Closed

Upgrading GTS 240, around £90 Budget

Im planning on upgrading my GPU for my Dell 8100 and im not sure on which one to choose that will work. Im looking for a Gaming Graphics Card.

System Specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Hardrive: 1 TB
Current GPU: GeForce GT 240
PSU: 350w (I Think)

and these are GPU's i looked at:

GTX 275
GTX 450

Over Budget:

GTX 460

Any help on choosing a good GPU for Upcoming Games (BF3, MW3, AC Revelation etc.) :)
124 answers Last reply
More about upgrading gts 240 budget
  1. If i were you id save up the extra and get a gtx460 or HD 6850 at the very least. One problem I see here is the 350w PSU, that is not enough to even run a gtx450 and certainly not enough to power a gtx275. Your probably right on the limit of your PSU's power capability with your current setup. Are you SURE you have a 350w PSU? Can you open up the case and read us the specs? 12V specs are important.
  2. I've been on other forums that talk about Upgrading GPU for the Dell 8100 and a lot of them say 350w PSU
  3. I'll think about what you said about gtx 460. I might aswell save up for it.
  4. techno20 said:
    I've been on other forums that talk about Upgrading GPU for the Dell 8100 and a lot of them say 350w PSU

350W is not enough for a modern high or middle end card. They loooooove electricityyyyyyy. :love: You should have at least 500w, and a stable single 12V rail. Preferably have an 80+ certified.
    GTX 460 would be a good choice.
  5. so your saying I have to buy a New Power Supply aswell...? :(
  6. if you want to run a better vid card, then yes, you will need a better power supply, even for a gts 450.
  7. I was told by someone called 'malmantel' that "gtx 450 is your safest" (my safest bet*). and he also said that the Dell 8100 Power Supply is like a 400-450w.
  8. yeah here it is, this is what he 'Malmental' said:

"Just to set things straight.
    A Dell 350watt psu is more like a 400-425watt psu from almost anybody else.
    The rating system on Dell's is a little different the 'most' others.
    You do not have to change your psu unless you really want to of course.
    Dell + Intel= nVidia in most factory set-ups for a reason but I won't get into that.....

DirectX 11 nVidia options on 350watt Dell psu (higher end) - GTS450 is your safest bet."

and so thought about 450 but i wasn't sure if it will be good for upcoming games...
  9. Only way to know for sure then is to open the case i think. 450W will be just enough if it's a good brand PSU. ( not for the 460 though )
  10. GTX 450 will not be great for gaming modern games.
  11. ok, i'll check the case. But if it is 450watt should i go for GTS 450?
  12. techno20 said:
    ok, i'll check the case. But if it is 450watt should i go for GTS 450?

Probably useless to open the case, now i have read what malmental said, it probably will be a 350 and i don't know about Dell 350W is 425W in real live. Malmental is probably right i think, he normally knows what he says.
    But still i would save some extra cash to first buy a good PSU and after that buy a good GPU, otherwise you will always be stuck with low profile GPU's and not be able to play games at satisfying levels.
  13. Yh...Thanks for the Help though I apreciate it :)
  14. No, open up the case, the dell 305W PSU has 18A on the +142V Rail, and the GTX 460 is quite a power hungry card, we need to be sure how much AMPs are on that power supply.

Also, get a HD 5770 instead of a GTS 450, it performs better, and uses less power.
  15. to be honest you will need to save your money for now,, you WILL need a more powerful power supply as the factory 350 will not be handle much more than what the base computer came with.

a 240GT is a pretty good card in its range and you will need to go up to a 460 to really notice a difference/make it worthwhile to spend any money.

you may just be best off for now with lower resolution and/or lower graphics settings until you have a bigger budget,, if you cheap out, you won't like the results
  16. yummerzzz said:
    No, open up the case, the dell 305W PSU has 18A on the +142V Rail, and the GTX 460 is quite a power hungry card, we need to be sure how much AMPs are on that power supply.

Also, get a HD 5770 instead of a GTS 450, it performs better, and uses less power.

thats a good call, 5770 or 6770, faster and uses less power. but you will want to upgrade the PSU either way i think.
  17. yummerzzz said:
    No, open up the case, the dell 305W PSU has 18A on the +142V Rail, and the GTX 460 is quite a power hungry card, we need to be sure how much AMPs are on that power supply.

HD 5770 requires 450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode)

Will it work?
  18. yummerzzz said:

ill check the AMPS on the PSU
  19. Don't think so. If Malmental is right the psu is 425W max, the card wants at least 450W, so . . .
  20. But why "if" when it would take less than 5 minutes to check?

Dell does underrate their PSU's, but just to make sure.
  21. to upgrade an 240GT with that budget is damn near impossible is what I'm trying to say though,, anything that will be fast enough to actually matter will need a better power supply and anything fast enough to actually matter will cost you at least another 50.00,,, like a 460GTX or better,, a 450 is definitely an upgrade? yes. is a 450 speed increase noticeable? yes. Is a 450 so much faster than a 240 that I'm really going to love it and like the fact i upgraded? possibly not - leaning more to no.

