Sign in with
Your question
Closed

NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT120 what is this the same as?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2009 10:07:47 PM

NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT120

Hi what is this card the same as ?

More about : nvidia geforce gt120

January 21, 2009 10:51:29 PM

lulwut?
January 21, 2009 11:38:35 PM

Did you accidentally the card or something?
Related resources
January 22, 2009 8:36:10 AM

thanks for the reply
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2009 8:44:16 AM

Great, now we have to relearn them ...........................................................................................................................................................again
February 14, 2009 8:52:10 PM

is the GeForce GT120 as with 1gig of dedicated memory as good as the 8800GT?
February 14, 2009 8:56:48 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Great, now we have to relearn them ...........................................................................................................................................................again

Come on how hard is this going to be? honestly:p ? Atleast they are keeping them in the 100s so ppl kno they aren't as strong as the 200s:)  I mean why change a good thing? :)  What do car companies do??? :D  atleast this time ur not paying 15k + :D 

a c 365 U Graphics card
February 14, 2009 9:00:08 PM

neo007 said:
is the GeForce GT120 as with 1gig of dedicated memory as good as the 8800GT?

Hell no.
February 14, 2009 11:33:30 PM

L1qu1d said:
What do car companies do??? :D  atleast this time ur not paying 15k + :D 

At least the car companies give you a minor styling change like a different grill or different trim pieces. Nvidia just changes the name on the sticker and increases the price by $20.
February 15, 2009 12:02:32 AM

20$ to me is alot better off than 2000$ for grill and trimmed pieces:D  (ok, cars are like 9800 GTX and 9800 GTX+) :)  I'm mean I don't agree with it, but I mean if some1 was dumb enough to buy it, well good for the company taking advantage of an open opportunity (nice way of saying stupidity).

You don't need to be interested in something to do research before purchasing it:) .

Who knows maybe they will clock them higher, or put a new cooler, but even if they didn't 20$ isn't the end of the world;).

It was funny when it was annouced, I laughed ....alot hhaha, and I still do when I hear it :p 

Since I'm not one of the ppl that are affected by it, and I'm sure most of you guys aren't either, it shouldn't bother me.

Frankly I don't judge the company, I judge the product. If it were up to me I'd sell both ati cards, and Nvidia cards with out stickers on em, except for the power. Let the person by the product based on reviews, not company:) 

But thats just me. I really hate it when ppl say, oh I'm not going with Nvidia because of their practices, or ATI just sucks....comments like those whether its pointed to any company just shows how much you just need to ignore the post:) 

Now back to armored Core :D 
February 15, 2009 12:20:45 AM

Cars to GFX cards is a horrible analogy lmao.

NVidia card name changes have always sucked, I think this is for the better.
The good thing about this is that it easily puts the cards in a performance line for the average consumer.
February 15, 2009 1:03:02 AM

Great marketing by nVidia once again.
February 15, 2009 1:23:32 AM

does anyone know how good this GT120 really is? i've seen a few things on the net saying that it is the next generation for the 9500GT but just here say. The guy i talked to at best buy from the geek squad said it ran better than his 8800GT and almost as good as running 2 8800gt's. Is the GT120 really that good? If not, how good is it and why?
February 15, 2009 1:46:11 AM

neo007 said:
The guy i talked to at best buy from the geek squad

That does not make him more credible, if anything it makes him less so. They will tell you anything to make you buy something. My friend bought a 7300gs from bestbuy over a HD2600XT at the same price elsewhere because the salesman from bestbuy told him that "turbocache makes it twice as fast". "Turbocache" is just marketing for a card that uses part of your system memory rather than it's own, it's actually slower than a card that uses dedicated memory.

I facepalmed hard, at least he came to me to install the thing rather than letting BB rip him off more.

neo007 said:
said it ran better than his 8800GT and almost as good as running 2 8800gt's. Is the GT120 really that good?

No, it's the same as a 9500GT which is the same as a 8600GT. A 8600GT does not beat 2 8800GTs.

neo007 said:
If not, how good is it and why?

