Best ATI card for £65 max?

Hi all,

From my sig you can see I am looking into components for a new rig. I am
confused about a graphics card though. I'm not sure what would give me the
best bang for (UK) buck. People have said much about the 9500 Pro and
up...But I have looked at this comparison chart:
http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/zestawienie_GPU_2/skala_wydajnosci.html
and am now confused as to why I am hearing that a 9500Pro with 275GPU clock
and 550Mem clock apparently performs better than a 9600Pro with 400GPU clock
and 600Mem clock, and some even claim it beats the 9600XT! I have looked
around and the 9600Pro looks like a good buy...So what would you advise?

Cheers,

Neil
--
Gaming Rig in development = Athlon 64 3000 @ 1.8GHz/2.0GHz, 512MB PC3200,
80GB HD, 256MB XFX GeForce5500 (From system below), Stock 300w PSU

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> and am now confused as to why I am hearing that a 9500Pro with 275GPU
> clock and 550Mem clock apparently performs better than a 9600Pro with
> 400GPU clock and 600Mem clock, and some even claim it beats the 9600XT! I
> have looked around and the 9600Pro looks like a good buy...So what would
> you advise?

The 9500 Pro, although clocked 275/275 has 8 pipelines and 128bit memory.
I've yet to see a thorough test where a 9500 Pro will consistently
outperform a 9600 Pro or 9600XT. The link below is to a very exhaustive test
of the 9500 Pro, 9600 Pro and 9600XT along with 77 others. See for yourself.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/over2003/index.html
Although an excellent card and still generally available, they are now
obsolete and the primary appeal is that many ones with the "L" shaped memory
can be modded into a 256bit 9700 equivalent.