so with both points above,, you are looking at a 200 dollar upgrade with power supply,, as stock PC power supplies, no matter which big brand sells em, does not cover much more than what they ship with.
  22. so your saying i should upgrade my PSU aswell
  23. ok...I have looked at some PSU's on Amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=PSU&x=0&y=0

could you tell me which one is good and cheap
  24. please let me know which one I should choose or should I choose any?
  25. personally I use a 550 OCZ fata1ity (i know,, but it's decent),, i built my father in laws PC with an antec and i like the build quality a bit more,, anything typically 500-600 watts should be good,, 2x 6 pin pci express connectors will be required. Get something with a bronze rating at least
  26. i can't find any other 2 x 6pin pci express.
  27. ok Im planning to buy these two:

PSU: CiT 600W Power Supply Unit with PSU and Dual 12V Rails - Black Edition

link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-600W-Power-Supply-Rails/dp/B002Q8HFD4/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1314802319&sr=1-16

GPU: Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics Card 768MB PCI-E VGA/DVI/HDMI

link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gainward-NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics-768MB/dp/B003VJOFA8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1314800919&sr=8-16

(or should i get the 1gb one?)

please let me know if theres any other better ones
  28. ^^those suggestions good,, I don't know the bequiet brand as im in Canada,, but it should do the trick,, also the 460 is a nice card,, but like I said before,, you are going to be spending much more than you 90.00 budget,, just get the PSU now and get the card later (it may even drop in price in next month or so while you save money)
  29. I doubt the price will drop, so you should grab one while you can, but it really depends if your budget allows it, if not, get the PSU now, if so, grab both.
  30. techno20 said:
    ok Im planning to buy these two:

PSU: CiT 600W Power Supply Unit with PSU and Dual 12V Rails - Black Edition

link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-600W-Power-Supply-Rails/dp/B002Q8HFD4/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1314802319&sr=1-16

GPU: Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Graphics Card 768MB PCI-E VGA/DVI/HDMI

link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gainward-NVIDIA-GeForce-Graphics-768MB/dp/B003VJOFA8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1314800919&sr=8-16

(or should i get the 1gb one?)

please let me know if theres any other better ones

dont touch that
    PSU with a 10 foot pole. Stick to either Antec, Crosair, Seasonic or XFX, they are the most reliable brands on the market and they actually output their advertised power rating, many cheap/no name psu's will not produce their rated power and outright lie on their packaging. do some reading about psu's. you dont want to end up with something like this http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Coolmax-CUL-750B-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/977/10. You need to ask yourself a question, do i want to learn the hard way? (like i did with a generic psu that blew up in smoke and destroyed my motherboard), or do i want a good psu that will last?
  31. PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

*$42.99 + S&H after promo code and MIR

GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121434

*$119.99 + S&H after MIR (Free Dungeon Seige 3 game)

Total - <$175 (including all S&H after MIR)

These would be my suggestions for a bare minimum upgrade to notice a reasonable difference in quality/performance.
  32. P.S. Dell's suck...
  33. sorry, bad math...$167.31 after MIR and promo code. 117.14euro, plus additional shipping. noted not the best psu as far as efficiency, but a trusted company with enough juice for your gpu. I run ASUS in my rig and its amazing quality. This should be just outside your 90euro budget, but maybe within a week or 2 you could easily save the rest. Best of luck...ill stop spamming the thread now.
  34. Im European to let you all know... and I'm British, which means that I wont be paying dollers to an american website, newegg for example. Im looking for components which I will find around London or a website which I would have to pay British Pounds (£) for example: Amazon.co.uk, pcworld etc. :)
  35. 460 > 550 ti in games. Psu as allready stated.
  36. really? will keep that in mind. thanks robjordy for that little tidbit.
  37. Quote:
    gonna have to read this from the beginning and post a response.
    didn't know so many people THOUGHT they new about Dell's...
    LOL - check signature..

Sorry Mal...got food poisoning from their product one time...never got over it. Still have that "funny" feeling in my stomach every time i hear that name. i guess they are..."alright". lol
  38. so...550 ti is better that 460???
  39. NO,,,, 460 is better than 550

400 series is older than the 500 series,, but overall no real difference in capabilities other than speed -- a 550 is faster than a 450 and a 560 is faster than a 460,,, but it is the second digit to pay attention to,, except at the higher end where a 570 is actually faster than a 480,,, but the 465, 470 & 480 were technologically flawed,, anything lower than that in the 400 series was optimized,,that's why the 460 was hailed as being so good.
  40. ^yes +1
  41. i say flawed due to amount of power draw and heat being way imporportionate to the output of graphical capabilities... a 460 1GB can outdo a 465 with less heat, power & noise.

that being said,, a 460 is like a katana, swift & accurate,, anything bigger like a claymore and bash the hell out of anything,, both do the job,,,, but all the newer models are corrected and have optimized power draw/heat/noise signatures for the amount of output.
  42. Monkey, did you even read the post? they said the 480 was comparible to the 570...they weren't even talking about the 460.

Mal, great website btw. i will be adding it to my favorites for product spec checks in the future! That 480 has some scary benchmark scores. Impressive!

I did some benchmark testing with my 560 paired with a 6950 (just for fun). I cant believe how bad that 6950 is! their is almost no difference at all! I will probably sli in the future, or switch over to 6870CF x2 if i hit the lottery. supposedly the "micro-stuttering" is better with those cards overall and run low wattage recquirements. If you have any input on micro-stuttering let me know.

P.S. sorry for going a little off topic, but i hate when people don't read what is posted and then feel the need to rant myself. Also, sorry if micro-stuttering isn't the correct term for what i am inquiring about.
  43. microstutter was unbearable in my former 6870 crossfire setup, absolutley pathetic imo I am now much happier with a single 560ti
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics Product