NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT120 what is this the same as?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, now we have to relearn them ...........................................................................................................................................................again

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007

Come on how hard is this going to be? honestly:p? Atleast they are keeping them in the 100s so ppl kno they aren't as strong as the 200s:) I mean why change a good thing? :) What do car companies do??? :D atleast this time ur not paying 15k + :D

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

At least the car companies give you a minor styling change like a different grill or different trim pieces. Nvidia just changes the name on the sticker and increases the price by $20.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
20$ to me is alot better off than 2000$ for grill and trimmed pieces:D (ok, cars are like 9800 GTX and 9800 GTX+) :) I'm mean I don't agree with it, but I mean if some1 was dumb enough to buy it, well good for the company taking advantage of an open opportunity (nice way of saying stupidity).

You don't need to be interested in something to do research before purchasing it:).

Who knows maybe they will clock them higher, or put a new cooler, but even if they didn't 20$ isn't the end of the world;).

It was funny when it was annouced, I laughed ....alot hhaha, and I still do when I hear it :p

Since I'm not one of the ppl that are affected by it, and I'm sure most of you guys aren't either, it shouldn't bother me.

Frankly I don't judge the company, I judge the product. If it were up to me I'd sell both ati cards, and Nvidia cards with out stickers on em, except for the power. Let the person by the product based on reviews, not company:)

But thats just me. I really hate it when ppl say, oh I'm not going with Nvidia because of their practices, or ATI just sucks....comments like those whether its pointed to any company just shows how much you just need to ignore the post:)

Now back to armored Core :D

wonderingwhatis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Cars to GFX cards is a horrible analogy lmao.

NVidia card name changes have always sucked, I think this is for the better.
The good thing about this is that it easily puts the cards in a performance line for the average consumer.

neo007

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
does anyone know how good this GT120 really is? i've seen a few things on the net saying that it is the next generation for the 9500GT but just here say. The guy i talked to at best buy from the geek squad said it ran better than his 8800GT and almost as good as running 2 8800gt's. Is the GT120 really that good? If not, how good is it and why?

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

That does not make him more credible, if anything it makes him less so. They will tell you anything to make you buy something. My friend bought a 7300gs from bestbuy over a HD2600XT at the same price elsewhere because the salesman from bestbuy told him that "turbocache makes it twice as fast". "Turbocache" is just marketing for a card that uses part of your system memory rather than it's own, it's actually slower than a card that uses dedicated memory.

I facepalmed hard, at least he came to me to install the thing rather than letting BB rip him off more.

No, it's the same as a 9500GT which is the same as a 8600GT. A 8600GT does not beat 2 8800GTs.

See above.

sjones72751

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

Might I recommend an ATI HD4850. Great card, great price. If you have to stick to Nvidia, the only one's to look at are 8800GT (budget), 9800GTX or GTX 260 (Midrange). GTX 280 (High end). I really do recommend the HD4850 (budget) or HD4870(Mid-High end). The ATI cards have slower memory performance, but i'm impressed that they have 800 stream processors.

car50

Distinguished
May 18, 2009

that is the best advice i have seen on video cards all year

Devilbound

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah hi I'm a newbie in here.

Now, that out of the way, I have the GT120 coming with the rig I just bought, and although it beats my old rigs X1900XT/512 (which was ultimate when I bought it, the summer it came out, ages ago it seems), I find it seriously lacking in processing power to run modern games properly (As a matter of fact, I think it even clocks below the X1900XT, even thou it has double the memory). And that's another thing: I'm no engineer, and I'm perplexed by what I see when perusing the info on GPU's: Seems to me the amount of mem on a card isn't as relevant by far anymore as it used to be? :??:

Yeah sorry for rambling, here's the point: I want to get a proper card, of the nVidia GeForce family, in the price-range of 150-200ish €'s. What would you folks here suggest I get? XFX GeForce GTS250 1GB, PCI-Express 2.0, I had my eye on that one after quickly rummaging through the cards. It's listed as costing 142.90€'s, which is pretty suitable for me. It seems to clock very okay to me, and has those 1gigs of mem as the GT120, which also pleases me.

Advice please?

Cheers, E.S/Devilbound

P.S: Sorry if it seems so, I've no intention of thread hi-jacking, just didn't want to start a new one as my question is largely along the lines of the OT.

I hate to break this to you but the GT120 is significantly inferior to your old X1900 XT.
If you insist on Nvidia the GTS250 is a good choice but in that price range I would think you could snag a GTX 260(216) which is a better idea.
However at the moment ATI is the better choice in terms of value for the money. In the US at least, it may differ overseas. For general reference use this chart to decide what to buy;
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-price,2323-6.html

For reference your GT120 1gig is almost undoubtedly DDR2 as all the 1gig cards are if I'm not mistaken so it is equivalent to the 9500gt(DDR2) you see on the chart.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

If you're still picking which cards are faster based on how much memory they have then you are way off. A G120 isn't even in the same ballpark as the X1900XT. The latest marketing trick is to throw large amounts of memory onto crappy cards that could never effectively utilize it.

I'd look at an HD4850, they're usually a bit cheaper than the GTS250 and are about on the same level performance wise. Whether or not a 1GB card is worth it depends on your resolution.

If you want a card that is faster than the X1900XT (which I am still using), at a minimum you should consider the HD 4670 or GTS 130 (9600 GSO). They are not considerably faster than the X1900XT (no WOW factor), but they are indeed faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.