Sign in with
Your question
Closed

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640 1GB vs AMD Radeon™ HD 7570 1GB GDDR5

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 3:30:09 AM

What is the full system specs of the PC your buying?(You can provide a link if that's easier)

Their aren't really any benchmarks on the GT640 yet so I couldn't tell you exactly.But if I had to guess I would say they are about the same(less than 10% difference).The lower end cards from Nvidia and AMD are usually always about even performance wise.
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 3:56:16 AM

GT 640 is an OEM, it has more than one specs differs from one to another, If you'll get the GDDR5 version it will be around HD 7770 performance.
Related resources
May 9, 2012 4:42:52 AM

Heres the specs:
PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)
MEMORY 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD
HARD DRIVE 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

I dont know alot about GFX cards i have an older Dell XPS 420 and im going to upgrade to the XPS 8500 and i was just wondering which of the cards would be better or really not much difference.

Thanks!
May 9, 2012 6:13:00 AM

I forgot to add that the Ndvidia card is the GDDR5 version
May 9, 2012 6:29:23 AM

is this a laptop?
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 6:35:52 AM

Do you play games much?

It seems a shame to get such a low end GPU with such high end components like that.
a c 289 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 6:39:42 AM

What will you use the computer for? Those cards are both very very weak.
May 9, 2012 9:40:06 AM

I use it for a mixture of gaming/video encoding/transcoding/general use.
a c 289 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 9:54:56 AM

What games are you planning to play? What is your monitor resolution?
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 10:11:10 AM

Jeremey-san said:
I use it for a mixture of gaming/video encoding/transcoding/general use.

You can customize your Dell machine not to include the GFX card and buy it your own.
May 9, 2012 10:14:36 AM

Jeremey-san said:
Heres the specs:
PROCESSOR 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)
MEMORY 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD
HARD DRIVE 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

I dont know alot about GFX cards i have an older Dell XPS 420 and im going to upgrade to the XPS 8500 and i was just wondering which of the cards would be better or really not much difference.

Thanks!

Hi there,

From the looks at your specs, 2TB hard drive is a little big... I mean big! If I were you, I wouldn't be spending £90~£100 on a hard drive that big. I would suggest you to speak with DELL for a 500GB HDD (Western Digital) and apply the money towards the GPU.... if you can...

You are the costumer and don't be afraid to make a request. You will never know if they will do it for you!

Second, regarding GPUs, I would prefer you to get NVIDIA GeForce GT 640. WHY? GDDR5 Nvidia GT640 out-performs AMD 7570 @ 950Mhz (Core Clock'), while GDDR5 ATi HD 7570 falls behind by 650 MHz.

Here is proof! Check the specs... :) 

---------------------
AMD 7570 (1GB)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/amd7570.jpg/

Nvidia GT640 (1GB)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/gt640.jpg/

a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 10:52:11 AM

Have you purchased anything yet? If not, then I highly recommend you fill this out (or at least look at some of the questions): http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

We'll help you save a ton of money while getting the best computer possible.

That link above just asks basic questions like what you want a computer for, what your budget is, and where you're considering buying from. For the vast majority of users, a 3rd Gen i5 without a graphics card will do everything you want. And for a gamer, they should get it without a graphics card and then add a power supply (Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX) and a graphics card on their own.
May 9, 2012 8:10:15 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone, i will try to answer everyones questions:

I dont game ALOT but i would like to start again, just any games that are interesting, FPS, Adventure, Action anything new that comes out.

Right now i have a 20" Monitor and thinking of maybe upgrading to a 24" my current resolution is 1680x1050

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: 1000 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Some gaming, video encoding/transcoding

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca or ncix.com

Parts Preferences: Anything really no preference.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No?

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

My current system has a Nvidia GeForce 9800GT i would assume that's worse than the two cards im asking about right?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I would prefer a rebuilt system i have never put one together and would just rather it be prebuilt like a dell or something if that matters plus i have a $500 dell voucher which is what made me start looking there.
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 8:13:07 PM

I just would suggest something like HD 7850 in case of you upgraded your monitor and wanted to play some games with high quality.
a c 289 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 8:49:58 PM

How about this?