See above.
February 15, 2009 1:54:01 AM

Its trash. Thats all you need to know.
March 28, 2009 9:52:23 PM

neo007 said:
does anyone know how good this GT120 really is? i've seen a few things on the net saying that it is the next generation for the 9500GT but just here say. The guy i talked to at best buy from the geek squad said it ran better than his 8800GT and almost as good as running 2 8800gt's. Is the GT120 really that good? If not, how good is it and why?

Might I recommend an ATI HD4850. Great card, great price. If you have to stick to Nvidia, the only one's to look at are 8800GT (budget), 9800GTX or GTX 260 (Midrange). GTX 280 (High end). I really do recommend the HD4850 (budget) or HD4870(Mid-High end). The ATI cards have slower memory performance, but i'm impressed that they have 800 stream processors.
April 20, 2009 6:43:57 PM

GT120=9500GT=8600GT It is around four times slower than 8800GTS 512MB
May 18, 2009 7:47:05 AM

sjones72751 said:
Might I recommend an ATI HD4850. Great card, great price. If you have to stick to Nvidia, the only one's to look at are 8800GT (budget), 9800GTX or GTX 260 (Midrange). GTX 280 (High end). I really do recommend the HD4850 (budget) or HD4870(Mid-High end). The ATI cards have slower memory performance, but i'm impressed that they have 800 stream processors.

that is the best advice i have seen on video cards all year
July 15, 2009 7:09:27 PM

Yeah hi I'm a newbie in here.

Now, that out of the way, I have the GT120 coming with the rig I just bought, and although it beats my old rigs X1900XT/512 (which was ultimate when I bought it, the summer it came out, ages ago it seems), I find it seriously lacking in processing power to run modern games properly (As a matter of fact, I think it even clocks below the X1900XT, even thou it has double the memory). And that's another thing: I'm no engineer, and I'm perplexed by what I see when perusing the info on GPU's: Seems to me the amount of mem on a card isn't as relevant by far anymore as it used to be? :??: 

Yeah sorry for rambling, here's the point: I want to get a proper card, of the nVidia GeForce family, in the price-range of 150-200ish €'s. What would you folks here suggest I get? XFX GeForce GTS250 1GB, PCI-Express 2.0, I had my eye on that one after quickly rummaging through the cards. It's listed as costing 142.90€'s, which is pretty suitable for me. It seems to clock very okay to me, and has those 1gigs of mem as the GT120, which also pleases me.

Advice please?

Cheers, E.S/Devilbound

P.S: Sorry if it seems so, I've no intention of thread hi-jacking, just didn't want to start a new one as my question is largely along the lines of the OT.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 15, 2009 8:53:18 PM

Devilbound said:
Now, that out of the way, I have the GT120 coming with the rig I just bought, and although it beats my old rigs X1900XT/512
I hate to break this to you but the GT120 is significantly inferior to your old X1900 XT.
If you insist on Nvidia the GTS250 is a good choice but in that price range I would think you could snag a GTX 260(216) which is a better idea.
However at the moment ATI is the better choice in terms of value for the money. In the US at least, it may differ overseas. For general reference use this chart to decide what to buy;
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-pric...

For reference your GT120 1gig is almost undoubtedly DDR2 as all the 1gig cards are if I'm not mistaken so it is equivalent to the 9500gt(DDR2) you see on the chart.
July 15, 2009 11:42:18 PM

Devilbound said:

Now, that out of the way, I have the GT120 coming with the rig I just bought, and although it beats my old rigs X1900XT/512 (which was ultimate when I bought it, the summer it came out, ages ago it seems), I find it seriously lacking in processing power to run modern games properly (As a matter of fact, I think it even clocks below the X1900XT, even thou it has double the memory). And that's another thing: I'm no engineer, and I'm perplexed by what I see when perusing the info on GPU's: Seems to me the amount of mem on a card isn't as relevant by far anymore as it used to be? :??: 

Yeah sorry for rambling, here's the point: I want to get a proper card, of the nVidia GeForce family, in the price-range of 150-200ish €'s. What would you folks here suggest I get? XFX GeForce GTS250 1GB, PCI-Express 2.0, I had my eye on that one after quickly rummaging through the cards. It's listed as costing 142.90€'s, which is pretty suitable for me. It seems to clock very okay to me, and has those 1gigs of mem as the GT120, which also pleases me.

