Suggestions for a 17" TFT

Jo3y

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2004
Hi,
I want to get a 17" LCD and finally decided on a hercules 920 DVI but then found out that there will be either long delays on the monitor or it may be disontinued.

What other monitors would you suggest, i could get the Hyundai Q17 as it's the same panel as the hercules 920 but from the image I've seen it looks a bit ugly.. Has anyone had any experience with either the Iiyama E431S or the Viewsonic VP171B Pro??

Do all LCDs only display 24-Bit coulours?

Thanks, hope someone can help

Jo3y

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2004
Thanks, the website isn't in english though so I can't read it... Also I can't find the samsung 173T for sale anywhere in the uk, is it new?? all I can find is the 172.

Starhawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
HyDiS panels seem to be difficult to find, though if you can find one, I'd argue that they have the better display characteristics. They seem to be the only panels I can find that display a full 24bit color whereas the other panels dither 18bit to give you the display. Some people can notice the difference, others may not. Your mileage may vary.

If you can't find a HyDiS panel, then I would highly recommend the Viewsonic VP171 series. They are 16ms panels with 18bit color pallete, but from most reports, people seem to be genuinely happy with that monitor's display characteristics. Not to mention the nice bonus features of being able to rotate your screen from portrait to landscape mode as well. If I was stuck with only being able to pick from the 16ms panels, that would be the monitor I would get.

Jo3y

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2004
Thanks for the help, I can find a 20ms Q17 hyundai monitor but it looks pretty ugly in the picture on the website, has anyone got one??