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k - $224.99
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
Motherboard: Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 - $149.99
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2x2GB) 1600 MHz x2 - $55.98
Graphics card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7850 2GB - Lifetime Warranty - $259.99
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 90 GB - $109.99
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB - $94.99
Case: Cooler Master Elite 311 - $39.99
Power Supply: Corsair CX500 - $64.99
DVD drive: LG DVD Burner 24x - $15.99

Total: $1051.89.

It's a bit over your budget, but it's a very solid build. Will do anything: games, rendering. Also, I included an SSD for insanely fast response times + almost instant booting. Trust me, once you try it, you'll never want to go to HDDs again :) 
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 8:54:21 PM

So you have $1500 to spend with Dell?
May 9, 2012 11:03:26 PM

purple stank said:
So you have $1500 to spend with Dell?

I was only looking to get a comp for about 1000 so either 500+500vouch dell or 1000 cash otherwise.

Right now im just curious if the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640 1GB GDDR5 is better than my old Nvidia GeForce 9800GT I think i will most likley just get the

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 processor (3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz)

Intel® “Panther Point” H7

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

12GB6 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640 1GB GDDR5

For 949.99 free ship and maybe just pick up another GFX card later on if i need it, its prob not worth it but convience is a premium. Plus i like the new i7 Ivy. As long as that Nvidia card isnt worse than what i currently have.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 11:11:18 PM

Jeremey-san said:
My current system has a Nvidia GeForce 9800GT i would assume that's worse than the two cards im asking about right?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I would prefer a rebuilt system i have never put one together and would just rather it be prebuilt like a dell or something if that matters plus i have a $500 dell voucher which is what made me start looking there.
The 9800GT was high end 2008. The GT 640 is med-low/low 2010/2012 so they're actually comparable. I'd expect at most a 50% improvement. If you just put a little more towards graphics, it'll get A LOT more done.

I totally understand your sentiment for wanting to use your Dell voucher and not build a whole system yourself. But there are three things you need to consider:
1) Dell is going to put a terrible power supply in your computer and it will be dangerous to run a graphics card with it.
2) Dell will charge you at least 150% of what a graphics card should cost if you buy it from them.
3) It's easy to replace power supplies and graphics cards with just a phillips (+) screw driver. You just need to remember to connect it everywhere the original one was (motherboard, CPU, hard drive, fans, graphics card).

Since you've already got $500 there, I agree with sticking with Dell. So let's find you something that suits your needs that we can drop a $40-$60 reliable power supply in (read "reliable" as Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX) and add a graphics card into. It sounds to me like your monitor is adequate for now, so we'll just be looking at your tower and these two extra parts.

I assume you mean $1000 including your $500 Dell coupon? And does the normal Dell website ship to Canada or should I be looking at Dell.ca or something?
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 11:16:23 PM

Does your Dell Coupon apply to the Dell Outlet? If so, that could save you a boatload of cash.

Btw, what's your current CPU? If you're using a Core 2 Duo, then even an i3-2100 is a solid upgrade. If you're running a Q9400, then I'd feel silly "upgrading" you to less than an i5.

EDIT: Looking at Dell prices, it appears they want to charge you $190 to upgrade from an i5 to an i7. This is completely ridiculous considering that you'll rarely encounter a performance difference and that they typically only carry a $100 difference if you buy them yourself. I'm much more comfortable recommending an i5.

Also, don't get excited about 3rd Gen Core i CPUs. If they're at the same clock rate, their performance is nearly identical to 2nd Gen ones. And if it's a matter of 3.5GHz to 3.4GHz, the performance difference is pretty much 3.5/3.4 ~ 1. You won't see more than a 10% improvement, probably less.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 11:26:00 PM

Yeah your best bet is to build it yourself.You get soooo much more bang for your buck.
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 11:48:06 PM

To me, the only choice with Dell on price/performance is the Vostro 470 Mini Tower for $549 here: http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/vostro-470/fs
It's got a [3rd Gen] i5 and USB 3.0 in an mATX case, so it'll fit standard upgrades like a PSU.

