can´t get fluid gameplay

pdfs30

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
i recently bought a xtx 7950 gt and although i get good fps (above 40) in all games i can´t get fluid gaming.
Does anyone know what could my problem be ?

thanks for your help

e6400 , gigabyte ds4 , 2gig kingston ddr2 667mhz , winxp

pdfs30

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
i dont think its the psu. A friend of mine connected yesterday a second psu to check if that was the problem and the computer had the same behavior. As for the drivers they have had been installed and uninstalled diferent versions.

pdfs30

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
nfsmw, nfs-carbon, oblivion (medium settings 1280X1024), citylife, fear, .....
I always make sure i have a good frame rate (over 40) but even if they go up to 60 or 70 the game doesn´t run smoothly.
The only exception is jade empire special edition, the frame rate is always betwen 28 and 30 and the game runs smooth

Farhang

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2007
Strange...70FPS but doesn't smooth ??
turn the V-Sync ON in the NVidia Control Panel.
try different resolutions & refresh rates.
disable all back ground programs (anti virus, anti spy, etc).
if all didn't help...install a new fresh windows XP (not vista)& before installing anything(except drivers), install one of your games(Need For Speed Carbon for example)& see if it runs smooth.

cleeve

Illustrious
Are you quoting an AVERAGE framerate or MINIMUM framerate?

Minimum is the important one. You want the minumum framerate to stay above 30 at all times.

An average framerate of 40, with minimums dipping into the teens will stutter like crazy.

Adjust the image quality settings and lower your resolution until your MINIMUM framerates are nice & high...

pauldh

Illustrious
Unfortunatetly, the GF7 series is weak at Oblivion and Need for speed Carbon. For Carbon, make sure you disable motion blur. Oblivion, hit Tweakguides and dumb down min grass height & grass distance, and also the shadows (turn off self shadows, shadows on grass, tree canopy shadows, in and out shadows to 50%, and set shadow filtering to low.

As far as NFS Most Wanted, there is a stutter-bug with it that affects some people even if it's a high end rig. You can have great framerates and still get hit with the occasional stutter, which varies person to person how frequent it happens. The issue was all over the official forums and as far as I know never fully resolved for many people. Shoot, it affects the XBox 360 version too.

pdfs30

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
thanks for all replies , i´ve tried all of your sugestions (today i will re-install xp - the one i haven´t tried). If the problem persists i going back to the store