Q: DVI & VGA card, will it support Dual Monitor on both¿

Kallen

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
If so, can someone post card suggestions that do support this or any recent cards that have two vga inputs? Are there any VGA 'splitters' that allow dual access from one vga port?

If te above is not common, how is it I'm hearing about cards with 3 monitor support.. how does that work?

Thanks in advance

Kallen5k@yahoo.com

177ine177ine

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hey there, i'm not sure exactly what you're trying to ask, but yes, a card that has DVI and VGA outputs will support one monitor plugged into each to give you two displays. Most newer cards have either 2 VGA, 1 VGA and 1 DVI, or 2DVI outputs, and most of them come with a sufficient amount of DVI to VGA adapters. I currently have a 6600gt with two 19" flat screens plugged into the DVI and VGA output.

On the topic of what you've been hearing about with 3 monitors, that is probably either SLI or Crossfire, which is unlikely, or more likely a device such as the Matrox Triplehead2go which takes one VGA port and splits the image across 3 19" displays giving you widescreen. I'm not sure how exactly it works, but there's also another Matrox tool that does the same thing with two displays from one VGA port.
Hope this helps
L8r
Alex

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
It's pretty simple in it's function, it makes the card and in return the computer think that there's a monitor connected to the port that supports a resolution of 3840x1024 (or 3 1280x1024 monitors) via the EDID communication between "monitor" and host machine. The device then splits the signal for the single "monitor" into 3 signals for actual monitors.

Also, while I'm on it, when put into a SLI mode, you simply cannot support multiple monitors. You can have 2 cards running independently and use them to span across 4 desktops (assuming dual outputs on the cards), but this is not any SLI.

Note: "monitor" in quotes refers to the Tripplehead2go