OLED monitors... ¿When?

V01

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
I need to upgrade my monitor, but I could wait a little bit for one of those... unless they are only meant for millionaires.

Regards

Not soon, as Jaguar said. It sucks, because OLED is amazing, but for the next couple of years, expect to only see it in small devices such as the Zune HD and some phones. Larger screens are still a ways out.

(I love my Zune HD though - the OLED screens really do look incredible).

Future of OLED has just become a little dimmer....

Sony Pulls the Plug on OLED Production

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Industry_Trends/Sony/Sony_Pulls_the_Plug_on_OLED_Production/4251

Company blames lagging sales. Turns out people don’t want to pay $2,500 for an 11” screen.
Sony didn’t comment on OLED sales, but estimates from DisplaySearch put the number at around 2,000 worldwide.

It's implied that they will continue to do research though...

Also, this probably means there will be a fire sale to get rid of current stock that's just taking warehouse space. I figure maybe $1,500 for the 11" screen.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Seriously who would want to look at a 11" monitor. If it was more like 24" and cost around $5000 im sure someone would buy into it. But at 11" i don't care if it has twice the ridiculous color saturation and contrast it has already.

When the price of it drops down to $1000 for a 24", I would start looking into it. Right now it has no real market.