Looking for a new monitor. Could use some help.

Nuke

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
Right now am in the process of looking for a new monitor. I wish to buy one that is a true flat screen 19". I really need something that is good for your eyes since I have lots of problems with that. I was looking around and have picked out the NEC MultiSync FP950. Right now thats at the top of my list since I have heard that NEC monitors are very good. Just wondering if anyone else here has it? Also what are your thoughts on it and what other monitors would you people recommend?

I also heard good things about Viewsonic monitors.

Thanks in advance

Nuke

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
Also could someone tell me the pro's and con's of shadowmask tecnology.......am not too familiar with this.

G

I'm not too familiar with shadowmash technology either but here is what I know.
Shadow mask does make your picture darker but it supposively gives a more detailed or a better picture. It also gets rid of the lines at the top and bottom of the screen in other monitors. Someone please correct me if I am wronge!

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Shadow mask *usually* have a *slight* advantage over AGs (Apperture Grill sp?) in text readability, but less vibrant colors. Anyway, the quality of the monitor is what really matters, and although AGs are traditionaly slightly better regarded than SMs in the consummer arena (perhaps due to Sony), the model itself is the main issue.

Now, focusing on your question, I've never had or tried a NEC CRT (just an incredible 22" plasma monitor for a few minutes, about 3 years ago ;)), so I can't comment on quality.

The best 19" I've ever seen is the LG Flatron 915 FT+. I have one and recomend it without doubt. Pity they don't make them any bigger (a 21" would be interesting).

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Arbee on 07/27/01 12:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
If you're worried about your eyes get an LCD. There is no refreshing, no excess light, and a whole lot of other goodies making it better for your eyes. Eye strain is reduced considerably, and the impact upon your eyes is the same as reading a book.

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
While LCD are generally better for our poor tired eyes than CRT, they still can't match paper. Just try to look at a LCD display from the side and compare to a sheet of white paper....

Another issue that no monitor can address is the computer user behaviour - one of the main reasons our eyes hurt is due to lack of lubrification - when staring at a computer screen (CRT or LCD) we are looking at a light emiter, and also with a fixed focus on one area - and we blink our eyes less often (hence the lack of lubrification).
The solution? - "easy" - take short regular breaks when using a computer.

Now that LCD prices are taking a nosedive, there is only one reason I don't advise them for general home use - the fixed resolution makes them less interesting for games.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah, but 15" LCD's are nice, and playing at 1024x768 should be a problem for video cards, and the screen size is big (imo it';s big anyway, I have used a 15" crt for the last 3 years).

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Yes they are nice, but lack flexibility - specially to lower the resolution (without hurting screen size). As an example, to run Max Payne @ 1024x768 with a decent framerate I *think* you'd need some interesting hardware. On a CRT you'd just lower the resolution down to 800x600 or even 640x480 (aaaargh!!).

G

You should be able to run it without a problem, I play it at that resolution with a duron at 950 and a 32 meg radeon.

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
You have "interesting" hardware - as I don't have your setup nor Max Payne I can't be sure, but I think you can run @ 1024x768 with full details enabled without any slowdown.

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
From what I've seen, no LCD can match the image-quality of a <i>good</i> CRT monitor.

For less eyestrain, you want a CRT monitor with a high refresh rate (the number of times the screen is redrawn per second). The higher the refresh rate the less screen flicker you get. IMHO, 85Hz is sufficient to avoid eyestrain, but higher rates are even better if you plan to spend a long time in front of the screen.

I use a Samsung Syncmaster 900 NF (85Hz) and really like it. It's an Aperature Grill (AG) monitor, so it takes a while before your brain learns to ignore the visable damper wires.

For sure, go to some local stores and view various monitors of both the AG and Shadow Mask variety. They both have their pros and cons, but you and only you can determine which are more/less important to you.