ATI® Radeon™ HD 3450 - has it a firewire socket?

marbetu

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Hello, I am hopefully going to buy a Dell studio slim desktop with this graphics card: ATI® Radeon™ HD 3450 of 256. My question is: does this card have a firewire? I want to be able to upload and download DV to and from my camera.

This is what I have found in a review on COMPUTER SHOPPER.COM* about the card, but it is a bit to techie for me to be sure whether it has or has not a firewire or IEEE1394 I believe is another name for it. They have a photo of it on the site, but I dont see a firewire socket like the one i have on my current computer.

"The card has only a single DVI port, as well as a component-video/S-Video connector and a High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) adapter for the DVI port. ATI also has a model available with both DVI and VGA ports, as well as one with a VGA port and the new DisplayPort connector."
*http://computershopper.com/graphics-cards/reviews/ati-radeon-hd-3450-graphics-card

marbetu

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
I'd like to add a summary of the Dell I want to buy:

STUDIO SLIM D034S06
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-core Q8200 (2,33 GHz, FSB 1 333 MHz, cache 4 Mb)
O S: Windows Vista® Édition Familiale Premium SP1 authentique
MONITOR: large screen 20 inches (1680 x 1050), SP2009W, DVI-D, Truelife, webcam 2 mpx, noir - Eur.
MEMORY: 4Gb SDRAM DDR 2 bicanale à 800 MHz [4x1024]
HARD DISK: SATA de 500 Gb à 7 200 tr/min
OPTICAL DRIVE: DVD+/-RW (+CD) BURNER/READER
GRAPHICS CARD: ATI® Radeon™ HD 3450 de 256
KEYBOARD + MOUSE: DELL Multimedia Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Black - French
CARD READER: Lecteur de carte 19 en 1
WIRELESS CONNECTION: Dell Card 1505 -N Network PCIe wireless

I didnt see anywhere on the configuration choices the mention of a firewire card, so i assume that it should be already in the graphics card.

marbetu

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
thank you frozenhead, does that mean that i will have to get another component, a separate 1394 card?
i am surprised that a recent Dell configuration wouldn't have a 1394 as standard. Also is it possible that a firewire socket is included in the motherboard, or some other component?
Thanks in advance if you could reply.
Marbetu

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
If the computer doesn't come with firewire then you can either shop around for a firewire PCI card (I got one several years back for about $8) or you can look for a sound card that has one built in like an Audigy 2 ZS... probably more money and not necessary. I hope you're not paying too much for that system.

-mcg

marbetu

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
hi Mr Communis, thanks for that info. With Dell, the computer is costing me about 900 Euro, that's about 1140 DollarsUS. It includes a flat screen 20 inch with built in webcam (the screen alone retails for about 250 euro). Do you think this is a good deal, or should I shop around in local shops that build the computer according to the configuration I want? I'd appreciate your opinion. Many thanks already for your reply. :)

geckoar

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
I know that most Mobos...Motherboards... have the Firewire port on it. I never use the firewire thats on my K9A2 mobo but its there.

the firewire chip is on the mobo and not the video card

Firewire is more like a USB Port and not a video input.

Also I think 900 Euros is alot for for the PC.

the CPU 8200(quad) Is the lowest end intel quad core.

the RAM is 4x1gb right? 2x2gb is better i think because you never know if you need more RAM.

The 3450 GPU is about as powerful as the 3200IPG which is not a video card but it is built in to the motherboard.

So you might want to look around a bit more before you buy.

I live in the USA so I really cant point out any places to look for parts.

Good Luck