But there's the dilemma of: How big of a graphics card can it fit?

I would say to order it for $50 out of your pocket and physically take the side panel off and measure the space for a graphics card after it arrives in the mail.

How big of a graphics card do you need? I'm pretty sure a $130 6870 would make you very happy. But you could splurge and get a 7850 or a $190 6950 2GB. You could also splurge and upgrade to an i7. The i7 will have benefits in encoding/transcoding, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg for no benefit in non-intensive usage.

Once you decide on a graphics card, it's time for a PSU. You should just buy whatever's on sale that provides 500W from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX. Check to see what's on sale when you're ready to make a purchase. A higher wattage PSU is useless if you never use the power. Honestly, a $16 Corsair CX430 would power everything we've mentioned except the 6950 admirably.
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 12:09:50 AM

purple stank said:
Yeah your best bet is to build it yourself.You get soooo much more bang for your buck.
While typically true, this guy has a $500 Dell coupon. So if he gets a system marked at $550, he's doing pretty well on price/performance.
May 10, 2012 1:12:49 AM

Wow so many replies i dont know where to start, heh. The $500 voucher can be used on anything on dell, im not sure if dell outlet has one in canada or even ships to canada, but any on Dell.ca for sure.

Im just trying to get a really good system with minimal effort, i have never built a system before and dont have alot of patience so im sure i would fail at building it from scratch but buying a system and upgrading a couple parts wouldnt be hard as long as it can be as good as the system i posted or better :) . As for what size of graphics cards, it doesnt really matter just something good for games/encoding/transcoding best bang for the buck really is all i want. Sorry for not understanding everything, trying my best.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also i dont need to use the voucher i could save it for something else if something so much better could be gotten for the money, if it was well worth it compared to the dell i posted i would take the time to piece it together for the first time :sweat:  .
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 1:28:20 AM

Buying a prebuilt system from Dell with the $500 voucher is just to much work,imo.You not going to get good processing power at that price.And if you do start to get back into gaming your going to have to buy a new case,motherboard,etc.

I would use the voucher towards one of Dell's 2560x1400 monitors.And spend your $1000 on a pre-built system.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1688...
May 10, 2012 2:08:18 AM

purple stank said:
Buying a prebuilt system from Dell with the $500 voucher is just to much work,imo.You not going to get good processing power at that price.And if you do start to get back into gaming your going to have to buy a new case,motherboard,etc.

I would use the voucher towards one of Dell's 2560x1400 monitors.And spend your $1000 on a pre-built system.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1688...

Thanks for the suggestions, i wasent only going to spend the $500 voucher at dell it was going to be $500+500 Voucher if that matters. That system looks nice what does everyone else think of it?
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 2:16:47 AM

Okay, I agree with purple stank on this. You can get a laptop (which is VERY impractical to build on your own) or one of Dell's great monitors with that voucher.

Lucocomputers.com lets you customize all the parts. I like this one: http://www.lucomputers.com/site/view_configure_system.a...
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 2:20:13 AM

I can't argue with that system posted by purple stank.

I can't say I'm happy with it because I'd build a better one myself for that price. But it's not a big ripoff and it'll do everything you want very well.

Does anyone know about the quality of PSUs that IBuyPower uses?
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 2:54:53 AM

Yah I agree with you 100% on that.I would much rather build it myself too but the OP doesn't want the hassle of building it,which is understandable.I know my first time thinking about building one it was very confusing.But once you get into it it becomes very simple and fun.

