Sign in with
Your question

nvidia 280 price drop US$499.99 (€318/£252)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2008 7:00:02 AM

[Online retailer Newegg has already dropped the prices of some of its Geforce GTX 280 and 260 card and the price drop is a lot more than expected. Asus and MSI GTX 280 cards are already listed for as little as US$499.99 (€318/£252), but as if that wasn't good enough, Asus is offering a $30 mail-in rebate and MSI is offering a $40 one.

This means that you can get the MSI card for as little as US$459 (€293/£232) which is really going to put some pressure on AMD. Cards from other manufacturers seem to be selling for anything between $519 and $729.99, so the price cut hasn't taken effect across the board as yet.

GTX 260 cards haven't dropped quite as much in price, but you can pick up an MSI card for $299.99 (€191/£151) which is still a very good deal, although most of the other cards listed are selling for between $329.99 and $429.99.

Hopefully this price drop will follow suite across the pond in Europe as well, but time will tell if there'll be as much of a price cut outside of the US.

Update: It turns out that the MSI mail-in rebate is available for its GTX 260 card as well and both offers are available until the end of the month, this makes the MSI card even cheaper at $259.99 (€165/£131). All you have to do is go to this website and register your purchase and you get the money back from MSI.]

from fudzilla

ur going to be pissed if uv just got one or even two for $600
just shows how much they make on them or do you think they are selling them at a loss
July 4, 2008 7:07:10 AM

Still expensive anyway, just not freaking expensive, just expensive now.
July 4, 2008 7:11:02 AM

still not as good in price to performance as the 48xx series. i mean the 4870 can beat the gtx 280 in some games.
Related resources
July 4, 2008 7:11:07 AM

They better keep going down. They stil arent worth it compared to what ATI has to offer for bang:buck ratio.

I think ATI should drop $50 to put more heat on. ATI/AMD learned a lesson on pricing after Intel put the price war on them. If they are smart they will do to Nvidia what Intel did to AMD.
July 4, 2008 7:14:40 AM

ati will drop there prices on hearing this news
July 4, 2008 9:34:52 AM

rangers said:
ati will drop there prices on hearing this news

ATI MAY drop their prices on hearing this news
July 4, 2008 9:39:07 AM

romulus47plus1 said:
ATI MAY drop their prices on hearing this news

May is gone, it is now July.... :D 
July 4, 2008 9:49:18 AM

FrozenGpu said:
May is gone, it is now July.... :D 

LOL...
I think ATI may drop their prices when the R700(4870x2) comes out.
July 4, 2008 10:18:58 AM

A friend of mine in Seattle got the GTsuX 280 on friday for $610 ...damn he's gonna be pissed....

anyhow apparently he hears a jet engine every time he plays Crysis ...lmao ... i would never spend $500 for GTsuX.

*Somewhere in a brown box the bunch of 4870X2 yell: THIS IS SPARTA!!!!*
July 4, 2008 10:21:20 AM

nVidia shouts: This GTsuX is madness!
July 4, 2008 10:51:50 AM

With the heating probalem of their 48xx serie ATI better lowered their overpriced overheating cards.
July 4, 2008 11:49:07 AM

concrum said:
With the heating probalem of their 48xx serie ATI better lowered their overpriced overheating cards.

OK. Let's stop the Kool-Aid drinking session by now, shall we?
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2008 12:11:23 PM

Drop prices? Have you guys looked at newegg today? Many 4850s have $25-$30 rebates on them, bringing them down to ~$175-$180. PRICE WAR, PRICE WAR. God this great!.

I'm not impressed with a 280 at $499/$459. To much for a card that is barely better then one that costs $299. A 260 at $259 is a little better, but I'd probably still get the $175 4850. 10% slower, and almost $80 cheaper.

