Sign in with
Your question

Affordable GPU (less than £50) in an old PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2010 7:29:58 PM

Hi all,

I have an older PC 2005 build (I think). An old Compaq Presario 1519UK.

PSU 300 Watts
Athlon XP 64 3200+ 2Ghz Venice (overclocked slightly to 2.2Ghz)

Mainboard - MSI Amethyst M 1.0 (Northbridge ATI RS480/ Southbridge SB400) Bios Phoenix Tech v.3.47
Memory: 1.5GBytes DDR3200 (200Mhz) Memory on two modules
Graphics: Integrated ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M showing 256Mbytes on ZPU-Z (I think from the Northbridge - not sure)

I'm no expert , and I'm way out of touch on the components of the day (although I'm reseraching as we speak)

What I need is recommendations on a Graphics Card upgrade on the PCI-E x16 1.0 slot on the MSI Amethyst board that can run decent games (not Crysis or anything like that but maybe Left 4 Dead or HL2: Epsiode 2 as atm it crawls along at 10 -12 fps (unplayable) etc, etc)

I can afford up to maybe £50 but if possible but without having to upgrade the PSU.

If you need any more info just ask and I'll try and find out.

Thank you in advance for any advise.

More about : affordable gpu

August 22, 2010 7:45:24 PM

Thank you for your reply, but I can't get the link to work.
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 22, 2010 7:54:14 PM

Odd, sorry about that, type in EVGA 512-P3-1242-LR in NewEgg.
August 22, 2010 9:50:09 PM

Thank you again.

Unfortunately, (being out of touch and a bit of a noob) I've just realised that Newegg.com is American based and don't ship out to other countries i.e. UK.

Any other suggestions, I've looked for the same here in the UK but i'm having no joy.

On the other hand the ASUS EAH4350 SILENT DI/512MD2(LP) Graphics adapter looks like it might suit my PSU and PCI-E slot, although it seems a bit underpowered for proper gaming. Then again so does my 5 year old PC lol.

Is the ASUS any good or are there any other suggestions.

Thanks Helltech, very much appreciated.

a c 153 U Graphics card
August 22, 2010 9:56:24 PM

ASUS is good, I would get somthing a little more powerful however, what website do you use to find parts? I can look at the website for you.
August 22, 2010 10:12:16 PM

Right I've got:

I think for GPU's overclock.co.uk is the cheapest atm.

*hope i've done the url's correctly.
August 22, 2010 10:12:33 PM

guess not
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:09:35 PM

Quote:
You do realize your on the USA forum, not the UK forum right? :heink: 

GT240 is an ok card, but will be severely hindered from it's full potential by that slow single core cpu, especially at low resolutions.

You do realize that the UK and US servers are mirrored so that anything posted on the US server will show up on the UK server and vice versa? [:mousemonkey]
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:35:20 PM

Quote:
Well if that's true it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Why is there a separate forum for each?

Why aren't the badges and points mirrored?

Why are the "hot questions and replies" completely different?

If I'm replying to USA and UK forum questions, why do I have separate points and badges for each?

Because some things are still borked and always have been, or had you never noticed?
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 2:43:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah I noticed. Just double checking my brain isn't borked. LOL

No it isn't, having a UK and US server is still a contentious issue I suppose which is why the management has not seen fit to kill one and keep the other but at least I can now kill spam on the UK only forums.
a b U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 3:40:01 PM

ebuyer is a good site i usually buy from. from ati theres a HD4650 and a HD5450 that would fit your price range.

from nvidia theres a gt220 and a gt240, they are pretty close to £50.

the best cards out of these would be the HD4650 and the GT240. If ur willing to pay slightly more there is this HD4670, performance is pretty similar to the gt240 tho.
August 23, 2010 7:56:42 PM

Hey y'all, many thanx for your advice , special thanks to helltech, thats one knowledgable geezer ;p.

I think I'm gonna opt for the original suggestion from helltech, then save up for a new PSU, Mobo, Memory and Processor.

I just need to persuade the missus that its a "viable family purchase" that will enhance our lives "quoting its got HDMI Blue ray capabilities, watch films and listen to music etc.etc".

Tank you again.

I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.
!