Sign in with
Your question

Best bet for under £100

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2011 12:20:17 PM

Hi,
Obviously wanting to play BF3 when it comes out, my graphics card atm won't even attempt to play the demo (2600 XT), I have a Dell XPS 420 (I know I shouldn't have got a Dell). Its got a Core2 Quad Core processor, 4GB RAM, and a "375 Watt PSU", though I'm told it may pass as a 500W.

I guess my question is can you recommend what graphics card will best play BF3 (Directx11?) for under £100 and can't be too power hungry!

Thanks
Fishy

More about : bet 100

a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 12:38:23 PM

I would recomend a HD5670

http://www.cclonline.com/product/54719/11168-30-20G/Gra...

It has DX11, very good performance for the price and is also very power efficient which is ideal for you and also doesn't require an external power connection. AMD recommend 400w but you might get away with 375w, but ideally your going to want to upgrade your PSU to a better quality one.

Though with this card and your budget don't expect to be able to play BF3 with anything higher then the lowest settings.

October 6, 2011 1:24:21 PM

Thanks gothems finest! I will consider this, though I remember reading somewhere that the Dell XPS420 though is rated as 375W, its actually more like 500W, I think ideally I would get a card that is the best my pc can handle so I can play on best possible graphics ;)  (still with less than £100 budget though!) btw I've got Vista 32 bit if that changes anything
Cheers
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 2:32:27 PM

There is very little performance difference between the 5670 and the 6670 a couple a FPS at best, the 6670 used to be more expensive then the 5670 which is why I didn't recommend it but if you can get the 6670 for the same price as the 5670 then its worth getting.

a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 3:37:55 PM

Dell's 375 PSU's have 30A on the 12v rail, any of those cards would work fine, as would a GTX 460 or an HD 6850.
October 6, 2011 3:43:12 PM

whichever u buy go with the ddr5 versions
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 3:54:29 PM

The HD 6770 or a HD 6790 looks like your best bet at that price range.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-xfx-hd-6790-pcie-21-(x16)-4200mhz-gddr5-gpu-840mhz-800-cores-2x-dvi-hdmi-displayport
It's about a few pounds more.
Although you can get a GTX 460 for about 20 pounds more.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 3:56:23 PM

Gothams Finest said:
Not with his power supply pal :non: 

Erm yes, the Dell 375W PSU is more reliable than the Corsair CX430 V2, which, can easily run a HD 6850 and even a HD 6870.

Which, I might add, consumes ~40W i.e 3.5A(Source : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/296?vs=290), and my power supply, which has 34A, is running my HD 6870(975/1175 @ 1200mV) and Phenom II @ 4.2Ghz - 1.425Vcore, fine, and his system will draw quite a bit less.

So yes.
It will work OP.

EDIT : OP, if you want to go refurbed, OcUK have the B Grade (3 Month Warranty) GTX 460 768Mb for £80, which is quite a chink faster than any of the other cards mentioned, even more so when overclocked Link : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG... I say you should go for it.
October 6, 2011 3:58:34 PM

id say at that price a 6770/5770 if you can stretch to it a 6850 would be even better
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 4:06:00 PM

yummerzzz said:
Erm yes, the Dell 375W PSU is more reliable than the Corsair CX430 V2, which, can easily run a HD 6850 and even a HD 6870.

Which, I might add, consumes ~40W i.e 3.5A(Source : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/296?vs=290), and my power supply, which has 34A, is running my HD 6870(975/1175 @ 1200mV) and Phenom II @ 4.2Ghz - 1.425Vcore, fine, and his system will draw quite a bit less.

So yes.
It will work OP.

EDIT : OP, if you want to go refurbed, OcUK have the B Grade (1 Year Warranty) GTX 460 768Mb for £80, which is quite a chink faster than any of the other cards mentioned, even more so when overclocked Link : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG... I say you should go for it.

You can risk your own parts on a generic PSU with your own money, but don't do it with the OP's :non: 

Fishya If you do go for a GTX 460 make sure you've got a fire extinguisher handy ;) 
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 4:07:54 PM

+1 to the GTX 460 that Yummerzzz linked to, I don't think you can beat that for the price.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 4:13:01 PM

And O.P don't listen to Batman, the GTX 460 recommends a PSU with 24A on the 12V rail, yours has 30, and Dell PSU's are known to be capable of exceeding there specs.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 4:15:44 PM

Gothams Finest said:
You can risk your own parts on a generic PSU with your own money, but don't do it with the OP's :non: 

Fishya If you do go for a GTX 460 make sure you've got a fire extinguisher handy ;) 

SO the XFX 450W Core Edition 80Plus BRONZE PSU(OEM Seasonic) is Generic?

And a Corsair CX430 V2 80plus with 28A on +12V are generic?

Please don't post if you don't know what you are talking about.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 4:18:51 PM

Fishya its easy for these people to recommend stuff when it isnt their own money they are spending/risking. Dont buy "B grade" parts from OCUK it could be unboxed, damaged, with missing parts or all of the above and your only get 2 weeks warranty

Lots of people have had problems with "B grade" parts from there. Your taking a risk but it yours money at end of the day.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 4:29:15 PM

yummerzzz said:
SO the XFX 450W Core Edition 80Plus BRONZE PSU(OEM Seasonic) is Generic?

And a Corsair CX430 V2 80plus with 28A on +12V are generic?

Please don't post if you don't know what you are talking about.

lol WOW that guy really doesn't know what hes talking about :p .

and about B-grade products, does gothems finest know that OCuk put those items under a one and half hours worth of intense testing, they NEVER put up items that have ANY sort of fault including heat damage etc.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 4:46:17 PM

Work for ocuk do ya?