IBuyPower and Cyberpower have pretty low end PSU's in their systems(almost every OEM does except Dell).That 700 watt they provide with that is probably only good for about 600-650 of peak power.
a c 289 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 4:37:34 AM

@OP: I'll try to convince you. Building a system for a first time is scary, I know. I experienced it myself. You always think that you'll break something, etc. However, it's just bad thoughts, and the whole building process is rather short and enjoyable. You'll take no more than 1 hour, however, you'll get way better PC for your money. Trust me, it's very fun activity. Don't be scared ;) 

HD 7850 is around 4 times faster than GT 640. Do you really want same price for way less power?

About the build I made. If you really cannot spend $1050, then take the SSD out. It's a very nice upgrade, but if it's over your budget, taking it out will bring the price to $940.

Last thing: why do you want Ivy Bridge i7, especially non K model? The i5 2500k or even i7 2600k will be so much faster than non-k ivy bridge.
May 10, 2012 6:06:06 AM

Ok you convinced me i will build my own, i feel like leaving out the SSD is there something else you would reccomend for the price? Also out of all the stuff you listed in your opinion thats the best i can get for money? Do i need anything else?

Thanks again everyone!
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 6:56:22 AM

I agree with Sunius.It really is the best route.And that build is very good.Here's my input on it.The reference designs can be a bit noisy.For $10 more you could for the Gigabyte version with a nice factory O.C. and a good aftermarket heatsink.Also if you don't want to spend money on the SSD I would suggest getting some more RAM instead.As well as upgrading the PSU to a more quality one that you can use for Crossfire later on if you so choose.

GPU
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

RAM
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

PSU
May 10, 2012 7:07:23 AM

XPS used to use an 80Plus Bronze PSU, not the best, but very good for being a premade PC. Not sure about te 8500 since that's a new version.
Since XPS is a higher class than the cheapest Dell, it's components are not junk.

A lot of what people post here talks about value which is true. However, a 1500 Dell PC is going to be similar or better than a 1000 premade in terms of component pricing especially if your not doing rebates as you mentioned. You just get more freedom when you build yourself in terms splurging on what you want rather than what Dell is making you splurge.

Since the XPS 8500 is newly released, it's not fully configurable. Thus your limited with the graphics card option. In a few weeks, I'd expect the XPS to allow for more customization.
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 7:28:55 AM

Thanks Sunious! I'm really glad he's building it. Although I don't know about "no more than 1 hour". I'd say 3 hours, assuming the front panel connectors are a pain and he struggles to stuff PSU cables in a back panel, that kind of stuff.

OP, I suggest you set aside a Saturday afternoon for the build. You may well finish in 1 hour, but it could run a little longer.

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU SIGN UP FOR NEWEGG.CA'S EMAIL LIST IMMEDIATELY SO THAT YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THEIR PROMOTION CODES. You may have done this already.

There are a lot of choices on the specific parts. Sunius just gave one build choice, but we should consider all the parts for a little bit.

Here's what Sunius posted and while it would work, the choices are not perfect (not that anything is perfect):

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k - $224.99
Perfect

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
I'd go Hyper 212+ because it's often $20 after rebate and the OP won't need extreme cooling.

Motherboard: Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 - $149.99
No front panel USB 3.0. Pick something different. I believe this mobo only has 6 phase power, but that should be adequate for 4.5GHz or so, so I'm alright with that. There are several EXCELLENT Z68, Z75, and Z77 choices from ASRock and Gigabyte.

RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2x2GB) 1600 MHz x2 - $55.98
I'd go with an 8GB (2x4GB) kit instead of 8GB (4x2GB). It's simpler, stays cooler, and often costs less than $55. For example, this kit was on sale for $50 w/ free shipping recently: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Graphics card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7850 2GB - Lifetime Warranty - $259.99
I'd prefer a dual fan solution as AMD's stock fan solutions haven't been great in any capacity the last couple years. For the same price, I'd go with MSI's very well reputed Twin Frozr Version: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
No Dirt 3? So what? You can pick plenty of great games from the last year up on Steam for $7.50 or less.

