X1900XT @ 90°C/194F

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hi all,

I bought the Sapphire Radeon x1900xt 256 about 2 weeks ago. When i run oblivion in ultra detail, it tends to get very hot, about 90° Celsius or 194 Fahrenheit. (saw it using ati tool) Is this too hot?

Some more info: i still use the stock cooler that came with the card (which blows the hot air out of the case). The card itself is clocked at stock speeds and installed in a Matrix VX case, with 2 large 120mm fans taking care of the ventilation.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Stock fans will do the job, so don't worry.

You might want to use ATITool to increase fan speed in decrease temp.

By 90C won't really burn your card.

cleeve

Illustrious
It should be a bit cooler than that.

I'd up the fan speed to the loudest you can bear with using Ati Tray Tools...

You also might want to take the thing apart and put some high-quality thermal paste between the GPU and cooler, instead of the stock stuff. Make sure to wipe all the old stuff away first, and to use a very thin and uniform layer of, say, Arctic Silver or Arctic Ceramique.

This'll let you have a look to make sure contact is good, too.

Da_junka

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I have the exact same card and today I installed a Revoltec Graphic Freezer pro on it, cost me £15 from Overclockers and its amazing. The massive fan is constant and wisper qiuet, my temps are now 39-idle and 64-under load at core-621 Mem-720 and even under load after playing for hours theres not a sound from the heat pipe.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
My X1800XT used to get to those temperatures, and it hindered me from overclocking because it would reach 100 degrees when I put the core speed up!

So I bought a 3rd party cooler - the Sytrin KuFormula VF1-Plus, which was about £20. It's brought my maximum temperature (overclocked) down to about 70 degrees at load on the very quiet fan mode (although I'm jealous about Da_Junka's cooler - it sounds even better!)

Check out this toms hardware review of most of the latest 3rd party graphics card coolers if you're interested:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/08/30/vga_heat_pipe_cooler_roundup_2006_uk/

bluesquid

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
I have the xtx, and while running fear it would get to 94 or 95!

so I went with water cooling. I bought a bunch of parts from swiftech, for about 150.

Now I have 30 idle, and it tops out at 54. My chip still has the stock cooling. but with all that cool water running around the internal tubes, that cooled down 10 degrees. and the chip used to get so hot with all that heat from the XTX.

I would do something. anything. That heatsink is crap. it doest blow any air out the back. all that heat is still in the case. all that heat is not needed, and may degrade components faster.

mhbjmsr

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
are you serious about not blowing air out the back? i can feel the hot air blowing from my xtx. maybe yours is broken.

Tyrvidar

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2003
Hi all,

I bought the Sapphire Radeon x1900xt 256 about 2 weeks ago. When i run oblivion in ultra detail, it tends to get very hot, about 90° Celsius or 194 Fahrenheit. (saw it using ati tool) Is this too hot?

Some more info: i still use the stock cooler that came with the card (which blows the hot air out of the case). The card itself is clocked at stock speeds and installed in a Matrix VX case, with 2 large 120mm fans taking care of the ventilation.

Use ATITool, Adjust the fan speeds. Override the normal ones as they are insufficient.

I use the "Dynamic based on GPU Temperature"

0-55 I have it set at 35%, keeps it at 48-50c. The Hotter, the faster you set your fan. Works great for me. Beats running your Fan at 80% all the time. My settings usually keep it around 70c or below. Before it would shoot right to 90c like yours.

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Sorry for not being here for a while=> was very busy...

are you serious about not blowing air out the back? i can feel the hot air blowing from my xtx. maybe yours is broken.
I use the hot air flow as a central heating. Keeps my room nice and warm:)

No seriously, i noticed that the CPU fan never spins at full speed. Most of the time, when i switch back from Oblivion (alt-tab), the speed is but 27%. (AtiTool).

Use ATITool, Adjust the fan speeds.
I will definetely try to make the fan turn faster and if it doesnt work, i'll buy a new ventilator.

BTW: tnx for replies!