17inch monitor choices

Ion

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
17inch LG 700B flatron/17inch Samsung 765dfx/17inch philips 107EB.

I know they arent the best 17inch around but those are the only ones that i could found near my area that fit into my tiny budget :(

So can someone suggest me which one to buy? Btw one of my friend told me LG's tube has some problem, is that true? If it is true, what exactly is the problem?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I'm something of a "monitor junkie". Having a visual problem that doesn't let me focus on red very well I get real picky about display quality.

There are three things that most affect a person's satisfaction with a display device... focus, convergence and colour balance.

Focus is obvious... nobody wants to look at a blurry image. This is a factory adjustment, often done in a couple of seconds on moving monitors... I've seen huge variations in focus between otherwise identical monitors.

Convergence is a bit less obvious. This is about how well the colours overlap. Monitors form images from only three colours --Red, Green and Blue-- To get a sharp white line on a monitor these three colours must "converge" (land in exactly the same place), otherwise you will see a red, green or blue shadow behind the white line giving the visual appearance of a ghost image. Poor convergence can seriously degrade the quality of a display. Like focus, convergence is also set in a few seconds on the production line and can vary rather a lot between monitors of the same design.

Colour balance is important for the accuracy of displayed colours. This is another factory adjustment and it can vary rather pronouncedly from one monitor to the next. (Fortunately most CRT monitors now include Onscreen colour adjustments)

Put 6 identical monitors side by side and I can almost guarantee you will see 3 different displays. At least one will have poor focus, one will have bad convergence, one will have poor colour balance...

Because of these common variations in adjustment of CRT based monitors I *strongly* suggest that you spend some time in the store examining the display very closely, picking the exact one you want. Look at white text on a black background, which is the hardest thing to get right. Also look at coloured text... purple, cyan and yellow give the best indications of convergence... Don't waste your time on Graphic images, they will not reveal problems as quickly as bright coloured text on black backgrounds.

Don't pick by model (i.e. "give me one of these please"), resolve your choice right down to the serial number (i.e. "I want this one.").

Really... with a bit of patience (and a nice tip to the patient salesmaker) you can land a really good monitor from a bargain priced lineup.

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I've been very happy with my flatscreen 17" Samsung SyncMaster 763MB. It was on offer a while back at BestBuy. I have yet to get the MIR back. It was $200 before rebate, which isn't TOO expensive for my tastes.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
http://www.vprmatrix.com/products_monitor_1796.asp
I bought one of these last week @ Best Buy for $199 with a $100 MIR, and I'm stunned with how beautiful everything looks on it. Hell of a nice monitor. They dont keep it with the other monitors though, its by itself on a shelf nearby. I run 1024X768 @ 100hz. Max is 1600X1200 @ 75hz and it has the 3 different brightness modes that most monitors offer now days.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
One more tidbit.

The 1796 is both a perfect compliment to vpr Matrix's computers and the best CRT monitor sold by Best Buy and BestBuy.com. According to a leading consumer products testing magazine, the criteria for selecting the best monitor include: flat-screen versus curved, higher refresh rates for more flicker-free performance, and superior resolution and dot-pitch. The 1796 outperforms all other choices in these categories. One example: at a Horizontal Frequency of 96 Hz , the 1796 outperforms most other models delivering only 75 Hz. In addition, the F.A. Porsche design provides a cleaner, more distinctive statement on your desk. And a 3-meter signal cable lets you place the 1796 almost anywhere in your office.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
But no one has any comments on the three Ion suggested. I am limited by the same three, and possibly something from Viewsonic. My University uses LG monitors, and I have one at home, and I love them a lot. However, I have also heard spectacular things from Viewsonic. So, I really would like to know which is the best likely choice, given that each monitor is different.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3 Ti500 w/64MB DDR
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

My computer is bigger than your computer....

mike61

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003
teq sorry to jump in but i would realy lie to find a 19"mon. that has convergance control other than sony thank for any imput merv