£1000 to spend on a Camera - What would you do?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 8, 2005 4:00:56 PM

This is a purely hypothetical question based on a conversation I have been
having in a previous thread...

If you had £1000 (approx $1500 or ?1500) to spend on a camera what would you
buy and why :)

Camera must be fully functionnal, I.E you can't choose a 'Body Only' SLR
without a lens and you must have some memory to use with it (or film if you
so choose).

If you think a prosumer would be a better bet feel free to do so.

It has to be assumed that this will be the only purchase for a minimum of
one year, in other words you would have to make do with whatever you choose
for at-least one year for all your usual photography needs before buying any
further upgrades.

Budget can include camera and numerous lenses/accessories or your choice or
camera on it's own.

Items can be second hand or brand new (provided second hand prices are
realistic and/or proven by a link)

If somebody wants to choose a film camera that is fine too. A second hand
one would be an interesting comparison.

Maybe the film choice could be in conjunction with a scanner.....

Might be interesting if we have different proffessions such as
sports/wildlife photographers too.

OK, there you go.....let the fun begin :)

I will post my response separately...

More about : 1000 spend camera

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:00:57 PM

I'd buy a $200 p&s, then throw one helluva party!
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:18:24 PM

My personnal preference would be to buy a used Canon EOS 300D body (the
original rebel) for the bargain price of £300 from e-bay and then spend
another £360 on the EF-S 17-85 USM IS lens to go with it.

Link for Body:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EOS-300D-300-DIGITAL-AS-NEW-WITH-...

Link for lens:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Canon-EF-S-17-85mm-IS-17-85-i...

That leaves £340 for flash, tripod and memory.

2 Gb Compact flash approx £65 (at present)

580EX for approx £250

Which Totals £975 which leaves £25 for a cheap tripod.

What do you think everyone?

"John Ortt" <johnortt@noemailsuppliedasdontwantspam.com> wrote in message
> This is a purely hypothetical question based on a conversation I have been
> having in a previous thread...
>
> If you had £1000 (approx $1500 or ?1500) to spend on a camera what would
> you buy and why :)
>
> Camera must be fully functionnal, I.E you can't choose a 'Body Only' SLR
> without a lens and you must have some memory to use with it (or film if
> you so choose).
>
> If you think a prosumer would be a better bet feel free to do so.
>
> It has to be assumed that this will be the only purchase for a minimum of
> one year, in other words you would have to make do with whatever you
> choose for at-least one year for all your usual photography needs before
> buying any further upgrades.
>
> Budget can include camera and numerous lenses/accessories or your choice
> or camera on it's own.
>
> Items can be second hand or brand new (provided second hand prices are
> realistic and/or proven by a link)
>
> If somebody wants to choose a film camera that is fine too. A second hand
> one would be an interesting comparison.
>
> Maybe the film choice could be in conjunction with a scanner.....
>
> Might be interesting if we have different proffessions such as
> sports/wildlife photographers too.
>
> OK, there you go.....let the fun begin :)
>
> I will post my response separately...

September 8, 2005 5:24:51 PM

John Ortt wrote:
[]
>> If you had £1000 (approx $1500 or Euro 1500) to spend on a camera what
>> would you buy and why :)

I would actually get the two cameras I have now. Panasonic FZ5 for
telephoto shots and Nikon 8400 (now discounted) for 24mm wide-angle shots.
I might look between the FZ5 and the Canon S2 IS. No need for add-ons or
accessory lenses. Might get a 55mm polarising filter as well. Would have
been nice if batteries and memory cards were the same style, though.

Image stabilisation mostly rules out the need for a tripod. I would
manage with on-camera flash. I like to travel light.

Take a holiday with the money left over, or get an Epson P-2000 for
storage in the field.

David
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:49:55 PM

David J Taylor wrote:

> John Ortt wrote:
> []
> >> If you had £1000 (approx $1500 or Euro 1500) to spend on a camera what
> >> would you buy and why :)
>
> I would actually get the two cameras I have now. Panasonic FZ5 for
> telephoto shots and Nikon 8400 (now discounted) for 24mm wide-angle shots.
> I might look between the FZ5 and the Canon S2 IS. No need for add-ons or
> accessory lenses. Might get a 55mm polarising filter as well. Would have
> been nice if batteries and memory cards were the same style, though.
>
> Image stabilisation mostly rules out the need for a tripod. I would
> manage with on-camera flash. I like to travel light.
>
> Take a holiday with the money left over, or get an Epson P-2000 for
> storage in the field.
>
> David

I'm not too good on cams and names etc and often think something is
good when it isn't and vice versa, so I'd have to ask around but I'd
really want something which takes great point and shoot stuff but with
the capability of manual work too, and I'd still like a big zoom,
though I don't think I'd want separate lenses as my mind doesn't
always take on board everything it needs to anymore and I think the
learning process would be too long.

One thing I would like that my present cam doesn't have is good low
light shooting

now... where's my £1000? :o )
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Paul Heslop wrote:
[]
> One thing I would like that my present cam doesn't have is good low
> light shooting
>

> now... where's my £1000? :o )

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090801sonydscr1.asp

should be about the best low-light camera today with no DSLR
complications. 10MP, but the zoom is limited to 120mm, though.

David
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:54:16 PM

David J Taylor wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> []
> > One thing I would like that my present cam doesn't have is good low
> > light shooting
> >

> > now... where's my £1000? :o )
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090801sonydscr1.asp
>
> should be about the best low-light camera today with no DSLR
> complications. 10MP, but the zoom is limited to 120mm, though.
>
> David

wow, looks the business, compared to my little Oly. I really like that
shape too, I find cameras pretty hard to hold nowadays. Sadly, without
the camera fairy showing a grand under me pillow it'll remain a pipe
dream though.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:05:24 PM

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:00:56 +0100, John Ortt wrote:

> This is a purely hypothetical question based on a conversation I have been
> having in a previous thread...
>
> If you had £1000 (approx $1500 or ?1500) to spend on a camera what would
> you buy and why :)
>
> Camera must be fully functionnal, I.E you can't choose a 'Body Only' SLR
> without a lens and you must have some memory to use with it (or film if
> you so choose).
>
> If you think a prosumer would be a better bet feel free to do so.
>
> It has to be assumed that this will be the only purchase for a minimum of
> one year, in other words you would have to make do with whatever you
> choose for at-least one year for all your usual photography needs before
> buying any further upgrades.
>
> Budget can include camera and numerous lenses/accessories or your choice
> or camera on it's own.
>
> Items can be second hand or brand new (provided second hand prices are
> realistic and/or proven by a link)
>
> If somebody wants to choose a film camera that is fine too. A second hand
> one would be an interesting comparison.

And another 35mm film camera? Already have 4 bodies, 3 motors and a half
dozen lenses. All Nikon. All manual. All I need.

I basically already did this about a year ago, but with half of your
budget. I shoot professionally and needed a digital SLR for fast
turn-around times on b&w PR photos, headshots, and available light stage
productions. Largest print size needed: 8x10; however, most of the stuff
would be for the web or photo offset brochures or magazine publication.
All things considered, my optimum choice was:

Used Canon D30 kit w/o lens, mint ------ $450 US
New Sigma 18-50 f3.5-5.6 D ------------- 125
4 - Lexar 256 MB CF cards -------------- 80 (on sale at Wal-Mart)

TOTAL $655

Shortly, I plan to add the Canon 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8, both used, if I can
find them, mostly for no flash, available light work. So, let's say that
runs another $500 bringing my total to $1155. What to do with that left
over $345? Ah! Just enough to get another D30 body as a backup. The
prices have dropped since last year, and I get really nervous having only
one digital camera body. ;-)

Stefan
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:24:00 PM

salgud wrote:

> I'd buy a $200 p&s, then throw one helluva party!

:o ) I already have a couple of small cams so I could just throw the
party!
--
!