Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

When will we see DX11 cards for £100?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 13, 2009 11:02:46 AM

With Win 7 just around the corner I've been planning on doing a big overhaul of my system to an i5 setup and I was planning on an ATI HD4870 graphics card (currently have an AGP card). But I might delay my upgrade if there are DX11 cards out soon. Are there going to be sub £100 DX11 graphics cards out in the next month? If not I'll probably go with the HD4870, if so, I'll hold off.

Cheers for any info!

More about : dx11 cards 100

a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 11:06:19 AM

Have you checked the prices on the 5770/5750 line? That is your best bet, as they are basically 4870 performance (or more) with much lower power consumption and DX11 of course. Only thing cheaper will not match 4870 performance and I doubt NVidia will have mid range DX11 anytime soon (if ever, for this gen).
October 13, 2009 11:10:42 AM

^+1.
Heres a review

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-tes...

Basic performance of a HD4870 but with Eyeinfinity and DX11.
Crossfire performance OVER a HD5850, with 6monitors Eyeinfinity support and Dual ATI Stream.

Worth it if you consider the second GPU in holidays or when price will drops.
Related resources
October 13, 2009 11:13:22 AM

If you consider Dual GPU your better off going with a solid Phenom II 955 for around the same price, and it will support dual X16 instead of dual X8.

If you can wait, in exactly 16 days we might see the biggest improvements in Dual GPU scaling in the history of mankind. And your better going with the i5 (I still think the i7 860 is WAY better and worth the extra cash.)

http://event.msi.com/mb/bigbang/

Read my LGA1156 best dual GPU mobo thread. ;) 
October 13, 2009 11:58:36 AM

bboynatural said:
If you consider Dual GPU your better off going with a solid Phenom II 955 for around the same price, and it will support dual X16 instead of dual X8.

If you can wait, in exactly 16 days we might see the biggest improvements in Dual GPU scaling in the history of mankind. And your better going with the i5 (I still think the i7 860 is WAY better and worth the extra cash.)

http://event.msi.com/mb/bigbang/

Read my LGA1156 best dual GPU mobo thread. ;) 


Sorry, you've confused me.

"your better off going with a solid Phenom II 955"
"your better going with the i5 "
"I still think the i7 860 is WAY better and worth the extra cash."

I'm going for the i5 because it's within budget (which is already stretched) and has a lower power footprint than the Phenom II 965
October 13, 2009 12:13:39 PM

Woops sorry. Allow me to explain XD

If you consider using Dual GPU anytime soon, your better going Phenom II 955 (the 965 is out of the question, it's a simple 955 overclocked.)
Because of the fact that AM3 Mobo supports dual x16 while LGA 1156 will never.
If your on a budget and dont need dual GPU, Then your better with the i5.

Now if you could tell me a little more about your budget and what you intend to do with that PC, I could easily guide you thru the most out of your buck.
October 13, 2009 12:55:40 PM

bboynatural said:
Woops sorry. Allow me to explain XD

If you consider using Dual GPU anytime soon, your better going Phenom II 955 (the 965 is out of the question, it's a simple 955 overclocked.)
Because of the fact that AM3 Mobo supports dual x16 while LGA 1156 will never.
If your on a budget and dont need dual GPU, Then your better with the i5.

Now if you could tell me a little more about your budget and what you intend to do with that PC, I could easily guide you thru the most out of your buck.


OK I see. My plan is build a PC that will last me a good 6 years without upgrading anything except a memory increase and extra HDDs when required. Which is why I'd rather get a DX11 card now as it will last longer even if there' no support for it right this very minute.

I was originally going to go for a Phenon II 955 but I don't want to now because of the power draw from it, I'd rather have the lower wattage i5. The 5770/5750 look nice in this regard - powerful and lower power.
I'm unlikely to run with dual Gfx cards any time soon, but it might make an easier upgrade in a couple of years time if I really need to.

The upgrade I plan on is to replace the mobo, cpu, memory, graphics card and install win 7. So I'm not planning on getting this lot until Win7 is available off the shelf.
Current list of components looks like:
- i5 750
- Gigabyte UD4 mobo (the one with 2 PCI slots)
- 4GB 1600 memory
- a graphics card, ideally DX 11.
- win 7 home premium

I'd rather spend less than £550 on the lot.