Quote:

First, the temps top out at 80, which is the same as my x1800XT. Second, unlike the GTX 260/280, at least those temps are going out the back of the case, instead of into it. Third, have you heard how loud the GTX cards are? I think its actually worse then the FX5800. (assuming your old enough to remember those cards.)
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 12:30:13 PM

Ya know, Im lovin Toms. I was on a different site, and I watched as these guys actually started believing because the prices have dropped on the nVidiacards, that now, not only were the prices better, but somehow, the cards are noqw too LOL I couldnt belive what I was reading. No wonder they started selling those thing at 700 bucks, some people are just mesmerised
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 12:48:48 PM

The $40 MSI rebates works for the GTX260. So that's $260 shipped AR. I'd like two for that price, but no higher.
July 4, 2008 12:53:07 PM

yes iv been an ati fanboy most of my adult life but now the GTsuX has had a price drop i can see now iv been mislead by ati all them years i repent come back nvidia all is forgiven
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 12:54:49 PM

Quote:
I've seen the 4850 for $150 after rebate w/free shipping just a few days ago.

It's just sick. The card is worth a lot more (not that I'm complaining). ;) 
July 4, 2008 12:56:14 PM

I really hope nVidia suffers a bit, so it learns to treat its customers better.
Currently I have one EVGA 8800 Ultra. The card is great and I was considering getting another one for SLI.
However, I've checked Newegg and found the price is $519! That's ridiculous! Checking Compusa and Tigerdirect, I found close prices.
One of the reasons why you get a SLI/Cross Fire system is the possibility of upgrading your computer in the near future without having to order a new video card and throwing away your old one.
For this to make sense, prices have to go down as new cards hit the market.
nVidia not only didn't reduce the prices on 8800 Ultra/GTX cards, but it has also made it more difficult to find them.
This is outrageous.
ATI has been much more respectful, keeping the market supplied with it's older cards, and at reasonable prices.
I've made my mind: my next mobo will be Intel (thanks God I'll get rid of those noisy fans over the chipset) and my next card will be ATI.
I really hope AMD manages to catch intel on CPU front so we'll all benefit from another real player.
nVidia, you better face it: competition is here. Change the way you work or you're out.
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 1:01:08 PM

galta said:
I really hope nVidia suffers a bit, so it learns to treat its customers better.
Currently I have one EVGA 8800 Ultra. The card is great and I was considering getting another one for SLI.
However, I've checked Newegg and found the price is $519! That's ridiculous! Checking Compusa and Tigerdirect, I found close prices.
One of the reasons why you get a SLI/Cross Fire system is the possibility of upgrading your computer in the near future without having to order a new video card and throwing away your old one.
For this to make sense, prices have to go down as new cards hit the market.
nVidia not only didn't reduce the prices on 8800 Ultra/GTX cards, but it has also made it more difficult to find them.
This is outrageous.
ATI has been much more respectful, keeping the market supplied with it's older cards, and at reasonable prices.
I've made my mind: my next mobo will be Intel (thanks God I'll get rid of those noisy fans over the chipset) and my next card will be ATI.
I really hope AMD manages to catch intel on CPU front so we'll all benefit from another real player.
nVidia, you better face it: competition is here. Change the way you work or you're out.

Unfortunately that's mostly a misconception about SLI. In theory, it sounds like a great plan. But more often than not, later on down the line, buying that second card new will not be the best option available. G92 owners have had it good so far in buying a second card. G80 owners, not so good.

July 4, 2008 1:14:06 PM

pauldh said:
Unfortunately that's mostly a misconception about SLI. In theory, it sounds like a great plan. But more often than not, later on down the line, buying that second card new will not be the best option available. G92 owners have had it good so far in buying a second card. G80 owners, not so good.