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 90 GB - $109.99
I've seen plenty of 120GB drives for $100 flat lately (on Newegg.com). I've also seen an Agility 3 240GB for $170. At those prices, I have a hard time recommending today's overpriced mechanical hard disk drives (due to Thailand floods).

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB - $94.99
I'd skip this, not the SSD. Do you have an old HDD you can reuse for now? If you intend to do video encoding/transcoding, you must have an HDD somewhere.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 311 - $39.99
This seems excessively cheap for a $1000 build. Put up another $20 and find the cheapest case with front panel USB 3.0. Once you pick up something like a Corsair Voyager GT 32GB USB 3.0, you'll understand why I care so much about it. Mine reads at 120MB/s+ and writes at 40MB/s+ when it's in USB 3.0 plugs and the newer version Corsair was recently selling for $30 is faster.

Power Supply: Corsair CX500 - $64.99
Not bad for $45 after rebate. All that really matters is you stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX. I've seen XFX 650W PSUs for $49.99 after rebate on newegg.com. Technically, a 500W should be able to handle this system overclocked with two 7850's. But I'd be more comfortable recommending a 550W if that was your goal. Of course, corners may need to be cut somewhere to fit in this budget.

DVD drive: LG DVD Burner 24x - $15.99
Perfect

Lastly, has anyone looked at the new Intel Chipsets like B75? It seems solid, but doesn't allow "RAM overclocking". Then there's Q75 and Q77. What exactly would no "RAM overclocking" mean? Does it mean that you can only use the XMP settings? If so, that wouldn't be an issue and a B75 board might be perfect for the OP.

EDIT: Canada? Oops, I forgot about that. That'll raise prices just a little bit. That'll also take a little longer to look through motherboards and better knowledge of the chipsets. I'll get back to you tomorrow morning (Guam time).
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 7:38:43 AM

yialanliu said:
XPS used to use an 80Plus Bronze PSU, not the best, but very good for being a premade PC. Not sure about te 8500 since that's a new version.
Since XPS is a higher class than the cheapest Dell, it's components are not junk.

A lot of what people post here talks about value which is true. However, a 1500 Dell PC is going to be similar or better than a 1000 premade in terms of component pricing especially if your not doing rebates as you mentioned. You just get more freedom when you build yourself in terms splurging on what you want rather than what Dell is making you splurge.

Since the XPS 8500 is newly released, it's not fully configurable. Thus your limited with the graphics card option. In a few weeks, I'd expect the XPS to allow for more customization.
80 Plus Bronze doesn't matter nearly as much as who makes it.

Yes, Dell components (mobo, case, drives) are junk. At the very least, they're worse than what's in my computers.

Dell isn't "splurging" on great parts when they charge you more, they're charging for assembly and churning a profit. The XPS will probably end up having more options down the line, but you will always have a PC made with better parts if you build it yourself UNLESS it's a clearance item under $500.

Once you dip under the $500 threshold, you lose a lot to accommodate Windows as 1/5 of the budget.

OP, do you have access to a copy of Windows (like are you a college student or someone else who gets a discount)?
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 7:44:03 AM

purple stank said:
I agree with Sunius.It really is the best route.And that build is very good.Here's my input on it.The reference designs can be a bit noisy.For $10 more you could for the Gigabyte version with a nice factory O.C. and a good aftermarket heatsink.Also if you don't want to spend money on the SSD I would suggest getting some more RAM instead.As well as upgrading the PSU to a more quality one that you can use for Crossfire later on if you so choose.

GPU

RAM
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

PSU
I mostly agree, but you're going overboard on that PSU. Add up the power draw of an overclock i5-2500K and dual 7850 system and you'll realize a single 500W can actually power it. Here's three very capable cheaper alternatives:

Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
I'm using this currently on my work computer. (Corsair TX850 at home.)

SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
The cheapest of this bunch, but still completely adequate and well worth the $30 price difference IMO.