Don't change the fact that lots of people have been sold faulty hardware from ocuk, how do you suppose that happens if they "NEVER put up items that have ANY sort of fault"
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 4:50:28 PM

Mostly from damage during shipping, though not to the actual GPU, maybe a broken box, not all the wires, maybe without a driver CD.

Not sure what your argument there is, all you have to do it go to OcUK to find out.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 5:16:27 PM

yummerzzz said:
Mostly from damage during shipping, though not to the actual GPU, maybe a broken box, not all the wires, maybe without a driver CD.

Not sure what your argument there is, all you have to do it go to OcUK to find out.

:lol:  How do you know that faults are "from damage during shipping" do you personally deliver each and every b grade item form ocuk? :sarcastic: 

Broken boxes, missing wires and cds do not count as faulty.

Lots of people receive faulty b-grade hardware from ocuk (as in the actual hardware does not work or in other words is broken). Ocuk state that after the 14 days are up its upto you to sort it out yourself.

So im not sure what your argument is, as you can't just "go to ocuK to find out" if its been 14 days.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 5:21:29 PM

"The warranty on B-Grade products is 90 days with Overclockers UK and any left over warranty is with the manufacturer."

Yes, I have ordered a B-Grade product.

Where are you getting this 14 days stuff from?
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 5:30:14 PM

I didn't ask if you had ordered a B grade product kiddo. ;) 

It used to be 14 days but 90 days aint much better.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 5:33:18 PM

~3 Months isn't better than 2 weeks?
Are you serious, or just trolling?

Also, B Grade isn't faulty.
Also, you should be feeling pretty bad now that everyone of your points have been proven wrong by a "Kiddo".
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 5:43:36 PM

I said 90 days aint much better then 14 days not "3 months isn't better then 2 weeks" so you haven't proven anything kiddo.

And B-grade does not mean faulty, but that does not mean there isn't a higher risk of B grade items being faulty so again you haven't proven anything, nice try though.

a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 5:49:58 PM

14 Days = 2 Weeks.
3 Months = ~90 days.

"Lots of people have had problems with "B grade" parts from there".
"Lots of people receive faulty b-grade hardware from ocuk".
"as in the actually hardware does not work or in other words is broken"
Hate to brake it to you but that pretty much is the definition of faulty.

Yes, actually, I did prove points.

EDIT : OP, not sure if it was you, but someone has bought the GTX 460,

October 6, 2011 5:59:12 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, come in very useful. Gothems finest thanks for the warning the cards may put a bit of strain on my computer but I'm not too bothered because if it breaks it gives me an excuse to replace the whole thing ;)  (not that atm I can afford to being a student).
http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-ati-radeon-6770-hd-850... Seems like quite a decent deal! Any problems you think guys?
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 6:01:02 PM

That's a pretty good deal, I'd grab it, and don't mind Gothems Finest.
He has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to PSU's.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 7:24:41 PM

fishya said:
Thanks for the help everyone, come in very useful. Gothems finest thanks for the warning the cards may put a bit of strain on my computer but I'm not too bothered because if it breaks it gives me an excuse to replace the whole thing ;)  (not that atm I can afford to being a student).
http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-ati-radeon-6770-hd-850... Seems like quite a decent deal! Any problems you think guys?

For the money it is good deal.

At the end of the day its your money and your computer, if you want it, then go for it :)  but be aware of the risk ;) 
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 7:30:06 PM

There is no risk here.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 8:32:06 PM

One warning. Personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. I have deleted all the irrelevant chatter generated also.

Disagreements and heated debate is fine and often productive. I encourage it. But when you resort to name calling and bickering you are only demonstrating your lack of actual knowledge.

Back up your assertions with links. I would very much like to dismantle all this myself as a service to the OP, but you two should do so yourselves.

Do the work, get the facts, and present them. Name calling and bickering is not a substitute. When you volunteer to help on these threads it sometimes requires extensive research.

OK I'll provide one link.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 8:33:47 PM

Most of my posts are backed up with quotes or links from websites already linked in the thread.

Also, I'm sorry for all my OT posts.
October 17, 2011 5:11:21 PM

Just so you know, I ordered the XFX HD 5770. Will let you know how it is whenever it comes. Ordered it a week ago of Dabs which yeah had a good price, but its STILL "processing". Load of balls stated 3-5 days delivery!
October 18, 2011 3:45:37 PM

i think youll be happy with your choice i was playing at 1080p with a 5670 (just) aslong as you dont go crazy with the settings you'll be fine with that card :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2011 3:48:52 PM

Enjoy your new graphics card mate.
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2011 3:12:49 PM

thats a great choice, you'll be able to play many games on max settings, although some you may have to live with high settings instead of max/enthusiast .
October 24, 2011 11:53:40 PM

Yup. Cool got the graphics card last Thursday, installed it after a bit of trouble with CCC and previous bios, but all is well now. Obviously can't play BF3, but played Dirt3 which came with it which runs on full settings beautifully! (-MSAA) Chuffed (though outta cash!) Thanks everyone!
October 25, 2011 11:12:59 AM

fishya said:
Yup. Cool got the graphics card last Thursday, installed it after a bit of trouble with CCC and previous bios, but all is well now. Obviously can't play BF3, but played Dirt3 which came with it which runs on full settings beautifully! (-MSAA) Chuffed (though outta cash!) Thanks everyone!

glad youre happy with it :) 
!