Sign in with
Your question
Closed

£300 ($485) to spend on a GPU, advice please!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2011 9:56:07 PM

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU within the next 2 weeks or so, and could do with some advice from you all. I'm looking to spend in the region of £300 ($485), an obviously want the best for my money. I'll be ordering from a UK based website, such as Overclockers, Scan, or Ebuyer, but an open to deals on other sites.

My current specs:

i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
9Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
GTX 275 896mb @ stock
OCZ vertex 2E 60gb gaming/boot drive
1Tb samsung HDD
Enermax galaxy 1kw
Antec 300

I'm pretty sure my system won't provide any bottlenecks with any card/s I can afford, and I'm sure my PSU is more than capable of running anything I can throw at it. My GTX 275 isn't letting me down as such, but I think now is a good time to upgrade and since its my birthday soon (and I'll have a bit of cash) I'm going to take the plunge.

I don't mind AMD or NVIDIA, or Crossfire or SLI suggestions - I am a consumer and will take the best option for me :)  I game at a resolution of 1600x1050, although this may increase to 1900x1200 within the next 6 months.

I was thinking either crossfired 6870's, or a GTX 570. But am open tio suggestions, what do you guys think? Also, is it worth paying a slight premium and getting cards with 3rd party heatsinks or overclocks (such as a MSI Hawk) or stick with the cheapest option? I'm willing to overclock any GPU I buy. My GTX 275 is 10.5 inches and fits ok, but I'd say that's about the limit. Also I'm not selling it, so please don't factor in sale prices.

Thanks!

May 25, 2011 6:43:48 PM

Any help guys? What about a pair of the new (non-TI) 560's?
!