You're right, it sounds like a good plan and it isn't.
The point is that it should be.
Think about it: how many of us really buy a system with 2 or more video cards from the start? Generally the best choice when putting a system together is a single powerful card instead of 2 less powerful ones, if you take in consideration price, performance and energy consumption.
If the best move in the future is always to upgrade you card, and not going SLI later, what's the point in buying a sophisticated and expensive mobo with 680/780/790 chipset?
Just go for a cheap Via mobo.
It may be a misconception about SLI, but it shouldn’t be. Cross Fire has not been.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 1:29:07 PM

well with the gt200 refresh... the prices should drop further and they will be able to squeeze some more performance out of it...

but in this refresh... the best thing they can do is add more fill processors or whatever the 4870 has that the gt200 doesn't... and add gddr5... if they did that the card would fly...

July 4, 2008 1:31:26 PM

HIJACK ALERT ok not really but here goes, I have a 8800 GTS (G92) 512mb, and im looking at the ati 4870, and thinking, eh, i paid 300 for this card in january, why not 300 now for the 4870, now heres the question, how much of a improvement in speed am i going to see, keep in mind im also upgrading to a 27.5" monitor, and will play it at the 1900x1200 resolution.
July 4, 2008 1:31:31 PM

dattimr said:
OK. Let's stop the Kool-Aid drinking session by now, shall we?

LOL! That was sheer brilliance, my man!!!
July 4, 2008 1:33:40 PM

romulus47plus1 said:
nVidia shouts: This GTsuX is madness!

MADNESS!?!?!?!? This is Tom's Hardware!!! *kicks romulus into the GPU of death*
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 1:36:43 PM

galta said:
You're right, it sounds like a good plan and it isn't.
The point is that it should be.
Think about it: how many of us really buy a system with 2 or more video cards from the start? Generally the best choice when putting a system together is a single powerful card instead of 2 less powerful ones, if you take in consideration price, performance and energy consumption.
If the best move in the future is always to upgrade you card, and not going SLI later, what's the point in buying a sophisticated and expensive mobo with 680/780/790 chipset?
Just go for a cheap Via mobo.
It may be a misconception about SLI, but it shouldn’t be. Cross Fire has not been.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you and wish it were that way. But their loyalty is toward profit margins not customer appreciation and the cost to manufacture aging cards doesn't go down enough so they move onto the new money makers rather than selling cheap old cards (once their supply is used up). Certainly G92 is an example of bargains that are out there.

I did build my system with SLI 8800GT from right from the start. The way I saw it, that offered me the most for the money. For cheaper than an 8800GTX, I got a lot more performance than an 8800U in most games. SLI options have never been so good, so I disagree with those who say a single card is always better. Looking right now, dual 8800GTor GTS 512MB, or HD4850 is a better option for $300-400 is a better option than any single card. It's been that way for a while (since G92 release). Obviously we need mobos and power supplies capable of running the dual cards. But I still see single and dual card options as coming down to best bang for buck, and SLI/crossfire right from the start is a good option IMO. Biggest downside to me is not having SLI and crossfire work on all mobos with dual PCI-e 16x slots. That would be a piece of heaven. I'd like to be able to go from dual 8800GT to dual HD4870 or dual HD3850 to Dual 9800GTX, etc.
July 4, 2008 1:37:03 PM

Belili said:
MADNESS!?!?!?!? This is Tom's Hardware!!! *kicks romulus into the GPU of death*

:lol:  How does the GPU of death look like?
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 1:41:57 PM

blacksci said:
HIJACK ALERT ok not really but here goes, I have a 8800 GTS (G92) 512mb, and im looking at the ati 4870, and thinking, eh, i paid 300 for this card in january, why not 300 now for the 4870, now heres the question, how much of a improvement in speed am i going to see, keep in mind im also upgrading to a 27.5" monitor, and will play it at the 1900x1200 resolution.

In some games a nice boost. Really it comes down to where is the single G92 letting you down, and in those situations will the HD4870 do better and be enough for your desired outcome. 19x12 crysis dx10 very high is not going to happen.

OT, but if you had an SLI mobo, you could have added a second GTS 512MB for as low as $120 AR in the USA, and you would have had better than GTX280 performance in most games.
July 4, 2008 1:46:13 PM

Thank god for ATI.

