Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

£300 ($485) to spend on a GPU, advice please!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 24, 2011 9:56:07 PM

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU within the next 2 weeks or so, and could do with some advice from you all. I'm looking to spend in the region of £300 ($485), an obviously want the best for my money. I'll be ordering from a UK based website, such as Overclockers, Scan, or Ebuyer, but an open to deals on other sites.

My current specs:

i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
9Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
GTX 275 896mb @ stock
OCZ vertex 2E 60gb gaming/boot drive
1Tb samsung HDD
Enermax galaxy 1kw
Antec 300

I'm pretty sure my system won't provide any bottlenecks with any card/s I can afford, and I'm sure my PSU is more than capable of running anything I can throw at it. My GTX 275 isn't letting me down as such, but I think now is a good time to upgrade and since its my birthday soon (and I'll have a bit of cash) I'm going to take the plunge.

I don't mind AMD or NVIDIA, or Crossfire or SLI suggestions - I am a consumer and will take the best option for me :)  I game at a resolution of 1600x1050, although this may increase to 1900x1200 within the next 6 months.

I was thinking either crossfired 6870's, or a GTX 570. But am open tio suggestions, what do you guys think? Also, is it worth paying a slight premium and getting cards with 3rd party heatsinks or overclocks (such as a MSI Hawk) or stick with the cheapest option? I'm willing to overclock any GPU I buy. My GTX 275 is 10.5 inches and fits ok, but I'd say that's about the limit. Also I'm not selling it, so please don't factor in sale prices.

Thanks!

More about : 300 485 spend gpu advice

May 25, 2011 6:43:48 PM

Any help guys? What about a pair of the new (non-TI) 560's?