HD 6850 £95

http://www.ebuyer.com/321991-powercolor-hd-6850-1gb-gddr5-pci-e-graphics-card-axp6850-1gbd5-dh

was going purchase this for my new gaming budget system.

I have about £150 to play with for a graphic card but this looks like the best bang for the buck? unless anyone can recommend anything else?
31 answers Last reply
More about 6850
  1. that's a good card but if you have money you can get a better card.this is a good one -
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-xfx-hd-6870-4200mhz-gddr5-gpu-900mhz-1120-cores-eyefinity-hdmi-2x-mini-displayport-2x-dvi-i
  2. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

i have been using that as a guide as to what to get, it doesnt seem much better for £40 more?
  3. you are right.you may wait for HD 7000 series.
  4. right i have decided to keep my q6600 8gb ram system and just upgrade the gpu.

my choices are as follows, whats the best one to take?

PowerColor HD 6850 1GB - £98

PowerColor HD 6870 1GB - £123

Asus GTX 560 Ti Battlefield 3 Edition 1GB + BF3 DOWNLOAD!! - £190

PowerColor HD 6950 2GB - £198

I will be buying battlefield 3 one way so i was thinking the 560ti was the best buy/value? but im tempted to go for the 6850 as its cheap? :P
  5. or this forgot to link it

GeForce GTX 560 Ti 900MHz £180
  6. some quick help please , just away to buy tonight. thanks
  7. go with 6950 2GB.it's awesome and overclocks well.but if gtx 560ti @900 is for 180 then definitely the geforce!
  8. I'd go with the 560Ti as it trades blows with the HD6950 2GB, is cheaper and you get BF3. Unless you play at over 1920 x 1080 + you won't miss the extra VRAM the HD6950 has.
    The HD6850 is a great deal, just depends what games you play and what settings you want to use.
    Up to you man

:)
  9. Screen Resolution:1920 x 1200 is my monitor resolution, i only have a q6600 at the moment but im planning on upgrading to an I7 very shortly and i want to future proof as best as i can, im using a xfx 8800gts at the moment that i bought about 5 years ago for £350
  10. Ah right, well then if you want to max out BF3 with AA @ 1200P then you'd be better off with the HD6950's 2GB of VRAM.

Like I said before it depends if you want to max games out.

11. one final question... :)

i have been offered this for £500, would it be worth taking or should i stick to building my own? i think the parts in this alone are worth more than £500??

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-495uk Desktop PC
    Intel Core i7 (870) 2.93GHz Processor with 8MB L3 Cache and 2.5GT/s Bus Speed
    8192MB Memory
    2TB Hard Drive
    nVidia GeForce GTX 460 with 1GB Dedicated Graphics Memory
    Blu-ray Player/SuperMulti DVD Burner Optical Drive with LightScribe
    TV Tuner
    Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Wireless keyboard and mouse
    1 year, pick-up and return
  12. I work it out to be just under £500 worth of PC bits if you were buying new, but that doesnt include a PSU or motherboard (not in your list)

Not a bad buy, but quite old tech, I'd personally opt for building my own around a 2500K system.

13. yeh i think the fun factor of building my own setup and seeing it working will be more fun also :) struggling to find cheap "nice" looking cases :)
  14. If your motherboard supports crossfire and you have a good enough PSU, go for two HD6850s. Very good performance for just under £200.
  15. infernox_01 said:
    If your motherboard supports crossfire and you have a good enough PSU, go for two HD6850s. Very good performance for just under £200.

However still VRAM limited at 1200P :(
  16. crober33 said:
    yeh i think the fun factor of building my own setup and seeing it working will be more fun also :) struggling to find cheap "nice" looking cases :)

I was having this problem too, but I found the zalman z9 plus to tick all the right boxes:
    - Looks good (though i guess this is subjective)
    - Has plenty of desirable features in a case
    - comes with four case fans, with capacity for 3 more (fans alone probably cost about £15...!)