EDIT: If money is not a big concern and it's more of a general target, then I'd go with the Seasonic of the ones I listed.

EDIT 2: Oh, I didn't see that XFX had a $15 rebate. Okay, well in that case it's a much better price than I thought. It's a toss up between that and the Seasonic.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 8:05:33 AM

Good call on that Twin Frozr.I must of missed it.

I was thinking the same thing on the HDD.I would just ditch the HDD and put the extra money towards a bigger SSD however this build isn't just for gaming.I figured since the OP is also doing video encoding/transcoding that they might want the larger HDD instead.

The CX series from Corsair is good but it's not their best quality.In fact i'm pretty sure that entire lineup is meant for budget builders.The Seasonic is another good one but it's got multiple rails.But that's just a pet peeve of mine.It still works as intended.I tried looking for a modular PSU but I just couldn't find any "quality" ones within the price point.
May 10, 2012 8:29:59 AM

So much great stuff to take in, i was looking at cases and spotted this one, it looks nice has has a good rating but i have no idea how to know if it will work with everything else

I also added:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active

GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (The "Twin Frozr" is Out of stock)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

Now you said i should pick another Mobo, but thats something i have zero idea about what to choose so i would just go with whatever you says good heh.

With all of that and shipping/taxes its $1046.98 so far. Which is great. Thats so much for everyone work so far! So very appreciated
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 10:24:06 AM

It looks nice but my only problem with it is that it supports only one 120mm fan.Anything less than that size usually won't push very much air and will be loud otherwise.Also the inside isn't painted which really mess's up the good looking side panel.And the case looks very small on the inside.

How are you at $1046? After removing the SSD and upgrading the PSU it should be less than $1000.

I'm not saying the CX600 is a bad PSU but going with a CX series kinda defeats the purpose of getting a better quality one because it's the same as the CX500.Go with the Seasonic or the XFX one.
a c 289 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 11:45:54 AM

Glad I convinced you :) .

I could say that USB 3.0 is not really useful. At least for me. I have never used USB 3.0 yet, though I own this system for 7 months already. I recommended that motherboard because it's cheap (when compared to alternatives), have good reviews, and, foremost, I have it myself and I could say it was a solid platform for overclocking.

Going with Kingston RAM should be a good idea, they have lifetime warranty, which, according to me, is value. I'd say it's worth more than saving $5. If you prefer 2 sticks, there are 2x4 GB kits for sale as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That RAM is decent, stable at 2133 MHz (personal experience again, haven't tried clocking higher).

About going cheap with case and graphics card model: was trying to fit in $1000 mark :p .
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 10, 2012 12:56:07 PM

I wouldn't recommend going with 1.65v RAM with SB but that's just my personal preference.Intel recommends 1.5volts but 1.65volts will still work.
May 10, 2012 8:49:30 PM

Ok after reading through everyone suggestions this is what i now have:

ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor $199.99

Subtotal: $199.99
What's this?EHF: $11.50
Calculate ShippingPostal Code Update Method
Shipping: $8.99
Handling: $0.00
GST/HST: $11.03
PST: $0.00

Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan $49.99

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $119.99

GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $269.99

XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) 650W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply $99.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM $58.99

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $149.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K $224.99

Newegg Promotional Gift Card - $10.00

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+ $34.99

Subtotal: $1,008.92
Calculate Shipping
Shipping: $40.33
Handling: $0.00
GST/HST: $52.47
PST: $0.00

Grand Total: $1,333.23

I belive thats everything thats suggested, except the SSD HD, i just never used one and would rather not have 2 HD's hooked up into my system so i just chose the bigger 2TB HD which i could use because i have a 1TB now and its full. Also i could salvage some parts from my machine but im actually giving it to someone who cannot afford a computer it will be their first so i thought it would be nice to just give them mine its a good system just not for what i want. If you have any farther suggestions that would be great, maybe i missed something but i tried taking everyones advice.

