Gaming Laptop for £1,200

Status
Not open for further replies.

angaddev

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I have loaned my aunt my Early 2011 MBP for her work purposes, and all I have is my dad's Core 2 Duo / 320M MBP from god knows when. Since I have some moneys, I want to get a new laptop for my gaming and my budding interest in photo editing.

1. What is your budget?
£1200
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13'-15'
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1680x1050 or 1080p please!
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I want it to be portable, but weight is not a big issue since I don't usually carry it around unless it is in a suitcase, though anything that is REALLY heavy will be inconvenient.
5. How much battery life do you need?
I usually keep it plugged in except for short usage or on the plane, so anything over 4 hours will do
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Minecraft, Dungeon Defenders, Portal 2, Total War, Civ 5, Sim City, Team Fortress 2, Wargame:EE, Super Meat Boy, Skyrim, and other Indie games. The better games should rum on low/med, and the indies and civ should rum at least medium

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Light/Medium photo editing
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 500GB, maybe an SSD too.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
£1,030
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-msi-gx660r-650uk-266ghz-intel-core-i5-480m-8gb-ddr3-so-dimm-1tb-hdd-blu-ray-writer-win-7-hp

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saving/show.aspx?id=450006

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years, it getting outdated is NOT an issue, although I get jealous of new stuff :p
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
One that can write to CDs and DVDs and read them too. Also should be able to read DVD-ROM and CD-ROM, but no BluRay pls
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Don't like dell, I had an optiplex and a laptop, both broke and sucked while they lasted, and I have a grudge against HP since I bought the *** 1st gen Touchsmart
13. What city do you live in?
London, England
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I need Win 7 Home Prem, no office needed though home and student would be nice in case someone else wants to use it

gregck

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
@Ram1009 - douche much? no one expects to play battlefield 3 maxed out on a laptop, seriously...

@Angaddev, some of the newer IVB laptops have been utilizing some kepler based gpu's and are pretty damn efficient when it comes to switching between the hd4000 and the gpu.

As for recommendations, i am looking into the samsung series 7 (the 17.3 version has a 1080p screen) - kepler 650m + IVB 3615QM

You could also max out an HP DV6 to have 660m/1080p screen/3610QM CPU/bluray/1TB drive for under $1000, and you can also get a free xbox if you're a college student (no .edu email required to get it from HP)

good luck

angaddev

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Thanks for the advice IS this the samsung you were talking about? pretty good deal.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-550P5C-15-6-inch-Laptop/dp/B007VBEQ56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341725063&sr=8-1
I am interested in the hp but I can't seem to find, it, can u give me a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.