Will a Intel® HD Graphics 3000 graphics card be sufficient to drive three monito

mlt72703

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
will a Intel® HD Graphics 3000 graphics card be sufficient to drive three monitors? processor is Intel® Core™ i5-2430M Processor 2.4GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.0GHz)

mlt72703

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

thanks for the prompt reply!!!...is there a card I can get to support three monitors? my specs are:

Intel® Core™ i5-2430M Processor 2.4GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.0GHz)
3MB Cache
8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM
Drives:
750GB (5400 RPM) SATA Hard Drive

This is in a Lenovo Laptop.

MLT

I'm assuming your laptop only has one vga output. You have multiple options: there are adapters through the vga or usb to hdmi, dvi, or vga and some that split it to multiple screens (you need to check if it just duplicates the screen or if it's gives independent monitors) and there are now a couple of usb monitors coming onto the market.

mlt72703

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Again, thanks k1114 for the time and reply. I actually have one vga and one hdmi on my laptop. I currently run two monitors and want to extend that to three. The laptop is new (lenovo) with plenty of ram and I think the processor is high enough speed as well. I want to use the hdmi for the third monitor but someone told me that the video card might not support it. Before I drop $250 for a third hdmi enabled monitor - I want to know the processor, video card and mother board will all handle it. If your prior answer to me that the vcard could only handle two was because you thought I only had to outputs, please advise e.g. now that you know I have vga and hdmi outputs - can the vcard drive three? I'd love to know. A friend said that sometimes you need a specific vcard if you are going to run three...he wasn't sure

Ram, cpu, motherboard and pretty much all the other info you give is completely irrelevant, it's all about if the video card can handle it. And sadly the integrated on the i5 can only output 2 signals. There is a workaround with the splitter I mentioned that splits a single signal to 2 monitors but you need to make sure its not a cloning splitter. But I think a usb to dvi/hdmi adapter would be simpler. You could try that 3rd hdmi monitor on the hdmi but I doubt it'll work, then you could still use it with a usb to hdmi adapter.

mlt72703

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Again - thanks for your prompt and detailed help...I'll shoot you a note back with results with what worked or didn't...

mlt72703

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Using a USB to HDMI converter allowed me to run the third monitor. Three monitors included; 1) laptop monitor; 2) external monitor #2 via VGA output; and 3) external monitor #3 from USB output>USB to HDMI converter to HDMI input on monitor #3. Used for work and data display - not gaming or hi-res graphics.