ASUS HD 6850 best for under £100?

vijatoffee

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I'm in the process of building a new budget gaming system, currently i'm running with a Zotac 9500gt 1gb that I had spare from a build a few years ago. Any ways, pay day has come around so i was looking for an upgrade, I was browsing on CCL and came across http://www.cclonline.com/product/72775/EAH6850-DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2/Graphics-Cards/Asus-EAH6850-DC/2DIS/1GD5-Radeon-HD-6850-Graphics-Card-1024MB/VGA0482/ which after some research looked pretty good bang for buck. Basically I'm looking for nothing more expensive than £100 including shipping. I'm going to want to be able to run games like Battlefield 3, Diablo 2, Guild Wars 2 on high settings at good FPS. So I was wondering whether anyone had any advances over the 6850 (I'm in the UK so no newegg i'm afraid :p)
The rest of my rig if needed is as follows (gathered for around £200):
NZXT Source 210 Elite White Gaming Chassis
XFX PRO550W PSU Core Edition PSU
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 (2 x 4GB) 8GB Ram
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Quad Core CPU
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO Motherboard

Many Thanks as always guys :) Sam

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
yeah it's probably your best bet, and it should be able to run most games at high, although BF3 you'd probably have to dip it down to medium. By good FPS, some people mean 60+, some 30-60, some think 20 is good. You should be able to get 30-60 with a 6850 on high if you're lucky. That said you might want to OC your CPU a little, my old phenom could sit stable at 4.0 on stock cooling so try for 3.7/3.8 to keep it cool.

vijatoffee

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself, I was thinking about overclocking my CPU, but thought I'd have to get my hands on an aftermarket cooler before hand, although the stock cooler that they provide means that my cpu is currently idling at around 27 degrees, only slightly above ambient temps. I haven't really stressed the system for the time i've had it, but the case provides plenty of cooling, So is overclocking on the stock cooler safe? If so, could you point me towards a tutorial or guide, as this would be my first time overclocking a cpu.

as33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
i gotta recommend a I3 sandy instead of the phenom i love amd and all but as time goes by and more testing is done the I3 shows it self in better and better light for gaming on a budget even the pentium G's on a sandy bridge architecture prove better at gaming then the AMD counterparts (its just a recommendation if u prefer AMD that's ok too) ...

on the real question at hand tho the GPU is spot on perfect for your budget/build ... GL and enjoy ur PC what ever u chose to go with :hello:

vijatoffee

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for your recommendation, but for the CPU and everything else I've already purchased that stuff, I decided to go with the Phenom as with its overclocking capability and the fact that it is a true quad core, that as an all rounder, it could challenge the i3. Thanks :)

as33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
vijatoffee :Thanks for your recommendation, but for the CPU and everything else I've already purchased that stuff, I decided to go with the Phenom as with its overclocking capability and the fact that it is a true quad core, that as an all rounder, it could challenge the i3. Thanks :)

uh oh didn't realize u already had the otter stuff sorry must be that language barrier i've been hearing about :kaola: :pt1cable: like i have said the GPU is spot on so enjoy ur build :)