£250 budget 6970 vs 7870

chromex

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-162-MS&tool=3 MSI HD 6970 Lightning 2048MB GDDR5

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-162-MS&tool=3 MSI HD 7870 Hawk 2048MB GDDR5

I currently have budget rig :D

FX 4100 @ 4.0ghz
8gb 1600 Vengance ram
OcUK Rage GT 700W PSU
Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P
1 TB HDD
OcUK Rage GT 700W PSU
Sapphire 2GB 6670 DDR3.
and my monitor is Logik 22' TV so i use a HDMI @ 1920/1080p

I have a 250£ Budget, My PC was just built for office use on a budget . But im looking too upgrade my system bit by bit, as im starting too enjoy gaming again.

The Main Game i play is World Of Warcraft, But im Looking too buy BF3, AC3, Hitman Absolution and the new Black OPS .
And i wish too play these all on High/Ultra with solid fps
So 6670 is the sorethumb is my system at the moment i guess :D, I know the Processor isnt great but its good on a budget. Ill probably go for the new piledriver chip when i got some dollar left over from wages.

So im on the hunt for a new gpu, so if anyone could recommend one out of the two i linked, or better within my budget for what i plan too play, would be greatly appreciated.

I dont mind either Nvidia or AMD

thank you if you can assist me :)

That review is way out of date. The 7870 is currently about on-par with the GTX 580 overall (maybe somewhat ahead, especially considering some of the recent, significant driver improvements) and has quite the advantage over the 6970 in gaming performance, especially with heavier levels of MSAA and some other settings. Many games including BF3 and BatMan:AC have huge improvements in Catalyst 12.11 beta 8 (newest version AFAIK) compared to Catalyst 12.3 which was used in that old review.

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

yeah i know that is an old review,
and current condition too
that the 660 is almost as good as 580 and 7870 is better than the both and least expensive.
my point was 7870 is better than 6970, which the review was efficient in doing.
by the way do u know a website that does new reviews when the drivers come out??
could u suggest me one website??

I don't know of any web site that has reviews of the beta 8 version, but I could probably find some with at least beta 4. It still wouldn't be up to date, but it'd be a lot closer. It's hard to keep up with AMD at this point because they've released like nine or ten drivers in the last month or two and several of them were significant improvements :/ AMD is really pushing Nvidia pretty hard and not even Nvidia's recent release was enough to catch AMD.

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

it would be nice to see some improvements on the cpu side of AMD too :na:

Piledriver was a decent improvement over Husky and Bulldozer, so it's getting somewhere... If Steamroller makes it out, it'll probably be an even greater improvement, but there seems to be doubt about it getting released in 2013 like it was supposed to and may have been pushed back to 2014 :( If that is true, then AMD might truly be done in the higher end CPU market, at least in performance per core, granted they at least have the reprieve of that becoming less important than multi-threaded performance and AMD most definitely is still doing decently there.