One thing about the SSD's im wondering if they last longer than normal HD's? I remember when they first same out that people were saying they wont last as long as a normal HD so thats why im steering away but maybe its changed in the last couple years.

I also changed the budget to be 1400 with taxes and shipping so if anything else is recommended for the other $67 let me know i just want the best so i might as well spend as much as i need.

Just curious that it seems like im missing something, does this stuff come with all the cables/attachments i need? Do i need thermal paste for the CPU?

Also is the Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K any better than the once chosen? Its only a couple bucks cheaper and has a $20 rebate instead of $10 maybe its me and my thinking that new higher the number of the item the better, which is why i wanted the i7.
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 12:04:53 AM

Jeremey-san said:
So much great stuff to take in, i was looking at cases and spotted this one, it looks nice has has a good rating but i have no idea how to know if it will work with everything else

No front panel USB 3.0. If you use flash sticks (I'm pretty sure most people do), you'll want front panel ports. But some other people don't seem to be bothered by this as much as me.

I like the RAIDMAX Super Hurricane ATX-248NWU linked by purple stank: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
It's $20 cheaper than the Rosewill Destroyer (after rebate) and has front panel USB 3.0.
May 11, 2012 12:30:45 AM

I dont use alot of USB 3.0 sticks i have two USB 2.0's that i use occosioaly so i dont think i would need the 3.0 on the front, plus i like the other one has 3 fans which i like because its rather hot here so the more cooling for me the better. I just noticed the Rosewill DESTROYER doesnt have any power buttons on the front, i have never had one without it, odd. I think im going to place my order tonight or tomorrow morning so if anything else you would recommend i would be grateful. I may add an SSD if i can find one with a good price/size ratio. Do SSDs have a longer or shorter lifespan than Traditional ones?

EDIT:

I was browing NCIX on their sales and found some stuff and im wondering if its better than the things i have chosen:

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit 44.79
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59431&vpn=CMZ8GX...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory 46.99
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=57953&vpn=F3-128...

NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked CPU ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 DDR3 SLI Motherboard 399.99
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=71678&vpn=P8Z68-...

I really have no idea how to compare this stuff and to even know if its compatible with everything else, the last one with the CPU seems like a good price if the motherboard is good or not i have no idea. I was already buying something from NCIX so i was looking to see if anything around on there.

a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 1:41:46 AM

Jeremey-san said:
Ok after reading through everyone suggestions this is what i now have:

ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor $199.99

Rosewill DESTROYER Black $49.99

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $119.99

GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD Radeon HD 7850 $269.99

XFX Core Edition PRO650W $99.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM $58.99

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $149.99

Intel Core i5-2500K $224.99
Newegg Promotional Gift Card - $10.00

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+ $34.99

Subtotal: $1,008.92
Shipping: $40.33
GST/HST: $52.47

Grand Total (adding monitor?): $1,333.23

I belive thats everything thats suggested, except the SSD HD, i just never used one and would rather not have 2 HD's hooked up into my system so i just chose the bigger 2TB HD which i could use because i have a 1TB now and its full. Also i could salvage some parts from my machine but im actually giving it to someone who cannot afford a computer it will be their first so i thought it would be nice to just give them mine its a good system just not for what i want. If you have any farther suggestions that would be great, maybe i missed something but i tried taking everyones advice.

One thing about the SSD's im wondering if they last longer than normal HD's? I remember when they first same out that people were saying they wont last as long as a normal HD so thats why im steering away but maybe its changed in the last couple years.

I also changed the budget to be 1400 with taxes and shipping so if anything else is recommended for the other $67 let me know i just want the best so i might as well spend as much as i need.

Just curious that it seems like im missing something, does this stuff come with all the cables/attachments i need? Do i need thermal paste for the CPU?

Also is the Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K any better than the once chosen? Its only a couple bucks cheaper and has a $20 rebate instead of $10 maybe its me and my thinking that new higher the number of the item the better, which is why i wanted the i7.
Monitor: I'd go 21.5" or 22" because that's the sweet spot on price right now at $130 or so. But if you can afford it and you'd enjoy it more, a good 24" is worth it.

