Troubles with Viewsonic PF790 19"

FUNCTOR

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
About a month and a half ago, I purchased a viewsonic PF790 19" monitor. It came with very high praise from virtually everyone (including this community).

When it came in, the box was soiled in this mystery oil, but the monitor was untouched by it, so I figured I would try it out. It seemed fine for a couple days, but then I noticed about 20 or so vertical grey lines in addition to the 2 horizontal ones which are supposed to be there. So, I figured I paid $750 (Canadian) for a monitor, it better be perfect! So I sent it back.

The distributor I was dealling with wasn't exactly cooperative also. it took them about 4 weeks to send me a new monitor. When I finally did get it, I checked it over very carefully, and noticed what looked like something stuck on the glass. I tried to get it off, so I took a closer look, and it looks like a tiny black spec on the inside of the glass (clearly infront of the screen). I figured this was no big deal, and that I could live with it.

Then yesterday, while going about my business, I noticed an icon in my system tray that was supposed to have red in it. Instead it had this really crappy lookin rust colour. So I set teh backgroud colour to red, and sure enough, in the bottom right corner, the screen was turning yellow on a solid red screen. I was not impressed.

Now I'm faced with a decission. Do I send it back, and wait again for another PF790? Do I ask for my money back, and buy a PF790 somewhere else? Or do I get my money back, and buy a different 19" monitor?

I would really appreciate your comments on this situation, and your advice. Thanks!

All things must surely have to end...
Functor

G

Hey functor, I feel bad because I recommended it to you. I have had nothing but good things to say about mine. Still continue to have zero problems. Perhaps sending something off to ViewSonic themselves about it? They have very good tech. support and might be able to take care of it instead of the distributer. Send them an E-mail off their website. I'm sure things will work out. Keep us updated.
DSandman

G

i bought mine for $595Cdn+tax and there'll be a $50US rebate... so that's around $610Cdn for a 19' flat screen monitor and i'm very happy for this deal
so far i only have good things to say abt this monitor, and i feel sorry to hear your case... do u live in the toronto area? if yes maybe u should get it back then i'll tell u how to get another one for $610

FUNCTOR

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not from Toronto, I'm in Sault Ste Marie, ON. But I'll be in Toronto this weekend. Got any tips?

Functor

G

u can check out their locations here:
http://www.promaxsystem.com/contact.htm
they dun post their prices on the web, so go email them abt pricing and the rebate thing. i think rebates will end in march 31st
and u know the size of a 19' monitor... haha so dun pack too much stuff for your toronto trip, have fun~ =D

FUNCTOR

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well viewsonic has redeemed themselves! Their thech support was able to tell me what to do to fix the problem. They figure it got shipped with the incorrect default settings. All I had to do was adjust the "Purity" in the OSD to compensate for the colourful corners and it worked. I had no idea what that setting (or pretty much any others) did. There's still that dot on the screen, but I think I can live with that. Thanks for you help!

Functor

G

Duh !! I completely forgot to mention the "purity" control to you! I had to use it to take care of one corner of my screen. I'm glad thats all it was.
DSandman