Asus 6950 goes INSTANTLY to 100 °C when starting any 3D Game

esewese

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
HI!

First... Sorry for my bad English (I'm from finlan ;) )

I built a new computer couple of weeks ago. I haven't had any problems with it until today. I played WoW when Smart Doctor (Program from Asus.com to control speed of the GPU's fans Etc.) prompted me with a message: VGA overheating (it was about 100 °C. I first thought it was problem with WoW, because it was first time I have played it with this computer. I tested some other games that I had played before (crysis 2, mafia 2) but they caused the same problem too. Then i notices something weird on GPU-Z. One of the 3 GPU tempratures is almost 50% lower the others :eek: . Here are some pictures

Without any game running:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8313/8006767019_17e7be8bfd.jpg
8006767019_17e7be8bfd.jpg

Game running:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8435/8006766319_609fe68acc.jpg
8006766319_609fe68acc.jpg

Is it normal that those temperatures have so great differences? Are the temperature readings wrong?
The games that I have played don't crash or anything... (in fact for example WoW runs on max setting with good FPS)
I don't have a clue what is going on... Any help?
Thanks in advance

I should have the latest drivers updated.

Here are my system specs:

> Mainboard : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V

> Processor : Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3500 MHz

> Physical Memory : 16384 MB (2 x 8192 DDR3-SDRAM )

> Video Card : Asus HD 6950 2GB

> Hard Disk (os) : INTEL SSDSC2CT120A3 ATA Device (120GB)

> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device (2000GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : Toshiba-Samsung DVDWBD SH-B123L

> Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

> DirectX : Version 11.00

> Power supply: Corsain 600W

have you considered turning up the fan speed past 53%

can you add a case fan to the side of the case that points toward the gpu?

validate the temp with Asus Smart Doctor

what is Asus SmartDoctor? ASUS Smart Doctor version 5.80
Smart Doctor provides 3 major features:
1. VGA card information and running status for GPU temperature, GPU fan speed(optional) and so on.
2. Overclocking feature.
3. GPU temperature detection.
If your VGA card supports Smart Doctor, after the installation of Smart Doctor (Don't forget to install VGA driver and ASUS GamerOSD), you will have both 3 features.
Please be noted that SmartDoctor can't be applied to ASUS R.O.G series graphics cards. For ASUS R.O.G series graphics cards, please install iTracker instead. Click here for R.O.G graphics cards list.

anneoneamouse

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I had the same problem. I bet that you don't have enough airflow in the video card area of the motherboard. Try adding an extra fan to clear the hot air, especially if your Radeon 6950 recirculates the hot air back into the case.

Hope this helps,

AoN

esewese

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
My case is open right now, so i doubt that airflow would be concern.

When I let Asus smart doctor to control the fans:
Without game:
8006985133_a2eab1b641_b.jpg

With game on:
8007004773_1a6faf0e77_b.jpg

So smart doctor says that its 101°C while the fans are 100%. I uninstalled smart doctor to test MSI Afterburner:
The result is the same... It shows 102°C while game is on. I noticed that the fan jumps from 100% to 50% and back while gaming. would that refer to a power problem?
8007067521_a84190289b_b.jpg

8007067195_644d9c942f_b.jpg

The GPU heats up really fast... To 100*C in about 3-5 seconds

Thanks for your replies!!

I am willing to be you have a heatsink contact issue.

So in the factory either they did not use the right amount of paste(too much or little can cause this)

OR

The heatsink did not make full contact with the card.

Best to contact Asus about this, a card should not get that hot that fast in an open case.

Ohh and the VGA 3 temp may be a board or regulator temp. Those are cooled by air from the fan so even if the heatsink contact sucks, they will still be ok(have lower temps).

You also notice that the card clocks down(500mhz) when it gets that hot too.

@Deemo13, Ahh Antec Sonata case. such bad air flow(too little intake vent). :) and yet I still have 2(Sonata and Sonata 2). Those cases are built like a tank. My Fractal Define R2 is more quiet, but not nearly as strongly built.

esewese

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Just to clear myself...
I have only 1 CPU and those tree temperatures on GPU-Z are from it. (From 3 different locations i guess)

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

I completely agree. Even if the cards are sandwiched, these are crazy temps especially when you say these intantly jack up to 100 as soon as you start a game.

EDIT --> Just saw your post above mine. Even though you clarified it's only 1 GPU, I still believe it's heatsink problem

That's actually a pretty good call.

esewese

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Thanks for your reply!
If this thing isn't solved in this week I will take GPU to verkkokauppa.com (i bought it from there). They will contact ASUS and do all the work for me. They have great customer support. Last time i had problems with my Motherboard they fixed it in a day. I was just thinking if this is something i could fix myself. I'm sick so I don't get to Verkkokauppa right now.

I didn't notice it!

I got the Sonata case because I really like the design, and it is built like a tank. The inside also looks really good if you have it well done. It looks really clean with my H60 watercooler. I've also got a fan controller for the 3 fans I have (I had 2 with my 6950)

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

I would say there is no chance. You tried two different pieces of software and both gave you high readings. Also, I don't think the readings are bad since the idle temps look ok to me

esewese

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
If CPU is over 100 °C should I feel at least some heat when i put my hand right next to it? Now I'm feeling just mid-cold ventilating air.

Kari

Splendid

well if the heatsink isnt making proper contact with the chip there won't be much heat that gets blown away in the first place... If it was working properly the air would be warm.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

No that's the problem. You SHOULD be feeling warm air if the GPU processor was trasmitting the heat from the heatsink to the ambient air properly.

EDIT --> +1 to Kari. Just saw his post.

Fixing it(Swap thermal paste or reposition the heatsink if it was not screwed down right) would void the warranty and not even give a 100% chance of success. At lease verkkokauppa.com will fix you up and retain your warranty.

As other have said above, you should feel some real hot air coming from the card.