Looking for a decent, light laptop below £500

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWhaleTrain

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hi there, I just wanted some expert advice on buying a new laptop. I recieved my current laptop, Acer Aspire 6935G, as a gift and although the specs hold up as still being a decent laptop, it is a bit too big and heavy to carry around with me. I go to college and would like to take it, but due to the weight I am unable to carry it around all day, leaving me with shoulder pain. I do have an iPad and although it suits my needs for now, I don't have an internet connection 24/7 so it will be hard to transfer docs etc. say if I have to hand in some College work on that day...

My needs are as follows:

# Light (Required)
# Slim (Not required but optional)
# Compact (Again not required)
# Dedicated Graphics (Prefered)
# Be in the price range of £300 - £500
# Atleast 4GB RAM
# Intel CPU (i5 maybe?)
# Looking to avoid Acer laptops but not bothered

I have been looking at a range of laptops and was considering a MacBook. I think i am going to skip buying one though due to Apple with their restriction on which models get an OS upgrade etc. and also the price I have to pay in order to get one.

It would be great if you could help me and any help is appriciated :)

Thanks,
MrWhaleTrain

MrWhaleTrain

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Thank-you for your reply. Sorry about the tight budget,just really thinking it would cover for a decent laptop is all. I have looked at both the ones you recommended and would like to get the Asus i7 laptop once I get the money. The one thing that troubles me is, would I see a difference etc. between an i5 laptop and an i7? For example. speed etc. Also what are the integrated cards on laptops like these days as I see those two don't have them...

In reply to the Sony one you recommended also, I found the Dell Inspiron 15 to be cheaper with roughly the same specs but with 6GB RAM rather than 4GB. Is Dell ok for their laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.