Case: Discussed in previous posts.

HDD: Samsung is as good as anyone else in my book. [Deleted reference to Newegg.com] I'd wait to buy an HDD until prices return to pre-flood.

SSD: It'll matter a lot more to how your computer feels than a good CPU or RAM. I highly recommend you consider this. I suggest a 128GB M4. No, they don't last longer than typical HDDs, but both HDD and SSD should last 5 years--not that I'm guaranteeing they will--until you've moved on to another computer.

Graphics: Sounds great :) 

PSU: You will be very happy with that PSU's performance for your next computer as well.

RAM: You don't need CL8, so feel free to get any 8GB (2x4GB) 1600CL9 or faster 1.5V kit from G. Skill, Kingston, Corsair, Mushkin, or Geil.

Mobo: I still think you should get front panel USB 3.0. But it's your call.

CPU: i5-2500K overclocks better than the i5-2570K, that's why we recommend it. Honestly, it probably won't make much of a difference for you. It'll likely be the difference between a 4.4GHz OC and a 4.6GHz OC.

Cooler: I'd go with the Hyper 212+ if it's more than $5 cheaper because it'll provide all the cooling you actually need. Make sure these cases can actually fit the 158mm coolers we've been discussing.
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 1:48:42 AM

Jeremey-san said:
I was browing NCIX on their sales and found some stuff and im wondering if its better than the things i have chosen:

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit 44.79
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59431&vpn=CMZ8GX...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory 46.99
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=57953&vpn=F3-128...

NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked CPU ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 DDR3 SLI Motherboard 399.99
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=71678&vpn=P8Z68-...

I really have no idea how to compare this stuff and to even know if its compatible with everything else, the last one with the CPU seems like a good price if the motherboard is good or not i have no idea. I was already buying something from NCIX so i was looking to see if anything around on there.
Don't be afraid to buy some parts off of Newegg and some off of NCIX.

The Vengeance RAM tends to be very tall--so you'll have to be careful with your cooler. That G. Skill also has tall heatsinks. Still, I'd buy one of those and save $12 over the 1600CL8 Newegg kit. I'd personally get this Mushkin: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60640&vpn=996995&manufact...

That board is very good for the $160 or so you'd be paying for it. It does more than you need, but it is a high-end board.
May 11, 2012 2:22:31 AM

Pardon me but what do you mean by i have to be carefull with my cooler? Also does the CPU come with the Thermal compound to install with or do i need it separate

Also is the the 212+ you said i shoud get?
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-G1&...

Also you said to make sure the cases fit the 158mm cooler, how would i do that? As i said i have no clue about these things :( .

I think i may go with the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL ram mainly because it has some many good reviews on newegg, i always like buying products with alot of reviews and it has the most, but i really wish i would know if it would get in the way like you said
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 4:32:19 AM

Yeah, that's the 212+, but it doesn't look like much of a deal. Stick with the EVO.

If you want to make sure the case can fit a 212+/EVO, you can look through the Newegg.com reviews and someone will probably mention how it fits stuff.

I took some photos of the inside of my case to show what I mean about tall RAM and my Hyper 212+. If I had Vengeance RAM, I couldn't fit my fan.
Case door off: http://i49.tinypic.com/2bchuc.jpg
Cooler fan against RAM 1: http://i49.tinypic.com/e80q35.jpg
Cooler fan against RAM 2: http://i45.tinypic.com/2ahz6v5.jpg
Cooler fan moved up to fit on top of RAM: http://i49.tinypic.com/2mmtpb5.jpg
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2012 4:35:53 AM

Also, if the case is less than 8" thick, it may have trouble. Honestly, you could skip a CPU cooler to start and buy one down the line when you plan on overclocking. The stock cooler is adequate for stock CPU speeds.
!