GPU upgrade for £200, advice needed

parkour47

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
So I recently put together a new system and am currently running on the Asus GTX 550Ti, which to be fair is a decent card for the price. But not good enough for high-end gaming, so I'm planning to replace it with a 560Ti with Direct CUII and then maybe SLI in about five or six months (when I can afford it).

Firstly, does anyone have a better option for me or is this the most reasonable course of action? Bare in mind that I'm not keeping the 550Ti, so another of those doesn't make a pair and is not really going to work :)

Secondly what about VRAM, I've noticed that most cards in this range are available in either 1Gb or 2Gb... as I'll be playing everything in 1920x1080 res, and (if I'm not mistaken) running SLI means I wouldn't be get twice the amount of VRAM, might I need the 2Gb version?

Thirdly, will I have to consider the extra power consumption or is my 700W PSU safe for now? Opinions about the rest of my build are also welcome - I know it's not a behemoth - just trying to get what I can out of it.

Don't know if it makes much difference but here's a short list of games I might play: Skyrim, Metro 2033, Civ 5, The Witcher 1 & 2, Max Payne 3 (and whatever comes out later this year). By the way I wasn't sure whether to put this thread in HB systems, but as it mostly relates to my GPU I though here would be more appropriate.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
after five or six month nvidia launches new gpuu gtx 660 ti and 650 ti also if u cant resist go for7850 low power consumption and beats gtx 560 ti

sunnk

Distinguished
i hate taxes in india i bought a pizza from dominoz of rs 115 of regular size and then with includind taxes it becomes rs 130 and pizza was very small didnt full my stomach huh i hate taxes in such things and then what my pocket money of whole day has been wasted huh dominoz sucks

parkour47

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Much appreciation to everyone for your input, links and advice, very useful information (and now I'm hungry for a pizza... although I have to ask, what were you doing getting a dominoz in India of all places? They have some of the best - and largest variety of - street food and cheap cuisine in the world!)

I've done plenty of reading up in the last couple of hours thanks to your wisdom and think I will opt for this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-asus-radeon-hd-7850-directcu-ii-4840mhz-ddr5-870mhz-dvi-i-hdmi-2-x-mini-display-port which seems to be the same as the Sapphire but as several of my components are Asus, it just makes a tad more sense :)

Also, in the long term it should be easier to find a second card to Xfire than with a 6950. As it comes in at under by benchmark price it's also definitely worth the £20 over a 560Ti as well. Not to mention the PSU demand and the extra (albeit unnecessary) VRAM to boot, that's great guys!

sunnk

Distinguished

well they both are same whether you get sapphire one or asus one i always choose asus for my mobo and some times for gpu but mostly i choose sapphire i didnt have any problem with that card well goodluck for your purchase asus dc ii is one of the best hd 7850 brand in market now so good luck.:)(i dont like dominoz because pizza hut and mc donalds do pretty well job then that sells delecious and worthy foods which makes customers happy.:)

sunnk

Distinguished
(btw dominoz home delivery is nice they took about only 30 min or under that.:)no dominoz pizza is best but taxes leave it i like mc donalds best one just the fact is that they dont make pizzas but i like there burgers)

agreed with greghome for warranty stickers one i clean my sapphire card easily.:)