Crappy monitor....DIE!, umm...it did.

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I bought a Fujitsu Siemens C779 13 months ago...
Today I turned it on and everything seemed normal, but when I opened up the mediaplayer to watch a movie the picture suddenly became garbled...I´ve seen it before on this monitor although not that much and I expected it to go away.
Instead the picture shrunk horisontaly, at that point I switched the monitor off and restarted the computer.

The odd thing is...it works in DOS but as soon as I switch to Windows (1024x768@85hz) the monitor switches off, the power light flashes (as in powerfailure) and it sounds like it "screams" in pain.

Any ideas what might have happened?, I am clueless.
And the bad part is that the warranty only covers one year, sucks that I have had it for 13 months...
I´m not sure, but I think it´s 2 more years that should cover for manufacturing faults, no?

*help*

<font color=red>I don´t need a sig</font color=red>

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Oh well, I just went to the shop and told them about the problem and all.
Now I only have to wait 2 weeks before they can tell me whats wrong...yes it sucks.

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
A thought...can it be my graphics card that is messed up?
Like it is supplying the wrong Hz info?

I tried the following:
Everything below 1024x768 works in all frequencies.
1024x768@60hz works, but running it is not an option, to much flicker.
1024x768@75hz "works" but the screen is awfully blurred.
1024x768@85hz wont work, monitor switches off.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Jake

Based on your description “Monitor screams in pain” this sounds like an obvious monitor problem. Monitors have built in protection circuits that usually blank the screen and put it in low Power State if it detects a failure. This is done to eliminate the chance of screen burn on the CRT and eliminate any possibility of excess radiation from the CRT.

If the video card was providing the wrong scan frequencies to the monitor I would expect the monitor to simply go into its power save mode. If the protection circuit is also failing then the symptom you describe is possible (loud scream). If this is the case, better to buy a new monitor than to try and fix it.

Good Luck

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Ok, thanks for the reply.

As I´ve already turned the monitor in (oh, that sounds odd) and the guy told me they pay the cost I will give it a go.
If it´s fubar I guess I consider buying a new monitor...as it is now I am using my almost 10 year old monitor instead and it´s a pain for the eyes.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I once found an everview monitor someone had dumped. It took it home and found it worked fine, but a weeks later it "screamed" and showed a scrambled picture. The reason for dumping was obvious. However, I powered it on then off while the computer was on and it worked! Sometimes I had to do it a few times. Maybe you should try that. Try a lower resoluton. I foudn that the everview worked fine a lower rez. It may have something to with the pixel clock. I think that at higher rez, it has to work harder. So if it fails the higher rez will not function but the lower rez (less stress)may. This makes sense considering the pixel clock determines resolution and that it scans faster at higher rezs. Kinda like an overclocked cpu. These are just hypothese from experience and reading btw. I can hear jim coming...

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I have this crappy 15" monitor that if put in a resolution or feresh rate too high will produce a weird scrambled picture and a screaming noise. I always guessed that the monitor just wouldnt support that res but perhps not??

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Uhm... No, I'm not saying that scrambled image and screaming rules out monitor refresh limitation. Your case may be different from jakes.

In Jakes case, it died all of sudden while working. So, assuming he was running in the right refresh in the first place, it could have been that his pixel clock just went kaputz. However, pixel clocks don't necessarily work or don't work. My experience suggests that they can fail at higher rez but still work at lower rez. So, if you your monitor fails at a higher rez, you may still salvage it for use at lower rez.

You should definitely not tax your monitor at a higher refresh rate if it doesn't support it! From your post, it's unclear whether that high refresh is supported by your monitor (anyways it doesn't now), if it isn't don't go there. Yes, possibly your monitor may have at one supported the higher refresh, but now does not.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Yes, my monitor was supposed to support that refresh rate/resolution ratio, but it didnt. I got this monitor second hand with a £10 PC. What im saying is that perhaps at one point in time, this monitor had exactly the same problem as Jakes, it was running normally at a supported standard but then failed to operate correctly at that supported rate.

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....