not really sure though, I'd read the directions on the windshield repair kit before buying it.

    Basically you can fill any deep knicks with clear epoxy and buff it out level.

    <font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

CRT Monitors Monitors Peripherals