Closed

Best GPU for < £150

Any thoughts guys? Would like argument for each suggestion....

Can buy from all the usual

scan.co.uk
aria.co.uk
ebuyer.com

Any other good sites.....overclockers.co.uk ?

Can use Nvidia or ATI, running it on a Zotac H55 Mini ITX 1156 with a core i3 530 and 4gb G Skill DDR3 (may upgrade to 8gb soon). All booting from Western Digital SSD
23 answers Last reply
More about gpu 150
  1. A GTX 460 is what you want. I recommend you up your budget slightly for this version of the card;
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-093-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1830
  2. What happened to the thoughts of getting either a 460 or 465? And why didn't you just continue this in your other thread?
  3. Doing a second build. I'm buying a GT460 1gb for myself. My friend wants me to build him same rig....but budget isnt as big, so wants a cheaper GPU and cheaper case. Doesn't want a data drive either, so only be using a 64gb SSD. So overall should be around £150 cheaper than my build (i just included the 8gb RAM reference as hoped would get some general input on i3 530 vs RAM and if it could utilise this much effectively)
  4. lmartinefc said:
    Doing a second build. I'm buying a GT460 1gb for myself. My friend wants me to build him same rig....but budget isnt as big, so wants a cheaper GPU and cheaper case. Doesn't want a data drive either, so only be using a 64gb SSD. So overall should be around £150 cheaper than my build (i just included the 8gb RAM reference as hoped would get some general input on i3 530 vs RAM and if it could utilise this much effectively)

    Righteo, I just had to ask. ;)
  5. jyjjy said:
    A GTX 460 is what you want. I recommend you up your budget slightly for this version of the card;
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-093-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1830


    Agreed. GTX460 is your best bet.
  6. Guess i'll have to bend his ear and get him to dig a bit deeper. Was going to suggest to him maybe a 5770 or 5830...

    I used to have a 5770, pleasantly suprised for the money. But that was 6 months ago and things move so fast
  7. lmartinefc said:
    Guess i'll have to bend his ear and get him to dig a bit deeper. Was going to suggest to him maybe a 5770 or 5830...

    I used to have a 5770, pleasantly suprised for the money. But that was 6 months ago and things move so fast


    GTX460 came out in July;)
  8. The 5770 is fast enough and very good performance if you want more just add another and go match a 5870 in performance in crossfire for a bit extra money
    If you don't have a card yet the nivdia GTX460 is a good one too
    But if it is so much better then a 5770 i wonder except in benchmarks.
    It all depends which games you play or how you use your pc
  9. Where can i get some info on the architecture of the cards. Can't find out much. everyone just bangs on about ATI being Canadian, Nvidia are from California blah blah. I wan't info on the hardware and how they work. All I can see from specs is that ATI use alot more cores.
  10. lmartinefc said:
    Where can i get some info on the architecture of the cards. Can't find out much. everyone just bangs on about ATI being Canadian, Nvidia are from California blah blah. I wan't info on the hardware and how they work. All I can see from specs is that ATI use alot more cores.


    ATI uses superscalar architecture. They count each shader core as 5-way core, each one may execute 5 instrucitons at once, but if this isn't optimised (if the operation fails) then the GPU loses it's theoretic performance and loses on efficiency. Nvidia architecture is scalar and is 100% efficient.

    HD4870=160*5=800 shaders, HD5870=320*5=1600 shaders etc.
  11. Just got my Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 4000 / 800 Mhz. Seen the benchies, thing is on par or beats 5850 on most tests! Value for money @ £187

    When you get into higher res it really spanks the 5770 and comes into its own, so an extra £50 is worth it
  12. lmartinefc said:
    Just got my Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 4000 / 800 Mhz. Seen the benchies, thing is on par or beats 5850 on most tests! Value for money @ £187

    When you get into higher res it really spanks the 5770 and comes into its own, so an extra £50 is worth it


    +1 on getting the GTX460. Really great card for the money you give. Happy gaming;)
  13. Cheers.....just want to see how much better BFBC2 is going to look with all that lovely tesselation. 450w PSU should make it all more stable as well. Not to mention less stress....must have been pushing the arse off that 300w
  14. lmartinefc said:
    Cheers.....just want to see how much better BFBC2 is going to look with all that lovely tesselation. 450w PSU should make it all more stable as well. Not to mention less stress....must have been pushing the arse off that 300w


    That 450w PSU, from which manufacturer is it?
  15. It is a silverstone one. The 300w i was used was a tuned silverstone for gaming etc ro run stable. The new one is the only SFX on the market.

    Scan.co.uk

    Should run just as stable as the 300w I was using, just more overhead available
  16. Comes with single rail 8 / 6 pin connectors for multi GPU

    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/450W-Silverstone-Tech-Strider-PSU-SST-ST45SF-80plus-Bronze-EPS-12V-24-Pin-80mm-Fan

    The 300w was quoted to work with most cards (8800 etc)...but obviously the newer ones use more juice.

    I'm guessing at a push this 450w could SLI a couple of low end cards, or run a single beefy card.
  17. lmartinefc said:
    It is a silverstone one. The 300w i was used was a tuned silverstone for gaming etc ro run stable. The new one is the only SFX on the market.

    Scan.co.uk

    Should run just as stable as the 300w I was using, just more overhead available


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256063&Tpk=silverstone%20450w

    This one? Then it's OK.
  18. Yep thats the one. Meant to be very reliable, strong performer. Good investment, and means can keep it all in my little silverstone sg06

    http://www.cowcotland.com/images/news/2009/06/SG06B.jpg
  19. lmartinefc said:
    just want to see how much better BFBC2 is going to look with all that lovely tesselation.

    BC2 does not use tessellation actually. The only DX11 effect it uses is a filter to soften shadows along with some optimization. To see tessellation in action you will need to try AvP, Metro 2033 or Call of Pripyat.
  20. Scan.co.uk = complete joke. Paid the premium for next day with the psu, so a £250 order. Get an email at half 6 when they are closed so nobody to call "sorry order delayed" because a cable I ordered isn't in stock. Complete joke, they knew this before half 5 but like to avoid dealing with customers. Happened before and my order sat there for two weeks. Use some common sense!

    Is avp any good? Or stalker?
  21. I haven't played AvP but the Stalker games are good stuff IMO. FPS/RPG hybrid with a very unique and realistic feel to it.
  22. Got the card up and running. This thing is TINY! And very light. The Sonic Platinum does not use the reference design, it is a new PCB. About an inch shorter. Run's so quiet as I think it uses solid state power loops. No buzzing that you get from some cards under load. The fan is suprisingly powerful as well.
  23. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product