Which is the best monitor?

G

Hello guys! I think the best monitor is Sony F520. But I want to know from you all if some flat monitor is better than this one and, evenutually, why. In particular I'm an hard gamer but a designer too, so I need the best one monitor on the Earth. No matter the weight or dimension, I just want the top notch. What do you think? (my video card is an Asus GeForcePro 64MB DDR, without digital port, but i can change video card if needed).

G

I'm looking for the best quality monitor, no matter if it is LCD or CRT.

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
man...u've got to choose...a CRT or LCD...both are entirely different...and comparing those two classes in quality is impossible...
its like if your question was...i want the best quality vehicle to drive around in....car? truck? bus? van?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well LCD is sharper, and one w/ great specs would be as good as a CRT. Also, they are less strenuous for teh eyes, meaning you can sit in front of comp longer.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
What proof do you have that LCD's are less stressful on the eyes. Any study you can point us to or is this just your opinion?

Also I would argue that CRT’s are sharper do to the tighter dot/pixel pitch.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I find LCD's to be sharper. As for the eye thing, they don't refresh, and when I turn on an LCD, it doesn't illuminate my entire room like CRT, hence less excess light. I find that for my eyes, I can stare at an LCD all day and not feel anythin...where as CRT my eyes feel wierd.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
So this is your opinion not based on any scientific fact or study. I find CRT’s sharper, I use a variety of monitors every day, both LCD and CRT. For sharpness, give me a CRT monitor any day.

LCD’s on average are twice as bright as an equivalent CRT, so I do not understand your point on excess light.

I also can use my 21” CRT monitor all day without any problems, so what does that prove? Maybe it is simply that you have never used a good CRT monitor or simply that everyone’s eyes are different.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Most CRT monitors have the capability of refreshing at 85Hz+ at their optimal resolution. The VESA committee has adopted 85Hz as the standard refresh rate. It is also noted in at least two books (Visual Stress by Arnold Wilkins at Oxford) and (Handbook of Display Technology by Dr. Joseph Castelleno). I do not see an issue with refresh rates as long as the user runs 85Hz +.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

G

While it would be difficult to design a study quantifying 'eyestrain' it would likely drive a few customers into the arms of LCD makers.

Certainly most LCD users report less fatigue as a significant portion of their experience. I don't think gosharks can deny that a cathode ray gun shooting in your face while it redraws an image sixty times a second is more interpretive 'work' for your central nervous system than passively observing a static (albeit backlit) image.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
KeeWee
I would believe you if you can point me to some data to back up your point.

Also CRT monitors use leaded glass. There are also no known studies that I now of that say there is any affect at all. If you are concerned you should read the following article written by IBM.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/healthycomputing/vdt14.html

I’m simply trying to prove a point. Many people make claims in these forums without any scientific background to back up their statements. Also don’t believe everything you read on the Internet, you may be talking to a 14 year old high school student. No offence Flame.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by GoSharks on 01/08/02 04:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

GoSharks said

"I’m simply trying to prove a point. Many people make claims in these forums without any scientific background to back up their statements."

Yes, I get this part. And my point was that surely you ca see from a scientific perspective that the brain is required to do more work in interpreting an image that is being flashed 60+ times per second than one which is essentially static. Work = fatigue at some point.

Any maybe old eyes aren't as irritable as young eyes because they're just old and dull after watching so much CRT .. :) Most of our other senses dull too - how depressing. Youth is wasted on the young!

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I simply do not agree. Images are put on the screen at 85+ Hz, making the image appear to be static I.E. no flicker. I find it interesting that people can watch movies or television for hours without a problem and the refresh rates are much lower than 85Hz. Also you could make an argument that fluorescent lamps flickering at 60Hz would have the same affect.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
My bad! Sorry I ment 120Hz.
Older iron ballast fluorescent lamps operating from a 60Hz AC outlet will extinguish twice every cycle as the sinewave pass through zero producing a 120Hz flicker. To help reduce the flicker, new electronic ballast’s (basically switching power supply) with an integrated inverter/switcher operate the tubes at a higher frequency, reducing the 120 Hz flicker associated with iron ballast systems. On the down side, (there is always a trade off) a standard fluorescent lamp produces radio frequencies and harmonics, and the new ones with electronic ballast’s produce more of this kind of EMF than the older iron ballast’s.

