GTX 670 ASUS vs GTX 680 ASUS Woth the extra £100?

exomonkeyman

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hello There.

I have the GTX 670 ASUS Over Clocked to gain about a ruff 4-5 fps.
And i know the GTX 680 is faster card overall, By 5 fps.

But what makes that card an extra £100-150.

I do Editing/FX/Photography/Gaming/Commentating/Game recording.
Would i benefit more from a GTX 680 than a GTX 670?

What dose the GTX 680 have that the GTX 670 doesn't?
Any thing the GTX 680 would have to help me out?
What's different internally that makes that massive price?

P.S
Exomonkeyman

exomonkeyman

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
"EDIT"

Another quick question.

Would the GTX 670 start running much faster once better drivers come out for the 670? Cause the card is WAY TO SLOW for a £314 card!

Mafia to has fps drops when in crowded places. My AMD 6870 had almost better performance.

It says to run Far Cry 3 i need a GTX 680. But the GTX 670 is like 5fps slower... So surely the GTX 670 is up to spec for that game.

exomonkeyman

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

That seems like a massive rip off for GTX 680.

Sounds like its your CPU bottlenecking you in crowded places hints the reason why your FPS is the same as it was with the 6870 at those times. What are your system specs?

Crowded areas = heavy CPU load, it is CPU bottleneck, but not much you can do about it till better CPU's come out. Just because you have a good CPU dose not mean it can't limit your computer in some situations.

Monitor your CPU and GPU loads. If your CPU is at 80%+ and your GPU drops below 99% load during those times, it is your CPU holding you back.

exomonkeyman

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Just that mafia II was released in 2010 Kinda an old game. And assassins creed 3 dose not lag me. Mafia II needs better drivers. Or the game is slighty bad, Cause them people shouldn't bottle neck me. It's like 15 people on screen. Assassins creed 3 has 20+ and yet i have no lag.

If it's bottle neck, The game must need an update. I am playing the DEMO version of Mafia II. So that may be a little outta date.

xFriarx

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
The 680 would not be worth upgrading to from a 670. It only offers about 5-10% more performance in gaming (which can be negated by oc'ing the 670) and being that its based off the same architecture I can't see it having much higher performance during editing/encoding.

As far as the $100 price difference, that is probably a factor of things, but two come to my mind specifically. One being they have to match the market's/AMD's price points, with specifically the 670 being priced cheaper, and two, people will always pay more to get the best, even if it doesn't make sense, specifically the 680. They could price it $50 cheaper, to bring it in a more price/performance spot, but why, when its probably not going to cost you a lot of sales and those lost sales are made up for by the higher price point. You could probably factor chip yields in there as well.

As far as the Mafia II issue, I would say that is a demo issue. Demos are usually made on a different development fork and based on early code and are often not patched, supported or as optimized as the main game. The demo may be better optimized for AMD cards as well, I wouldn't think so, since it is a TWIMTBP title. But I have see that happen before. You should really not be seeing any bottlenecks with your system. Far Cry 3 may push it depending on what resolution you play at, but you should still be able to max out most of the graphics settings.