I might do a little gaming but probably not a huge amount (having said that, the reason I don't at the moment is because my PC can't handle it!). Would be nice to make full use of my 24" 1920x1200 monitor ;) 
Mostly going to be using the PC for photo processing large raw files. But things may change in the future and I'd like to make it as future proof as I can now.
October 13, 2009 1:20:57 PM

Alrights its time to make the best bang out of your buck
841.804 CAD is what I will be aiming, but this is gonna be quite hard since your buying...er..."legal" OS....
Alrights so heres your Build: 808.59. Guess I hit it =D (685.69 witouth win7... :) )
Phenom II 955 BE
GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
OCZ OCZ3G1333LVAM4GK AMD Gold 1333
ASUS EAH5770
Windows 7 Home premium 64.

Now I will explain the hardware choice.

the actual AM3 over LGA1156:
You said you want to keep your rig for a good amount of time? 6 years is a bit much witouth "any" upgrade tho...By going AMD, you choose value so very competitive pricing.
AM3 is Futureproof. The next CPU are the 6 cores coming 2010 and then 8 cores coming 2011. And all this for competitive pricing once again.
LGA 1156 sounds like dead. The next cpu is a lame i5.670 that has less cache and cost more. (less cache is not good for gaming)

Now memory talking.
No CPU needs more then 1333MHZ at the current technology (I could throw the benchmark but im very tired of wewriting this whole thread of i5 vs phenom II over and over again... your the 9000 dude im gonna convince of buying phenom..)
so your better with that RAM I chose if you want your BANG for the buck.

The mobo:
The mobo I chose is one of the best in AM3 sockets. Compared to the...UD4 you were getting. It supports Raid, and Dual X16, wich LGA1156 will NEVER support. Dual X16 is a MUST for dual GPU setup wich you might get soon. and the overclocking capabilities of this baby are awesome.

The GPU:
Single, you have the performance of a HD4870. you can play ANY game at 1920x1200 with highest settings EXCEPT crysis.
Now DOUBLE this card and tadam. The scales is 70%. you WILL be able to play Crysis on gamer settings with 2xMSAA at 1920x1200.
This card is a must for you.

Well I could make this thread a LOT more complete and convince u 100% that your far better with this build I just made, but seriously I wrote it...over 9000 times...
Even in Video Encoding and Zipping (Im shure you wont even use that.) The difference between i5 and Phenom II 955 is a mere 30 seconds. 21 if you overclock the Phenom.

well thats pretty much it...You have any questions?

October 13, 2009 2:27:02 PM

bboynatural said:
Alrights its time to make the best bang out of your buck
841.804 CAD is what I will be aiming, but this is gonna be quite hard since your buying...er..."legal" OS....
Alrights so heres your Build: 808.59. Guess I hit it =D (685.69 witouth win7... :) )
Phenom II 955 BE
GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
OCZ OCZ3G1333LVAM4GK AMD Gold 1333
ASUS EAH5770
Windows 7 Home premium 64.

Now I will explain the hardware choice.

the actual AM3 over LGA1156:
You said you want to keep your rig for a good amount of time? 6 years is a bit much witouth "any" upgrade tho...By going AMD, you choose value so very competitive pricing.
AM3 is Futureproof. The next CPU are the 6 cores coming 2010 and then 8 cores coming 2011. And all this for competitive pricing once again.
LGA 1156 sounds like dead. The next cpu is a lame i5.670 that has less cache and cost more. (less cache is not good for gaming)

Now memory talking.
No CPU needs more then 1333MHZ at the current technology (I could throw the benchmark but im very tired of wewriting this whole thread of i5 vs phenom II over and over again... your the 9000 dude im gonna convince of buying phenom..)
so your better with that RAM I chose if you want your BANG for the buck.

The mobo:
The mobo I chose is one of the best in AM3 sockets. Compared to the...UD4 you were getting. It supports Raid, and Dual X16, wich LGA1156 will NEVER support. Dual X16 is a MUST for dual GPU setup wich you might get soon. and the overclocking capabilities of this baby are awesome.

