xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hi guys,

I want to use the Catalyst control center's AI tuner to overclock my Saphire Vapor X HD 4890.

I currently have 3 120mm fans in my case, which is a Coolermaster CM 690.

Will I need to add more fans? the 4890 idles around 59-60° C at the moment, and while playing Battlefield BF2, I get up to around 67-69°.

I know when you overclock a CPU they recommend an after market cooler, well let me know guys,

thank you

If you have managed your cables well, so they are not blocking your airflow, you may be good on the 3 fans, if it gets too hot add another. I have 4 120s (2 front intake (1 in front of the HDDs and 1 in the 5.25" bays), 1 rear exhaust, and 1 top rear exhaust) on my CM690 with two 4870s in xfire and they run in the 50 to 60C range in Borderlands and H.A.W.K.

acesarge

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

67-69c isn't bad. 80c is when you should start to worry(At least for the 5770s I am not 100% sure on the safe temps for your card but I am pretty sure it is the same)

xxenergyxx

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I've read that the 4890s and other 4000 series runs hot, much hotter than the 5000's series.

Like I said, I idle around 60 C, but I get around low 70's C when I'm 100% GPU load in for example, BattleField:Bad company 2.

Treefrog, I didn't even know you could put another 120mm fan in the front of the case (I know it has 1 there already, didnt know you could add another)

How are your cables?

I have mine runing behind my mobo tray, BUT i have a Corsair 750TX with THICK cables (non modular) and had HELL trying to close the DAMN side panel. After 5 hours running the cables throug that little hole by the PSU, my side panel wouldnt close!!! :(

I had to pull out some cables and run them through the front.....

But overall, its decent airflow....

It seems to be that I will add some case fans (there are 4 coolermaster 120mm fans for 17$ on newegg...) and just use the CCC autotuner to over clock.....

thanks guys for the help so far :)

Your GPU temps are OK, but add a front 120 case fan. I can't believe this, you have one of the most popular and mod-able cases available. Those are some of my pics, but there are hundreds of ideas and mods in that thread. Get a dremel tool and some cutting disks - you are about to have some fun and further reduce your temps. You can open up those wire mgnt holes, the CPU access hole, even add a window.

TRENDING THREADS