NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640 1GB vs AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremey-san

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hi i have a choice between both cards with my system im buying and im curious for some experts opinions on which i should choose/is better.

Thank you so much!

Jeremey

What is the full system specs of the PC your buying?(You can provide a link if that's easier)

Their aren't really any benchmarks on the GT640 yet so I couldn't tell you exactly.But if I had to guess I would say they are about the same(less than 10% difference).The lower end cards from Nvidia and AMD are usually always about even performance wise.

Jeremey-san

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Heres the specs:
PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)
MEMORY 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD
HARD DRIVE 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

I dont know alot about GFX cards i have an older Dell XPS 420 and im going to upgrade to the XPS 8500 and i was just wondering which of the cards would be better or really not much difference.

Thanks!

laircouk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Hi there,

From the looks at your specs, 2TB hard drive is a little big... I mean big! If I were you, I wouldn't be spending £90~£100 on a hard drive that big. I would suggest you to speak with DELL for a 500GB HDD (Western Digital) and apply the money towards the GPU.... if you can...

You are the costumer and don't be afraid to make a request. You will never know if they will do it for you!

Second, regarding GPUs, I would prefer you to get NVIDIA GeForce GT 640. WHY? GDDR5 Nvidia GT640 out-performs AMD 7570 @ 950Mhz (Core Clock'), while GDDR5 ATi HD 7570 falls behind by 650 MHz.

Here is proof! Check the specs... :)

---------------------
AMD 7570 (1GB)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/amd7570.jpg/

Nvidia GT640 (1GB)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/gt640.jpg/

Have you purchased anything yet? If not, then I highly recommend you fill this out (or at least look at some of the questions): http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

We'll help you save a ton of money while getting the best computer possible.

That link above just asks basic questions like what you want a computer for, what your budget is, and where you're considering buying from. For the vast majority of users, a 3rd Gen i5 without a graphics card will do everything you want. And for a gamer, they should get it without a graphics card and then add a power supply (Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX) and a graphics card on their own.

Jeremey-san

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Thanks for all the advice everyone, i will try to answer everyones questions:

I dont game ALOT but i would like to start again, just any games that are interesting, FPS, Adventure, Action anything new that comes out.

Right now i have a 20" Monitor and thinking of maybe upgrading to a 24" my current resolution is 1680x1050

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: 1000 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Some gaming, video encoding/transcoding

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca or ncix.com

Parts Preferences: Anything really no preference.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No?

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

My current system has a Nvidia GeForce 9800GT i would assume that's worse than the two cards im asking about right?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I would prefer a rebuilt system i have never put one together and would just rather it be prebuilt like a dell or something if that matters plus i have a $500 dell voucher which is what made me start looking there.

How about this?

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k - $224.99
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
Motherboard: Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 - $149.99
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2x2GB) 1600 MHz x2 - $55.98
Graphics card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7850 2GB - Lifetime Warranty - $259.99
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 90 GB - $109.99
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB - $94.99
Case: Cooler Master Elite 311 - $39.99
Power Supply: Corsair CX500 - $64.99
DVD drive: LG DVD Burner 24x - $15.99

Total: $1051.89.

It's a bit over your budget, but it's a very solid build. Will do anything: games, rendering. Also, I included an SSD for insanely fast response times + almost instant booting. Trust me, once you try it, you'll never want to go to HDDs again :)

Jeremey-san

Honorable
May 8, 2012

I was only looking to get a comp for about 1000 so either 500+500vouch dell or 1000 cash otherwise.

Right now im just curious if the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640 1GB GDDR5 is better than my old Nvidia GeForce 9800GT I think i will most likley just get the

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)

Intel® “Panther Point” H7

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

12GB6 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640 1GB GDDR5

For 949.99 free ship and maybe just pick up another GFX card later on if i need it, its prob not worth it but convience is a premium. Plus i like the new i7 Ivy. As long as that Nvidia card isnt worse than what i currently have.

The 9800GT was high end 2008. The GT 640 is med-low/low 2010/2012 so they're actually comparable. I'd expect at most a 50% improvement. If you just put a little more towards graphics, it'll get A LOT more done.

I totally understand your sentiment for wanting to use your Dell voucher and not build a whole system yourself. But there are three things you need to consider:
1) Dell is going to put a terrible power supply in your computer and it will be dangerous to run a graphics card with it.
2) Dell will charge you at least 150% of what a graphics card should cost if you buy it from them.
3) It's easy to replace power supplies and graphics cards with just a phillips (+) screw driver. You just need to remember to connect it everywhere the original one was (motherboard, CPU, hard drive, fans, graphics card).

Since you've already got $500 there, I agree with sticking with Dell. So let's find you something that suits your needs that we can drop a $40-$60 reliable power supply in (read "reliable" as Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX) and add a graphics card into. It sounds to me like your monitor is adequate for now, so we'll just be looking at your tower and these two extra parts.

I assume you mean $1000 including your $500 Dell coupon? And does the normal Dell website ship to Canada or should I be looking at Dell.ca or something?

Does your Dell Coupon apply to the Dell Outlet? If so, that could save you a boatload of cash.

Btw, what's your current CPU? If you're using a Core 2 Duo, then even an i3-2100 is a solid upgrade. If you're running a Q9400, then I'd feel silly "upgrading" you to less than an i5.

EDIT: Looking at Dell prices, it appears they want to charge you $190 to upgrade from an i5 to an i7. This is completely ridiculous considering that you'll rarely encounter a performance difference and that they typically only carry a $100 difference if you buy them yourself. I'm much more comfortable recommending an i5.

Also, don't get excited about 3rd Gen Core i CPUs. If they're at the same clock rate, their performance is nearly identical to 2nd Gen ones. And if it's a matter of 3.5GHz to 3.4GHz, the performance difference is pretty much 3.5/3.4 ~ 1. You won't see more than a 10% improvement, probably less.

To me, the only choice with Dell on price/performance is the Vostro 470 Mini Tower for $549 here: http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/vostro-470/fs
It's got a [3rd Gen] i5 and USB 3.0 in an mATX case, so it'll fit standard upgrades like a PSU.

But there's the dilemma of: How big of a graphics card can it fit?

I would say to order it for $50 out of your pocket and physically take the side panel off and measure the space for a graphics card after it arrives in the mail.

How big of a graphics card do you need? I'm pretty sure a $130 6870 would make you very happy. But you could splurge and get a 7850 or a $190 6950 2GB. You could also splurge and upgrade to an i7. The i7 will have benefits in encoding/transcoding, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg for no benefit in non-intensive usage.

Once you decide on a graphics card, it's time for a PSU. You should just buy whatever's on sale that provides 500W from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX. Check to see what's on sale when you're ready to make a purchase. A higher wattage PSU is useless if you never use the power. Honestly, a $16 Corsair CX430 would power everything we've mentioned except the 6950 admirably.

Jeremey-san

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Wow so many replies i dont know where to start, heh. The $500 voucher can be used on anything on dell, im not sure if dell outlet has one in canada or even ships to canada, but any on Dell.ca for sure.

Im just trying to get a really good system with minimal effort, i have never built a system before and dont have alot of patience so im sure i would fail at building it from scratch but buying a system and upgrading a couple parts wouldnt be hard as long as it can be as good as the system i posted or better :). As for what size of graphics cards, it doesnt really matter just something good for games/encoding/transcoding best bang for the buck really is all i want. Sorry for not understanding everything, trying my best.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also i dont need to use the voucher i could save it for something else if something so much better could be gotten for the money, if it was well worth it compared to the dell i posted i would take the time to piece it together for the first time :sweat: .

Status
Not open for further replies.