Best_Colour_Laser_Printer_for_£400??

Anybody recommend a decent printer upto 400 GBP.

Priorities are cheap running costs. PPM not so important. Needs to
have a reasonable dpi (1200 or so?)

Recommendations Appreciated
9 answers Last reply
More about colour laser printer 400

    On 23 Jul 2004 07:17:40 -0700, j_le_bru@excite.com (JC) wrote:

    >Anybody recommend a decent printer upto 400 GBP.
    >
    >Priorities are cheap running costs. PPM not so important. Needs to
    >have a reasonable dpi (1200 or so?)
    >
    >Recommendations Appreciated

    The Oki and the Samsung are about £450, the HP is about £550.
    However, if priorities are cheap running costs you need a more
    expensive printer <g> One of the Kyocera range. They are far cheaper
    to run than any of the others and give good consistent results. Only
    problem is that you have to pay about 3 times the amount you say.
    Also, for the price, you're unlikely to get anything much above
    600dpi, I think.

    --

    Hecate
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    In message <gbc3g0hvb97id4dr6es18nund07vfg6k4m@4ax.com>, Hecate
    <hecate@newsguy.com> writes
    >On 23 Jul 2004 07:17:40 -0700, j_le_bru@excite.com (JC) wrote:
    >
    >>Anybody recommend a decent printer upto 400 GBP.
    >>
    >>Priorities are cheap running costs. PPM not so important. Needs to
    >>have a reasonable dpi (1200 or so?)
    >>
    >>Recommendations Appreciated
    >
    >The Oki and the Samsung are about £450, the HP is about £550.
    >However, if priorities are cheap running costs you need a more
    >expensive printer <g> One of the Kyocera range. They are far cheaper
    >to run than any of the others and give good consistent results. Only
    >problem is that you have to pay about 3 times the amount you say.
    >Also, for the price, you're unlikely to get anything much above
    >600dpi, I think.

    As above you need to consider not only the purchase price but the
    running costs and generally you will get lower running costs with a
    higher initial price. The Kyoceras do seem to have about the cheapest
    running costs. I'm also quite partial to my Xerox solid ink jobby which
    apart from dropping lumps of ink into it the only other replacement part
    is every 40,000 pages, whereas the lower cost conventional colour lasers
    are rather more often changing oil rollers, opc drum kits, waste toners

    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom

    Timothy Lee wrote:

    > In message <gbc3g0hvb97id4dr6es18nund07vfg6k4m@4ax.com>, Hecate
    > <hecate@newsguy.com> writes
    >
    >> On 23 Jul 2004 07:17:40 -0700, j_le_bru@excite.com (JC) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anybody recommend a decent printer upto 400 GBP.
    >>>
    >>> Priorities are cheap running costs. PPM not so important. Needs to
    >>> have a reasonable dpi (1200 or so?)
    >>>
    >>> Recommendations Appreciated
    >>

    >> The Oki and the Samsung are about £450, the HP is about £550.
    >> However, if priorities are cheap running costs you need a more
    >> expensive printer <g> One of the Kyocera range. They are far cheaper
    >> to run than any of the others and give good consistent results. Only
    >> problem is that you have to pay about 3 times the amount you say.
    >> Also, for the price, you're unlikely to get anything much above
    >> 600dpi, I think.
    >

    > As above you need to consider not only the purchase price but the
    > running costs and generally you will get lower running costs with a
    > higher initial price. The Kyoceras do seem to have about the cheapest
    > running costs. I'm also quite partial to my Xerox solid ink jobby which
    > apart from dropping lumps of ink into it the only other replacement part
    > is every 40,000 pages, whereas the lower cost conventional colour lasers
    > are rather more often changing oil rollers, opc drum kits, waste toners ...

    I will second that ... but also add that it burns the cyan ink (unless
    the newer models had the feature removed).

    --

    Please remove _removeme_ to reply.
    Work: http://www.somis.dundee.ac.uk/

    how do you like the photo quality?

    should i get it if i'm going to be printing ever so oftenn? i heard
    that unless you use the phaser 8400 all the time, it wastes ink when
    you start it up..

    In message <410246af$0$7121$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>, Charles
    Christacopoulos <c.k.christacopoulos_removeme_@dundee.ac.uk> writes
    >Timothy Lee wrote:
    >> As above you need to consider not only the purchase price but the
    >>running costs and generally you will get lower running costs with a
    >>higher initial price. The Kyoceras do seem to have about the cheapest
    >>running costs. I'm also quite partial to my Xerox solid ink jobby
    >>which apart from dropping lumps of ink into it the only other
    >>replacement part is every 40,000 pages, whereas the lower cost
    >>conventional colour lasers are rather more often changing oil
    >>rollers, opc drum kits, waste toners ...
    >I will second that ... but also add that it burns the cyan ink (unless
    >the newer models had the feature removed).

    I haven't had that with my 8200 but then it is used regularly for a
    couple of thousand pages a month.

    --

    In message <ccbb49cdf316c28cdc190daf302f5129@unlimited.ultrafeed.com>,
    noob <noobie@nowhere.com> writes
    >how do you like the photo quality?
    >
    >should i get it if i'm going to be printing ever so oftenn? i heard
    >that unless you use the phaser 8400 all the time, it wastes ink when
    >you start it up..

    I much prefer the output from my 8200 then the previous QMS Magicolor 2.
    It gives a nice glossy output, it needs to be left on all the time as it
    uses some black charging itself up or something when turned on. Also, it
    is difficult to laminate the output - if you have the laminator set to a
    too high temperature it will remelt the ink and it runs.

    --

    In message <t+sqd9BA5LBBFwhg@townvillage.eclipse.co.uk>, Timothy Lee
    <me@privacy.net> writes

    >I much prefer the output from my 8200 then the previous QMS Magicolor
    then=than mea culpa

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom

    Hmm... I will have to try to go see it myself. I'm leainng toward the
    Lexmark C510 now, as th eSamsung CLP-550 has gotten across the board
    bad reviews on photo quality. I heard the 8400 photo quality isn't
    that great, but it might be better than the QMS Magicolor 2. Huum.
    It's hard since I don't have them in front of me, and I'm relying on
    the reviews at cnet.com.

    In message <6af59f3f2908cbfc0491a1d791989c8d@unlimited.ultrafeed.com>,
    noob <noobie@nowhere.com> writes
    >Hmm... I will have to try to go see it myself. I'm leainng toward the
    >Lexmark C510 now, as th eSamsung CLP-550 has gotten across the board
    >bad reviews on photo quality. I heard the 8400 photo quality isn't
    >that great, but it might be better than the QMS Magicolor 2. Huum.
    >It's hard since I don't have them in front of me, and I'm relying on
    >the reviews at cnet.com.

    If you contact someone like printware.co.uk or lnl.co.uk they can
    provide you with samples.

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom