Mike

Splendid

Hi,

I intended to get a Sapphire 9600 XT Ultimate (a 9600 XT without fan),
but in a review over here:
http://www.rage3d.com/content/reviews/video/sapphire9600xtue/?page=3
they mention that under load the card goes to 65°C!! Isn't that way too
hot?!!

What is the official max temp for this card to run safely, so that you
don't risk instability, overheating, shortened lifespan for the card,
etc..?! Aren't there any online specifications that mention the max.
temp for this card, cause I couldn't find it on the Sapphire website?
Anybody who has the card and can check the specifications that came with
it if they mention the max. temp for this card?! Or perhaps that
Catalyst driver mentions it?!

PS: perhaps somebody can also mention the official max. temps for the
9800 Pro in case you know this.

Mike.

for 0.13 micron sized chips like to be aroung 60 Celcius...

Don't know about GPUs... might be different.

"Mike" <please.reply@in.group> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I intended to get a Sapphire 9600 XT Ultimate (a 9600 XT without fan),
> but in a review over here:
> http://www.rage3d.com/content/reviews/video/sapphire9600xtue/?page=3
> they mention that under load the card goes to 65°C!! Isn't that way too
> hot?!!
>
> What is the official max temp for this card to run safely, so that you
> don't risk instability, overheating, shortened lifespan for the card,
> etc..?! Aren't there any online specifications that mention the max.
> temp for this card, cause I couldn't find it on the Sapphire website?
> Anybody who has the card and can check the specifications that came with
> it if they mention the max. temp for this card?! Or perhaps that
> Catalyst driver mentions it?!
>
> PS: perhaps somebody can also mention the official max. temps for the
> 9800 Pro in case you know this.
>
> Mike.

"Mike" wrote
> I intended to get a Sapphire 9600 XT Ultimate (a 9600 XT without fan),
> but in a review over here:
> http://www.rage3d.com/content/reviews/video/sapphire9600xtue/?page=3
> they mention that under load the card goes to 65°C!! Isn't that way too
> hot?!!

Hi,
My Atlantis 9800 hits 70°C max on GPU & MEM and still works fine! although
I really should install the VGA-Silencer and BGA-RAMsinks that I bought
about 5 months ago :p
--
Wayne ][

I dont know the max temps for video cards, but if you know the fabrication process, its fair to say
that the max temperature will be the same as a cpu with the same fab process. The following link
provides the max die temps of AMD processors, so that would be good as a benchmark
http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuid.html

70 degrees c seems to be normal for a .013u process, so I guess you are a bit high at 65, but still
within spec.

"Sham B" wrote
> 70 degrees c seems to be normal for a .013u process, so I guess you are a
bit high at 65, but still
> within spec.

Hi,
My 9800 is hitting 65°C during testing, and that's with case temps of about
28°C, this is with the stock HSF. I took the measurements from the back of
the GPU.

It did hit 71°C during a hot day!

--
Wayne ][

Well I asked my Computer Retail vender the same question.

He was told by Intel that operational temp on good 0.13 chips (meaning their
cpus) is 80 Degrees Celcius. Beyond that you get unstablility and
eventually failure.

So I wouldn't worry about it.

Now the "good" chip means every chip made is slightly different in quality,
then get processed in volumes... some a functional and other are
outstanding.