Keeping nvidia honest.
July 4, 2008 1:49:30 PM

Im not being let down, just have cash to blow, and getting a bigger monitor, i hate seeing those fps drop just cuz i can see more, lol.
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 2:10:20 PM

LOL, must be nice. Married with children I don't recall how that feels.

I'm a big Antec earthwatts fan myself (bought a boat-load of them for builds/upgrades and stock up when they are on sale and shipped free), but I wonder if the earthwatts 500W is enough for an HD4870. it consumes more than SLI 8800GT. Probably fine even in a loaded Q6600 system, but I'd probably do more 12v if specifically building an HD4870 rig.
July 4, 2008 2:15:18 PM

another psu is no prob, and its not like im rich, just workin 6 days a week right now, with 12 hour shifts, so they pay is good in the summer time. Also figured i would have to upgrade that, its a quick install, so no probs there, prolly get a 650 or mebbe higher, depends on what i see in the next few days for people getting this card, and what psu they are using that seems to work well voltage wise.
July 4, 2008 2:30:20 PM

Not sure what prices are elsewhere, but here in the UK its a no brainer....You can either have a gtx280, or 2 X 4870 and still have more than enough money left over to get slaughtered this saturday.
July 4, 2008 2:36:20 PM

bout a 300 dollar diffrence here in the us, that buys alot of beer, but money isnt really the problem, i just dont like payin top dollar for a couple of fps diffrence
July 4, 2008 3:23:16 PM

NarwhaleAu said:
Thank god for ATI.

Keeping nvidia honest.

there's a first nvidia and honest in the same sentence
July 4, 2008 6:44:50 PM

concrum said:

Stop trolling these forums, go away fanboy!

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2008 7:07:27 PM

owned
July 4, 2008 9:16:25 PM

Quote:
owned

is it too much to ask for trolls to go away? :D 
July 4, 2008 10:17:27 PM

concrum said:

Whatever dude, it's called changing the fan speed or getting a different cooler or simply accepting the fact that they can handle more heat... period.

That said I love these price wars. nVidia was NUTS to think they could charge what they did for the GTX series when it first came out!
July 4, 2008 10:33:28 PM

all i can say is they look to be up **** creek or they wouldn't be dropping there prices
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2008 11:01:39 PM

Bring on the price drops , we win in the end :) 
July 4, 2008 11:53:57 PM

monsta said:

At least you've toned down your trolling which I have to give you props for, you know being a Monsta and all...

yes as long as competition is healthy we win, which is a truth I think even certain fanboys would even have to agree on. :lol: 
July 5, 2008 10:18:20 AM

monsta said:

Unless they lower the GTX280's price to $100 in August.
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 5, 2008 3:03:52 PM

I wish! ;) 
July 5, 2008 3:39:47 PM

i'd take single GTX over single 4870 anyday, its more futureproof and many game seem to like Nvidia better.

For peole who doesnt want to spend more than 500$ and that a single card is enough for their gaming needs, GTX280 is the better card
July 5, 2008 3:45:18 PM

concrum said:
i'd take single GTX over single 4870 anyday, its more futureproof and many game seem to like Nvidia better.

For peole who doesnt want to spend more than 500$ and that a single card is enough for their gaming needs, GTX280 is the better card

fud fud fud the 280 futureproof "ha-ha" dx10.1 anyone
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2008 3:47:31 PM

In most games it is, not in all. To bad they cant claim a total victory, and those prices......
July 5, 2008 4:02:34 PM

the point is nvidia have been greedy and now there paying for that greed. i wont be going with the 280 i dont care if they give it away ati will get my cash out of spite its called a backlash and i hope it hurts
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2008 4:10:46 PM

Its tough to be king heheh
July 5, 2008 7:38:44 PM

still expensive with 500 i prefer to buy 2 4850 crossfire and 100 left
!