Advice please?

Cheers, E.S/Devilbound

P.S: Sorry if it seems so, I've no intention of thread hi-jacking, just didn't want to start a new one as my question is largely along the lines of the OT.

If you're still picking which cards are faster based on how much memory they have then you are way off. A G120 isn't even in the same ballpark as the X1900XT. The latest marketing trick is to throw large amounts of memory onto crappy cards that could never effectively utilize it.

I'd look at an HD4850, they're usually a bit cheaper than the GTS250 and are about on the same level performance wise. Whether or not a 1GB card is worth it depends on your resolution.
a c 365 U Graphics card
July 15, 2009 11:46:43 PM

Devilbound said:

Now, that out of the way, I have the GT120 coming with the rig I just bought, and although it beats my old rigs X1900XT/512 (which was ultimate when I bought it, the summer it came out, ages ago it seems)...

If you want a card that is faster than the X1900XT (which I am still using), at a minimum you should consider the HD 4670 or GTS 130 (9600 GSO). They are not considerably faster than the X1900XT (no WOW factor), but they are indeed faster.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2009 11:54:46 PM

At that price range, I'd be saving up a very small amount more and getting a 4770 or 4850 tbh.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 16, 2009 3:29:06 AM

I'm pretty sure anything labeled a GTS 130 would be the new crappy 9600 GSO and shouldn't be recommended.
July 16, 2009 2:51:56 PM

Firstly, thanks for all the timely responses, everyone! Much appreciated! ^^
jyjjy said:
I hate to break this to you but the GT120 is significantly inferior to your old X1900 XT.
If you insist on Nvidia the GTS250 is a good choice but in that price range I would think you could snag a GTX 260(216) which is a better idea.
However at the moment ATI is the better choice in terms of value for the money. In the US at least, it may differ overseas. For general reference use this chart to decide what to buy;
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-pric...

For reference your GT120 1gig is almost undoubtedly DDR2 as all the 1gig cards are if I'm not mistaken so it is equivalent to the 9500gt(DDR2) you see on the chart.

Hey, don't be hating to break that to me! It makes me happy; now I can upgrade my rig without spending a dime! And after replacing the GT120 with the X1900XT, yeah, it sure is a lot better. Have to say, after opening the case and getting a good look at the GT120, it came pretty clear to me; the GT120 looks like it is: Crappy.

It's just truly amazing and incredible how well the X1900XT has stood up to time. Easily the best home entertainment purchase I have ever made along with my 15" active subwoofer. People even said I'm crazy to spend 550€ on anything (both costed that when I bought them, the subbie and the X1900). Proved them wrong!

I still am considering a new card thou, as the X1900XT is getting old, old and hot. And I sure ain't insisting on nVidia anymore after looking at the relative pricerange. Seems the ATI cards are a rough 20% cheaper (at the least) on the power-to-price -ratio. Or something like that. Some of the nVidia cards are not that much costlier thou. Only, I think I must get a new PS as well when buying a new card, as the one that's in the new rig now is only 400w..? Am I correct in presuming this? For example, with the HD4850? Or the HD4870?

turboflame said:
If you're still picking which cards are faster based on how much memory they have then you are way off. A G120 isn't even in the same ballpark as the X1900XT. The latest marketing trick is to throw large amounts of memory onto crappy cards that could never effectively utilize it.

I'd look at an HD4850, they're usually a bit cheaper than the GTS250 and are about on the same level performance wise. Whether or not a 1GB card is worth it depends on your resolution.

Yeah, I gathered as much. Nice marketing trick... Retards. And yes, the HD4850 or the HD4870 are looking very enticing.

I'd like to run at the max resolution possible with my (spanking new 26" widescreen) monitor, 1900 x 1200.

So, any new ideas or recommendations? Here's two cards that look good to me (tell me if I'm wrong): Sapphire HD4870 1G PCI-E TOXIC GDDR5, at €165,90 (no HDMI thou). And a Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 1GB, PCI-Express 2.0 at a listed price of €170,90.

