Best Geforce card for £280-ish

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Since my crossfire 3870s expired as ATI are idiots and limit the fan speed to 23% constantly i have decided to give up on them and crossfire and get a really powerful single geforce for nearly £300 (£280 preferably).

I use an Asus P5E mobo so which card should i get? I know i could never go sli due to the mobo, but i dont mind as currently multi-gpu tech isnt that much better!

Basically im looking for the best geforce i could get for £280 (my 'max' budget). Or if you have an even better ati suggestion that wont try to melt itself that would be great too!

Thanks.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion but how long will it be as i need a computer soon for my coursework, and cant use my brothers often at all? Also what will it cost?

Any that are out now would be easiest for me because of my work load.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I cant afford 2 and doubt that i could use SLi in my motherboard, it only says crossfire certified. Still, ide be happy with one really good card instead of 2 that overheat!

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Oh i know ooral, i might still get just 1 of them! Thanks for the suggestion, nice to know of a card that is good and works!

The BFG GeForce 8800 GTX looks pretty good.

Ironnads

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Still not better than your original crossfire 3870 setup though surely..? Why not get an aftermarket fan or coolers for them and overclock them like a good boy?

Ryan

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
The problem isnt the stock coolers, its the way they are programed to work! Instead of scaling the fan usage with the GPU temp, the fan usage is locked at 23%! The only way to fix this permanently without having to use RivaTuner all the time is flashing the bios which is how they broke in the first place. If there is a brand of 3870 that someone has and which they can confirm has a working scaling cooling system ill get two of those and continue with crossfire, but i dont want to risk getting another pair of 3870s that will require a bios flash and having those break as well!

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks a lot dos, it will probably be around thursday when i hear from overclockers and if they are going to refund me or return my old cards. If i get a refund ill have a look around for an X2 and get one of those, or maybe get a pair of those PowerColor's as judging by the reviewer who said his hit 40c under load they have a working cooling system!

TRENDING THREADS