Your thoughts of THE best CRT available?

G

Just wanting to know your ultimate, in production, monitor, and why it is so good.

Bomber

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not sure if it is the best CRT ever, but the iiyama Vision Master Pro 410 certainly is one the best buys I've made. Great clarity, stability and wide of resolutions and refresh rates. Only complaint? I couldn't afford a 19" monitor!!

G

I have owned my Compaq P900 for six months now, and I have yet to find a flaw. It's a Sony tube inside (19", flat trinitron), but it is better than the Sony equivalent model because of changes Compaq have put into the packaging.

It has a fairly short neck, and that is helped by the two inputs being vertically mounted.

It copes with any resolution I want to do (I work in 1600x1200x85 and play in 1280x1024x100), is crisp, very bright and stable.

The menus are clear and easy to use, with every picture adjustment you could want. Even the price was great (360 UKP 6 months ago)!

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Iiyama makes great monitors. I find compaq monitors often cost about 150 more just for their name. An excellent 19 inch though is the KDS True Flat (TF) series. The lowest dot pitch on a 19 inch trinitron that I know of (.24) and you can get them at onvia.com for around 425. Refresh is awsome, always 98 or above- 100 on win me and win 2K, and the picture is very impresive. The 17 tf's are good too, but there's more competition there. 19 KDS TFs are worth while.

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Viewsonic PF 790, purchased it for about 500 and the image quality is awesome plus games seem to have a real increase in color and lighting. I would reccomend it but it is on the pricey side of 19 inchers.

G

I like Viewsonic P815, but I think my best choice will be Viewsonic PF815 (for approx $500 through Ebay).
I had other Viewsonic monitors. I would say Viewsonic rocks, Sony is my second choice (cuz they are expensive, but almost the best in quality).

G

We have ViewSonic CRTs at work (models GS773 and E771), but they are so bad that almost the entire webteam is complaining about headaches. I now have the same monitor I use at home, which is an excellent 17" CRT: AcerView 79g. The 79g is part of Acer's Professional Series.

The 79g came out on top in this test:
http://www.maven.com/Maven/Monitors/RateList.htm

Flat Trinitron tube, high resolutions (1600*1200), great refresh rates (160Hz) and great sharpness.

-Apollo

darius

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I believe Sony to be one of the best monitors.
Just picked up a 21" Dell Ultra Scan P1110 with a Sony pure flat trinitron tube and it rocks!
You can get a refurbished one from Dell (1-800-372-3355) with 1 year warranty for bellow $650
Now thats a deal!

G

I've got an NEC MultiSync FE 1250, 22" (20" viewable)
It's a Trinitron "Totally Flat Aperture Grille" tube
that's capable of 1920 x 1440 @ 73 Hz (32bit color) with
a .25 apeture grille. 'Nuff said.

$1300 bucks Canadian (seen it for $1200 right after I
bought it--Doh!)

ViewSonic is good but your paying for the name. NEC
monitors are about the best there is. Period.

Btw, if someone is selling you a "Trinitron" monitor
BEWARE! ALL, (and I really mean ALL!) Trinitron monitors
have two faint grey lines running across the screen which
are barely noticeable. They're called "aperture grille wires" and are SUPPOSED to be there. If they are not there
then it is NOT a real Trinitron monitor and the person pitching his product is totally full of it. Sorry to anyone
who just recently bought a "Trinitron" monitor and aren't noticing these line right now...

Starhawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Samsung! Their high-end monitors are sweeter even than Viewsonic. The NF or IFT models - check their website - super flat, sharp, and high image quality. A friend of mine has a 19" and it is da bomb. I'm saving my pennies.

G

I believe Sony makes a 24" that's totally flat, downside is cost (>$2000) and depth. Phillips makes a great totaly flat 0.24 AG stripe pitch trinitron 21" model 2048 x 1536 Max res. 1600 x 1200 at 97Hz in enlightenment is truly a sight to behold. In addition to all the user settings, auto calibration, USB, blah, blah, the depth is only 18.3 inches! That's less than many 17" monitors! And guess what, U should be able to find one online for under $900!

More info is <A HREF="http://fwca4.pcstuff.philips.com/cgi-bin/bvempst/PCP/prod_detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=1764504049.974264114&BV_EngineID=galjgegflfdbemicngcgiecjh.0&oid=84392" target="_new">Here</A>

~flake

--
U want to really *know* Linux?
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/</A>

G

Sony Trinitron E- or G- series. I have been using 2 Sonys, one 14"(older model) since '94 and a 17" since '99. I've recommended Sony to all my friends, and I haven't heard a single complaint yet. Trinitron is also the clearest and longest lasting tube I've seen.