Okay for a comparison, here's one nVidia: XFX GeForce GTX260 216 896MB PCI E at a listed price of €181,90.

What kind of a power source would I be needing with these? I reckon the 400w I have now isn't going to cut it at all, right?

Btw what's with the PCI-E 2.0? Is it a physical difference on the MoBo (as versus normal PCI-E)? Or is it just a difference on the card?

Oh, and as an aftertought, is it possible to use a dedicated, out of the case, powersource for the GPU? If ti comes to that... As I'm afraid of how well a new powersource would fit in to the case... Have had some less than great experiences before with this kind of non-custom (all factory-made and coming in a box) rigs and their cases...
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 16, 2009 7:36:12 PM

Yeah, you are going to need a new PSU. If it's a good brand then the one you have maybe could handle an HD4770 which gives similar performance to an HD4850 but is usually a bit more expensive(if you can even find one at the moment.) But at that resolution you would want one of the two cards you mentioned anyways, HD 4870 1gig or GTX260(216)
You are correct that a lot of prebuilt systems from major manufacturers have cases that cannot fit a standard PSU. They do this so you need to come to them when you need to upgrade and, of course, they will gouge you hard. Tell us the make and model of the computer you bought and we can tell you if you can use a standard PSU. That you could fit your old video card in the case is a good sign at least as it means it isn't slim/low profile.
Don't worry about PCI-E 2.0 vs 1.0, it's a non-issue.
July 16, 2009 8:02:03 PM

Thanks, much appreciated as always! ^^

Well, my rig is a Fujitsu Amilo GS360-3

It's rather weird architecturally: Even the MoBo was on the right side... Never seen that before. And yeah, the X1900 fit in snuggly, pretty good really, just needed to give a quick adjustment to the power wiring.

What sort of an powersource would I need with, for example, those two GPU's we've been talking about here?

And if standard issue PS's don't fit the casing, how about externalizing the PS? Is that at all feasible?
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 17, 2009 8:05:58 PM

Alright, I've tried to find info on your computer but I'm not sure it even exists. According to the Fujitsu website Amilo computers are L, P or S, there is no G series or GS and none of them have anything with 3603 as a model number. There is a P 3630 but it doesn't matter because of the 4 english manuals on the site for it they all lack anything resembling specifications.
I suggest you contact their support people and ask them what the deal is with your power supply. You could also just measure the thing yourself. A standard PSU is 5.9" x 3.4" w x h with the length varying some.
July 17, 2009 8:12:41 PM

I think I'll measure it by my own... The cust support over at Fujitsu tech don't know anything about my rig.

It's supposed to have 32Bit Vista; it has 64Bit Vista.

It's supposed to have Core2Duo E 5200; it has Core2Quad 8200....

Thanks for all your trouble nonetheless. ^^
July 17, 2009 10:41:57 PM

Will they even make these cards using 40nm technology?
January 14, 2010 5:52:39 PM

mingachimp said:
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT120

Hi what is this card the same as ?

This is macintosh video card, included with 8 cores xeon, costing more that 5000 U$S.

As you can guess, it's garbage.

Contains the same number of processors than 10 years old nvidia cards.
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 6:15:26 PM

a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 6:18:24 PM

marraco said:
This is macintosh video card, included with 8 cores xeon, costing more that 5000 U$S.

As you can guess, it's garbage.

Contains the same number of processors than 10 years old nvidia cards.

Well.... What a damn useless waste of Internet storage..

It was a pretty alright low low end card when this thread was made.. you know.. ONE YEAR AGO.. also.. it is not mac only, and I'm not sure why you quoted the price together with an 8core power mac... put down the pipe.

Can we get a lock in here?
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 6:22:19 PM

January 14, 2010 6:34:48 PM

daedalus685 said:
Well.... What a damn useless waste of Internet storage..

It was a pretty alright low low end card when this thread was made.. you know.. ONE YEAR AGO.. also.. it is not mac only, and I'm not sure why you quoted the price together with an 8core power mac... put down the pipe.

because is that mac video card, ha, ha
a c 274 U Graphics card
January 14, 2010 9:08:35 PM

daedalus685 said:

I do believe we can.

[:thegreatgrapeape:7]
!