This review website helped me decide whether I liked the features/how it looked: http://www.3dgameman.com/reviews/1211/zalman-z9-cases

It is £43.98 from www.novatech.co.uk, and delivery is free if you spend £50 or more (i bought an extra couple of case fans)

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/cases/cases/Zalman/Z9PLUS.html#utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

hope this helps! If you don't like this case though, check out that website for the other case reviews... so many reviews!
  17. Also, my thoughts on the graphics card situation:

If you get a hd6950, such as the msi twin frozr III 6950 , you can unlock it and overclock it reasonably easily to hd6970 (and gtx570) levels, with a spare bios to backup if the bios flash goes wrong.
    However, make sure you find a good guide if you feel like trying this. By the way, the msi twin frozr III is £209.98 from dabs.com at the moment.

If not this card, then the asus 560 ti directcu ii looks like a good, cheaper alternative that overclocks very well:
    http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=18
    http://www.ebuyer.com/254405-asus-gtx-560ti-directcu-ii-1gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-mini-hdmi-pci-e-engtx560-ti-dcii-2di-1gd5
  18. Just a Warning, don't bank on ANY HD6950's unlocking, even if other people have had success with the same model of HD6950... Its not a sure thing.

19. Rustyy117 said:
    Just a Warning, don't bank on ANY HD6950's unlocking, even if other people have had success with the same model of HD6950... Its not a sure thing.

I'm not really sure what to do to be honest considering the only reason I think the 6950 is worth ~£40 more than the 560 ti is the 'ability' to unlock to a 6970... Considering I'm new to overclocking and so on, should I just get a 560ti and overclock that (since it isnt too far behind an unlocked 6950 when oc'ed) instead of worrying about flashing bioses on the 6950?
  20. Medicteddy said:
    I'm not really sure what to do to be honest considering the only reason I think the 6950 is worth ~£40 more than the 560 ti is the 'ability' to unlock to a 6970... Considering I'm new to overclocking and so on, should I just get a 560ti and overclock that (since it isnt too far behind an unlocked 6950 when oc'ed) instead of worrying about flashing bioses on the 6950?

If it were my money I wouldn't gamble £40 on the chance of the HD6950 unlocking. From what I've heard the GTX560Ti overclocks well so that would be my choice (if I were gaming below 1080P).

21. Quote:
    the GTX560Ti overclocks well so that would be my choice (if I were gaming below 1080P)

I'll be gaming at 1920 x 1080...
  22. Well then I'd suggest you'd opt for a card with more VRAM, that's if you plan on playing the latest games with maximum settings.

Just depends on your preference for eye candy.

23. you don't need the extra vram at 1080p. even at 1600p you won't need more than 1 gb.
  24. the extra use won't have any gain in fps. It will just preload more things to the spare ram. You'd get the same fps and same performance.

its like windows loading things into ram and then delete stuff if you are running low. btw this is on 1600p driving 2x the pixels as 1080p.
  25. I wasn't referring to the FPS, I had 2 GTX570's in SLI pleaying BF3 maxed at 1080P and the frame rate was really good, around 60FPS, but BF3 used all the VRAM it could and after playing for awhile I noticed the game "lagging", it no longer felt smooth although the FPS was still good.
    If I hadn't of experienced it myself I would have totally agreed with you, however its really annoying and kills the gaming experience in my opinion.

There's plenty of other people who have experienced the same thing, anyway I'm not going to get into a debate about it as it'll go on forever

26. Rustyy117 said:

Had a look at that thread and it seems to confirm what i've read elsewhere - games will start to use more and more of the gpu's vram in the future, and so 2gb will be more desirable over 1gb, even at 1920 x 1080 resolution

I think i'm going to go with the msi twin frozr iii hd6950 2gb power edition, and attempt to unlock the hidden shaders (appears to be very high success rate with this card)

Is this a good choice? Bearing in mind that I may well want to use crossfire in a few years time...
  27. Usually in a few years time, you will just end up just buying a new card instead of crossfiring. Why not just wait a few months for the equivalent HD7000/GTX600 cards?
  28. infernox_01 said:
    Usually in a few years time, you will just end up just buying a new card instead of crossfiring. Why not just wait a few months for the equivalent HD7000/GTX600 cards?

because the reference cards always seem to be noisier than+ the non-reference versions... also, will the 7850 really be better than the 6950 is?
  29. The rumours are of similar performance but half the power usage. Power usage has a positive correlation with heat. At the very least it may bring prices down.
  30. I'd still go with GTX 560 Ti. It won't have lower performance than HD6950, even with 1 GB RAM. Plus, you get BF3 for free!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming HD Graphics