19-21 Inch Monitor - Help Me Find It

Balk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Unable to find a site with decent specs on the monitors they sell, I came here looking for some answers. I am, right now, using a Princeton 19in. monitor, and it's on its last leg. Here's what I'm looking for in a new monitor:

- Flat Screen
- 19-22 Inches
- 18 Inches or less in depth (17-18 Inches is ideal)
- Black (Aesthetic, doesn't really matter)

...so, who knows where to start looking? Obviously these are just my personal preferences, and I'd be looking for a monitor that actually WORKS decent, too, but this is a place to start. I definitely need the depth to be less than about 20", though, since this one's 21" and I an balancing the keyboard off the desk...

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure of depth, but take a look at the NEC950+.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

mattburklund

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
Monitorsdirect has a lot of basic specs, they sell there own brand called cornerstone at a competitive price, but imho the other monitors on the site are slightly overpriced.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
check out the newly released mitsu 2070sb-bk. It's 22" (20inch viewable). It's flat. It's black. It's 18.5" deep. It's got the new diamondtron m2 tube that is supposed to be 2X bright as other crts. You can get one under $800 at pricegrabber.com.

see below for specs.

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/home/mitsubishi_index.cfm

Visit the manufacturer's websites and you should find specs easily. Then go to a shop to buy what you already know you want.

Pricegrabber and pricewatch are some great sites to find low prices on just about anything.

What monitor to recommend depends a lot on your specific needs and budget. Most monitors have warranties for 3 years, but image quality differs vastly.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I agree. They seem and sound like real value options to their competitors, but they aren't even that cheap to begin with let alone their establishment in the industry. Value is one way besides stunning performance into the industry (i.e. samsung), but cornerstone seems not to have achieved either. Doubly dubious. The philosphy of a great company is their, but yet to be realized. Then you got a solicitor abusing the forum.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Aside from you I have received absolutely no complaints about my posts to this forum, in fact most of the feedback I get is very positive, thanks for your input I appreciate it.

Jim Witkowski
Chief hardware Engineer
MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

mattburklund

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2002
I think monitors direct is a fine site and I't is one of the sites I go to when comparing monitors. You seem to not like them, what site that is strickly a monitor site, do you like better for comparing products? When I mentioned that some of the products were slightly overpriced I didnt mean Iwould never buy from them, because I would and may, whenever I figure out what monitors I am going to buy. I have heard nothing but good about them from other posters in this forum, especially in regards to their return policy.

You seem to feel that there cornerstone monitors are poor in quality, Whereas I never heard of them until I read a review on tom's, bragging about the quality of the monitor. I wish it was as easy as running a few bench tests and then picking the winner, it is not that way. Infact many of the monitors people brag on Necfe991sb, tend to be poor in color quality to things like shadow mask viewsonics. I will prove it to you. Go to best buy look at the necfe991sb(which they usually have hooked up to a p4alien with g4ti, then look at the viesonic and even samsung, which are on splitter and are sm monitors. The reds in the viewsonic and samsung blow away the nec ag.
Now I am not saying that those cheaper monitors are better, but they are at produciing reds. Obviously there are MANY more factors than that, but it just goes to show that many of the factors in picking a monitor are personal preferance, some people base there decison on what they like, some on what they dont like. Just so you know I also compared a Samsung to a mitsubishiSB, side by side at best buy, even with the sb mode on the samsung still had better reds.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This forum would be a much poorer place without you, Jim .. and I for one greatly appreciate your participation. The information you have posted in the past has been invaluable, and I have often mentioned to other forum members my respect for your depth of experience on the subject matter.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>A better place to be</font color=orange></i>. :wink:

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
the nec-mitsubishi merger confuses people. There are two product lines; one nec-mitsu and the other the mitsu. The nec-mitsu are more available for some reason and fare worse in reviews that the acclamimed mitsu dp series. yes, the same tube, but there are other differences. The FE series is also among the lower in the nec-mitsu line.

I have a samsung d955f along with a sony cpde200 along with a mitsu dp2060 along with a mac cinema display and some older trashy 0.28 shadow masks. The mitsu dp is the most uniform screen in almost every respect. The text is nearly as appealing as the cinema display. The sony has a brighter more vivid picture but suffers ghosting. the samsun is alright, especially for a budget monitor that is available at retail stores, however it's black level is horrible. Also, moire on solids is very noticeable at the recommended rez (it dissappears at lower rez). Looks like grains of rice on the screen. Playing games or watching DVD's have a washed out look. blacks are ashen purple.

I like the idea of cornerstone and their return policy, it's just a unjustified risk to me. I've done a lot of research and found the reviews filled with some vacillation but with an overall low basal rank. The web is filled with great deals (pricegrabber.com and pricewatch.com) it would be foolish to buy a discount monitor without checking out the known name reputable brands which are sold very cheaply if not cheaper than cornerstone, especially as prices drop for crts.

I just the think using to forum to lure people is just the least bit unscrupulous regardless of the purported quality of a pushed product.

THG did not brag about the cornerstone monitor. It said it was good for the money. It had a number defects I care not to have. I tend to care less about value. Value is a ratio. BEst is absolute... until something new comes along. I'm just a picky guy.

I go to best buy often. I am always taken aback by sony's brilliant monitors. viewsonics look nearly as good, but are slightly fuzzy and curved, however I haven't seen the newer ones which are highly touted by a variety of sources. I've seen a nec, but it was one of the budget ones and looked pretty abused (it was obviously old). It looked nothing like the mitsu dp I have at home. I usually go the computer section and not the monitor section with the splitters. you should try that. you'll see a monitor more truly.

fry's has an even better selection with some higher end models. I saw no mitsu's but saw viewsonics, sonys, and nec-mitsu. The sony looked the best and viewsonic looked the worse. these were 21" models.

monitors direct is a good site for comparing monitors, but not for buying. pricegrabber.com and pricewatch.com are much cheaper. These sites empower the consumer. online retailers are always competing for the lowest price which is surely a good thing.

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Jim,

I do appreciate all your info too. I learn as well from you. Your advertisement is something most informed consumers will perhaps be more immune to than more impressible folks. As sincere as your intentions are or not, the practical result is obvious.

I like to question authoritative views, especially when they are somewhat inconsistent and generalized in themselves. Your credibility, it seems, easily masks the reality of your blunt advertisement, intentional or not.

It would be silly not to question an advertiser and perhaps selfish and naive of me to expect advice as pure as one would expect from a friend who has great exposure to monitor brands and quality.

Many readers will succumb to the trust you ostensibly convey.

We all have to feed the family.

Lastly, it's really a sign of respect (only regarding information... not the advertisement part) that one would press you for specific answers.

I hope these posts have not deterred you from answering future questions I may have.

Many thanks