The GPU:
Single, you have the performance of a HD4870. you can play ANY game at 1920x1200 with highest settings EXCEPT crysis.
Now DOUBLE this card and tadam. The scales is 70%. you WILL be able to play Crysis on gamer settings with 2xMSAA at 1920x1200.
This card is a must for you.

Well I could make this thread a LOT more complete and convince u 100% that your far better with this build I just made, but seriously I wrote it...over 9000 times...
Even in Video Encoding and Zipping (Im shure you wont even use that.) The difference between i5 and Phenom II 955 is a mere 30 seconds. 21 if you overclock the Phenom.

well thats pretty much it...You have any questions?


That does look like a nice setup and is similar to what I was originally looking at. Perhaps I used the wrong term when I said "futureproof" though. What I meant was"will last a long time". I'm not that fussed if in 2-3 years I can use a 6-8 core chip in an AM3 mobo because I don't want to replace the chip for 6 years, by which point AM3 will be dead along with everything else. As I said, I'll probably only upgrade the amount of memory and storage in the machine - gonna need to space for all the 4chan pics I will need to save. The i5 offers better performance that the 955 and lower power requirements which is why I'm looking at that kind of rig. It doesn't really matter to me if there's no further LGS1156 CPUs because I'm planning on sticking with the one I get and not changing it.

With the photo work I do I'm looking at 1600Mhz memory because I'm sure I'll be able to max that out soon with the software I use. Which is why I'm interested in getting a DX11 card, to ensure future software compatibility rather than future upgradability.
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 2:30:21 PM

I wasn't really impressed by the 5770 until I saw these prices on ebuyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=5770&x=0&y=0

So it's not quite £100, but for just £13 more you are getting something that is very worthwhile.

Btw, at posting there are 20 left. I've been thinking about buying two and when I refresh the page there are usually another 1-2 sold. If you want one, best be fast. If you can wait a few days take the free post option.
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 2:31:07 PM

Either build looks good to me. I have a Phenom II 940, and it is a good chip. It easily stayed at stock clocks and undervolted to 1.25V (from 1.35V) saving quite a bit of power. Not to mention, both chips have power saving features so if you are just surfing the web, neither will use much. And even with all 4 cores maxed (pretty rare) temps stay fairly low. I'm impressed with it and it is a good chip, though the i5 is excellent as well. Check benchmarks, compare platforms, etc, and see which is the best fit for your needs.
October 13, 2009 2:41:00 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-ddr3,2319...

The proof that you wont gain any extra performance.
Also, the i5 was faster in very high cpu intensive actions such as winrar or video encoding (wich gamers never use) and by only 30 seconds (15 if you overclock) . In fact, both of these actions takes SO much time that you shouldnt even consider 30 seconds, even less 15 seconds. Only photo editing, you will clearly see NO difference with the 955.
If you absolutly want to stick with a 6 year cpu, Then at least get one that will give you the most out of your GPU power, and that will be the phenom II 955. I think you only gain 50W between i5 and Phenom II955...you shouldnt consider that since you already consider Crossfire wich will require you a decent PSU.
The rest is really up to you...Now someone coming from 4chan, and you will BUY a OS? thats rather...weird.. o.o most people out of 4chan are /b/ and will never waste a single buck on microsoft.
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 2:47:10 PM

bboynatural said:
Now someone coming from 4chan, and you will BUY a OS? thats rather...weird.. o.o most people out of 4chan are /b/ and will never waste a single buck on microsoft.

:heink:  What?, please explain.
October 13, 2009 3:12:31 PM

it's gonna be hard... just go on 4chan.org and chek the Random section...
anonymous...hackers on steroids..../b/(random)....and.... just dont visit that website...its pure mindf**k.....
*brain explode*
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 13, 2009 3:18:34 PM

Oh OK, I didn't know it was a website for dodgy persons, no need for the 'colourful' language though, this is a family site after all so a little 'quick edit' might not go amiss. ;) 
October 13, 2009 4:02:33 PM

LOL family site!
"Mom dad what are we doing today?"
"well were checking the latest benchmarks on tom's hardware of course hunney"
"oooh great!!! thats gonna be so fun!!"

LLOLOOLLOOL that made my day. XD sorry for the language tho
October 13, 2009 4:02:56 PM

No wait. HD 5770 made my day. >=)
!