Your flicker may be an indication of poor or failing backlight or an inverter problem. In either case the unit may need to be replaced, I hope its something else. Also remember that even the best products sometimes don’t perform as advertised.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well, I called up Compaq, and they said what I am experiencing should not be. So, they gonna send a new LCD w/ a technician this time (hells yeah! Don't need to deal w/ UPS!!!!:)), and he's gonna check everything out. The tech guy was gonna send me a new backlight, but they don't have it separatly for the TFT7020. I know u said u use a 21" CRT, but what YOUR personal opinion of LCD? I love mine....just that it's too bright (on my OLD CRT, I had it set to min) is there any way to this on an LCD?

G

OK GoSharks, try this link http://www.youreyesite.com/eyestrain-4.htm
- it points out the difference between just a flickering light source and actually trying to focus on it. I would argue that people get eyestrain from TV as well, perhaps to a lesser extent since they sit further away and don't attempt to define the same level of detail from the screen.

Askitis

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2001
keewee,
You are absolutely correct and there should be no doubt in your mind about that.

Before you waste any more energy and time, please try to understand that GoShrarks has direct involvement in the CRT industry. He cannot, should not and will not let it down by no means. It is evident he is not an objective source to argue on this issue and as a matter of fact he would be a fool to saw the branch he is sitting on by putting down CRT technology.

He is prepared to carry that argument to the end, contriving enough smoke and mirrors to subtly distort bits and pieces of the publics common sense so as to condition people's minds to an alternate reality most confortable to the long term economics of his company.

This is flat out "Politics 101" (are you surprised?)

Much in the same way the Tabaco industry has been trying to convince us there is little scientific evidence that cigarettes are actually bad for your health.

G

I must thanks you all for your point of view. It's very interesting, and no doubt that GoSharks could not be so objective, but if a not so recent CRT monitor like Sony F520 still costs $1500 (almost the double of any other 21" monitor, but it is again the best CRT) I think there will be a reason. Moreover the most part of CAD and architecture offices have again the CRT monitors.
However someone can say if some LCD monitor monitor is better than Sony F520, and why? And just a curiosity: on LCD monitors when you have a fast images scrolling you see all the motion correctly or it's like the old notebook? In other words LCD monitors are very good also for an hard player (I'm not one of them, but I like to play sometimes...)?

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Askitis

Political, No this is technology not politics. Debunking rumors and stereotypes yes! I base my opinion on sixteen plus years in the industry and this is a subject I pay close attention to. Also we carry LCD monitors as well as CRT’s so from a business point of view it makes no difference to me.

I do not hide behind aliases, I have nothing to hide and in fact I want everyone to know that yes I’m biased. I wonder how many representatives from other companies troll these forums preaching their agenda. Maybe you perhaps? We will never know until everyone stops hiding behind aliases.

I do not hide behind smoke and mirrors nor do I need to, I try when ever possible to site my references as opposed to all those who simply throw out opinions and judge people without knowing the facts.

I appreciate the link keewee sent from the optometrist. I add this to my knowledge base. Again with any article you must consider the source. The optometrist is trying to sell you glasses. BTW here is another site that talks about eyestrain.

http://www.drergo.com/

I’m not arguing that flicker causes eyestrain, that is a known fact. However rarely is a single issue the complete reason for eyestrain and this article talk about two others, brightness and ambient lighting and glare. From my experience these can have as much of an impact as flicker. Poorly designed workstations, uncalibrated equipment and low resolution, and the failure to take periodic breaks are a few others that can cause eyestrain.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
That article (keewee's) stated that after a long time on front of monitor, one gets a "temporary/false" nearsightedness. How can one make this go away? I don't experience this, well, actually twice in the summer I spent about 8 hours in front of CRT nonstop, and when I went outside couldn't see anything..it was all blury. But aftr a few mins, my vision was back to normal 20/20. Odd.