G

I use a Philips Brilliance 201P at work and have to say it is the best I've uses so far. I use it with a Matrox g450 running at 2048x1536 @ 73Hz. This is at the monitors max 320MHz pixel clock. The display is very crisp and the controls for the monitor are easy to use. IBM is pushing 200 dpi on it's displays so I think standard CRT displays will go away soon. 16.3" @ 2560 x 2048 is what they are saying here .. http://www.research.ibm.com/roentgen/

G

I would say the ViewSonic PF795 or Sony's G400 are the best 19" (Aperture Grill) and the Hitachi CM772 is the best 19" Shadow Mask.

For 21" look for the Mitsubishi 2040u.

Those who have been talking about the Iiyama and philips....why are you saying that's the best when you've obviously never seen anything else?

G

Sony Trinitron monitors are very good. The CRTs that Apple sells are probably some of the best monitors for graphics, the 21" one is awesome, but alot of $$$.

G

I would have to place my money on the Sony Trinitron APG monitors. Have had the chance to use them in the workplace many times and other monitors just don't compare.

G

Sony sells a 24" Trinitron Monitor. Can't quote the model, but I know it is a 24" CRT with aperture grille and an insanely low dot pitch.

Estimated Retail: $2499.00 US :0

Amish

Be careful among the English, you hear?

G

I forget which companies use which tube but there are only like 3 or 4 companies that make flat screen crt monitor tubes. So alot of the ones mentioned above are all the same, just with different packaging. Here is an old article from zdnet that touches on it.
http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2615831,00.html
From my experience sony, llyama, hyandai, viewsonic, and nec are all good monitors. None of them will really disappoint. The best thing you can do is go to a store and look at them and compare.

G

I bought a MAG 15 inch trinitron monitor, (1024 @ 100hz) and most of my friends couldn't tell the difference (size-wise) between it and many 17 inch monitors. MAG makes excellent Trinitron tubes, for fairly cheap: MAG's 810fd model is a 19inch, 19x14 @ 75 or 85hz (can't remember) and a Trinitron tube for only ~400$. And yes they are real trinitrons (I often wondered what the little grey lines were for). The only thing I don't understand is why no on ever publicizes MAG, which is a top-notch company, in my opinion.

KDS has really nice monitors, too, and a seemingly great warranty deal.

~Chris

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I agree about Mag monitors and Trinitron tubes. I still love my Mag DX-15T. A 15-incher that works best at 1024X768 @ 75Hz but can go to 1600X1024 in a pinch. (Tough on the eyes at that resolution and the flicker at 60Hz refresh is annoying but if you need it you got it).

G

While it's true that there are only a very few manufacturers of trinitron tubes, don't underestimate the importance of the so-called "packaging." The brand-name company (Compaq, NEC, etc.) provides all the electronics that drive the tube, and these componants are at least as important to picture quality as the tube itself.

About cheap monitors: The budget brands produce SOME really good monitors, but the quality tends to vary more than with the expensive brands. For some reason, monitors are famous for having variation. Two monitors of the exact same brand and model can have very different visual quality, and the the budget monitors seem to have lower standards on what makes it to market.

This leads to my main point... I would HIGHLY recomend that you view the exact monitor you are going to buy and insist that they sell you that very one, not just the same model--especially with budget brands. This of course means buying locally, but I've found that with the shipping charges on bigger monitors, the price difference between online and local retailer is little or nothing.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok then, ive just purchased the lacie electon22blue, the quality of this monitor is undelievable, it uses the 22" 20"visible tube form the mitsubishi diamondpro 2045 the new model of the 2040u anyway it handles 2048x1536 clearly and crisply at unbelievable refresh rates, ive checked out twenty thirty good monitors from brands like sony mitsubishi viewsonic and some others this monitor is amazing if its price is a little steep (way too much to pay for just a monitor for home use) the hood that comes with it is a great help, even if it doesnt look amazing with it on the glare reduction from both the hood and the anti glare coating, and the fact that the monitor is flat, i believe the question was which was the best CRT monitor? this is the best under 24" its unbelievable...

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
I like the Compaq MV940 19". Very nice looking monitor with excelent picture quality and the depth of a 17" monitor. A bit pricey though.....

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."

G

Well , I have two. For the money the Samsung 950 P is amazing. For not having a flat screen, it has a beatiful picture albeit a little bright. For a flat screen I have an IBM P96 with Trinitron. It's black and is super sharp, but will cost you about the same as the Sony. Cant complain about either. For 300 bucks, the Samsung is hard to beat- It's close to my Dell Trinitron at work which was 500.00. Just my 2 cents.

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I have a viewsonic PF790 and i'm pretty happy with mine :) hehe

the best manufacture, I'd have to say SONY. They're the absolute best in my opinion :)

sparks